• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS for a SA 9.8

38 posts in this topic

I had Roy Thomas sign a a 9.8 copy of Invaders #1... he signed it too hard. It came back a 9.6. I've attempted to sell it and for now I'm keeping it, but I couldn't even manage to get an offer of 1/2 of what I paid for it.

It's a risk to take and you have to be sure you can live with it if it comes back lower

I keep hearing this, and it makes sense.

But I think for me, I need to know the probability of whether it would stay in grade or come back a lower grade in order to assess exactly how much risk I'm taking.

...It's good to hear people's experiences to help me do this.

That is going to be based on the book itself. Was it a slam dunk 9.8 or did it eek by. Also even slight SCS would be a major factor.

Man, when Charlie gets back and puts up a pic of the cap you guys are gonna :sick: .But i still bid on it lol (and was destroyed)

I want to see a pic of the Cap #100

Unfortunately, I no longer have a scan of it. I didn't want that memory sitting in my photobucket. :grin:

Good for you (worship)

I don't have the nads for such a venture. For a book to survive 40-50 years in 9.8 condition...or close to it, in the case of pressing....it would just break my heart for it to be mangled in an instant.

A book dropping from CGC 9.8 to CGC 9.6 is not a mangling. It is a change in the little number in the left hand corner of the plastic case.

My submissions have turned out well. That is a result of careful handling by the witnesses of course. Luck comes into play once the signer has the book in his/her hands and the witness is thinking, please don't xxx this up.

I submitted Iron Man 1, Captain America 100, Nick Fury 1 and Captain Savage 1 all in 9.8. The only one that dropped to 9.6 was Cap 100 because Stan Lee decided to sign in a different area of the book halfway through signing his name. He scribbled out what he had wrote and signed again.

Its a tense game to play with high dollar books and its completely out of your hands. You have to be willing to accept a grade loss before you even send your book.

As for who handled my books:

NF1 and CS1 Anthony (Pirate)

IM1 Unknown (I had the book carried to the con by a friend who found a witness)

IM1SS.jpgNF1SS.jpg

Grails, you are putting your Iron Man #1 SS in the November Pedigree Auction?

My submissions have turned out well. That is a result of careful handling by the witnesses of course. Luck comes into play once the signer has the book in his/her hands and the witness is thinking, please don't xxx this up.

I submitted Iron Man 1, Captain America 100, Nick Fury 1 and Captain Savage 1 all in 9.8. The only one that dropped to 9.6 was Cap 100 because Stan Lee decided to sign in a different area of the book halfway through signing his name. He scribbled out what he had wrote and signed again.

Its a tense game to play with high dollar books and its completely out of your hands. You have to be willing to accept a grade loss before you even send your book.

As for who handled my books:

NF1 and CS1 Anthony (Pirate)

IM1 Unknown (I had the book carried to the con by a friend who found a witness)

IM1SS.jpgNF1SS.jpg

Grails, you are putting your Iron Man #1 SS in the November Pedigree Auction?

No, that is not my auction. I sold that book almost a year ago. The Nick Fury will never be for sale as it was personalized to my daughter. (Unless she sells it one day).