• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten modern keys if we started a portfolio?

115 posts in this topic

Buy raw and slab yourself. It is the only way to go, unless there is a book you have to have. But if you slab yourself, you have to be willing to deal with 9.6s and an occasional 9.4. That's where most of the modern collectors have a problem, and it is the only reason that CGC mods go up in price at all. Gotta have that 9.8!

He is exactly right. Its a shoot there so you gotta buy cheap.

Nothing.

The market is far too young, diverse, and what keys exist are at or near their high values now, or have peaked and begun the long downward slide.

If you buy a Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8 for about $400, what are the odds that it's going to go to $800 before inflation eats it up?

And, then, what is "the next hot thing" that you can discover before everyone else? And in the internet age, is this even possible? There is simply no way to know what will "pan out" in the future. New Mutants #98 spent all of the 90's as a $2 book. So did the rest of the Liefeld run, #87 excepted (which was a $5-$10 book.) Who knew it would have any real power as a back issue?

If you bought Ultimate Spiderman #1 CGC 9.8 in 2003 for its average of $500, 6 years later (granted, a small amount of time for investment, but certainly not insignificant) you would have seen that investment shrink a whopping 40%, to $300.

And that's one of the best performing moderns of all time.

Investing in modern comics is like playing the Ring Toss at the County Fair. You're guaranteed to lose.

Anyone know the print run for Ultimate Spiderman #1?

Nothing.

The market is far too young, diverse, and what keys exist are at or near their high values now, or have peaked and begun the long downward slide.

If you buy a Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8 for about $400, what are the odds that it's going to go to $800 before inflation eats it up?

And, then, what is "the next hot thing" that you can discover before everyone else? And in the internet age, is this even possible? There is simply no way to know what will "pan out" in the future. New Mutants #98 spent all of the 90's as a $2 book. So did the rest of the Liefeld run, #87 excepted (which was a $5-$10 book.) Who knew it would have any real power as a back issue?

If you bought Ultimate Spiderman #1 CGC 9.8 in 2003 for its average of $500, 6 years later (granted, a small amount of time for investment, but certainly not insignificant) you would have seen that investment shrink a whopping 40%, to $300.

And that's one of the best performing moderns of all time.

Investing in modern comics is like playing the Ring Toss at the County Fair. You're guaranteed to lose.

Anyone know the print run for Ultimate Spiderman #1?

Wiztard reported 88,000 in 2001, 2002 or thereabouts.

And, then, what is "the next hot thing" that you can discover before everyone else? And in the internet age, is this even possible?

Yep. I'm always way behind on everything :cry:

Anyone think that somewhere down the line, the creator will be how keys are chased in the future? I mean, in book collecting, an author's first book is usually the most expensive; subsequent books less so (assuming the author has high quality books throughout his career). Why is it so different for comics? I mean why isn't Ed Brubaker's first comic more sought after then his first Captain America?

Even Ed Brubaker's Captain America #1 can be had relatively cheap and it's certainly more easy to find than other "keys" from his Cap run.

In my opinion, I think what lended towards the Ultimate Spider-Man #1 depreciation is the fact that they started a second volume with a new #1. They should have kept the numbering ongoing.

Even Ed Brubaker's Captain America #1 can be had relatively cheap and it's certainly more easy to find than other "keys" from his Cap run.

In my opinion, I think what lended towards the Ultimate Spider-Man #1 depreciation is the fact that they started a second volume with a new #1. They should have kept the numbering ongoing.

It was nothing more than the collecting community saying "we've moved on. What's the next hot thing. Oh, hey, look, Walking Dead! oooo...look, Cap #25....hey, look, something shiny!"

The community has always had ADD. It is a testament to the popularity and scarcity of Ultimate Spiderman #1 that it has held its value this long. It's done what no comic since Conan #1 has done, value-wise.

Every single hot new comic in between, no matter how hot, crashed, and usually crashed hard. Shazam #1? Ha. Howard the Duck #1, New Teen Titans #1, X-Men #137. Turtles #1. Fish Police #1. Nick Fury vs. Shield #1. Green Arrow Longbow Hunters #1. Killing Joke. Batman #428. New Mutants #87. Harbinger #1. Superman #75. Gen 13 #1. Lady Death #1. Vengeance of Vampirella #1. JLA #1. Thunderbolts #1. Rising Stars #1.

The list is endless....

I certainly see what you're saying and to a large extent I agree with you. But Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and the series itself was an extremely long running series, notable for the long collaboration between Bendis and Bagley which outlasted a certain other, notable and prominent Spider-Man creative team.

It's still my belief that they hurt themselves by restarting the numbering on the series. Why would a modern collector care about the original Ult. Spider-Man #1 when they can get the New #1 with a shiney (omg) holo-foil cover/sketch variant. If the numbering had been ongoing, I'm certain collectors would still be inclined to go back to where it all started for Ultimate Spider-Man.

Now the Ultimateverse is just messed up (Thank you Jeph Loeb). I'm waiting for the Ultimate Avengers tpb.

hack slash # 1 cassy first app

I didn't put this on my suggestion because I think it's a longshot but I did pick up 25 copies for myself. Just a hunch :gossip:

25 copie of the current serie # 1

hack.jpg

or is firstt app in 2004

hackslashfirstapp.jpg

1st appearance in 2004.

It was nothing more than the collecting community saying "we've moved on. What's the next hot thing. Oh, hey, look, Walking Dead! oooo...look, Cap #25....hey, look, something shiny!"

The community has always had ADD. It is a testament to the popularity and scarcity of Ultimate Spiderman #1 that it has held its value this long. It's done what no comic since Conan #1 has done, value-wise.

Every single hot new comic in between, no matter how hot, crashed, and usually crashed hard. Shazam #1? Ha. Howard the Duck #1, New Teen Titans #1, X-Men #137. Turtles #1. Fish Police #1. Nick Fury vs. Shield #1. Green Arrow Longbow Hunters #1. Killing Joke. Batman #428. New Mutants #87. Harbinger #1. Superman #75. Gen 13 #1. Lady Death #1. Vengeance of Vampirella #1. JLA #1. Thunderbolts #1. Rising Stars #1.

The list is endless....

But why not jump on those when they're hot? How long of an investment are we talking about. NM #98 was a $2 book. Did anyone here buy it at $2 and put it away? Did anyone buy it when it was 1st released that he would appear in Wolverine and going for $10?

The only comics I hold onto for a long period are those I enjoy. Short term investment is my suggestion.

I certainly see what you're saying and to a large extent I agree with you. But Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and the series itself was an extremely long running series, notable for the long collaboration between Bendis and Bagley which outlasted a certain other, notable and prominent Spider-Man creative team.

Yes, but we know that had nothing to do with the value of US #1 in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, etc, for obvious reasons..

It's still my belief that they hurt themselves by restarting the numbering on the series.

I don't disagree with this at all, it's definitely a factor in "back issue appeal". If you took that I was disagreeing with that, my apologies, as that was not my intent. One of the biggest reasons for the value of back issues is definitely continuity. A person unfamiliar with comics picks up an Action #800-whatever and says "whoa! They've published 800+ issues of this book? I wonder how far back it goes!" and the spark is lit.

But for moderns, I think it's a bit too soon to place too much emphasis on "rebooting" (which is funny, as US #1 was, iteself, a "reboot") as a big factor in the decline of value of earliest issues. Definitely A factor, yes. But probably not nearly as big as the ADD "gotta move on to the next big thing, and US #1 was SOOOO 2000-2006" aspect of collecting, at least for now.

The fact that the original Ultimate Spiderman is now a cancelled series will only accelerate whatever run to the bottom it may have, before it joins the ranks of "old comics worth collecting"

The list is endless....

But why not jump on those when they're hot?

And how, exactly, does one do this?

Walk into a local store and pick one that looks promising? Even better, order copies out of Previews two months in advance? Oooo...recipe for disaster there.

Buy a book "on its way up"? How does one know where "up" is? What if one buys at the peak?

Find books that are selling for $$$ at cover price? How does one do this, especially in the internet age? Where does one find an NYX #3 for $2.95? $5? $10?

And how can anyone possibly INVEST in something in which there is a finite, not easily acquired supply?

What you're suggesting is not investment, but speculation.

Risky, risky game, with very few benefits.

How long of an investment are we talking about. NM #98 was a $2 book. Did anyone here buy it at $2 and put it away?

Yes indeed.

Alot of research.

Walk into a local store and pick one that looks promising? Even better, order copies out of Previews two months in advance? Oooo...recipe for disaster there.

Works for me. Of course that may go back to the research.

Buy a book "on its way up"? How does one know where "up" is? What if one buys at the peak?

It's on its way up if it increases in value and has hit its short term peak if its declining.

Find books that are selling for $$$ at cover price? How does one do this, especially in the internet age? Where does one find an NYX #3 for $2.95? $5? $10?

The internet age has helped me to identify potential. I'm confused how it hinders you.

And how can anyone possibly INVEST in something in which there is a finite, not easily acquired supply?

You might want to say this to yourself out loud.

Start here

FYI - the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value - - oil? gold? Maybe you just single handedly explained the stock market crash (worship)

Risk vs Reward - are you goating me into yet another debate?? :slapfight:

Come on then, what should I buy in November? :popcorn:

Alot of research.

lol

Where does one start?

What....EXACTLY...research does one do to determine which books are "hot" PRIOR to the rest of the market knowing?

Then you will fail. Only one out of every 2,000-3,000 or so comics published becomes "hot."

Tell me, in this month's Previews, which book is the next big thing.

We'll visit this thread in 6 months, and see how accurate you were.

It's on its way up if it increases in value and has hit its short term peak if its declining.

lol

You answered a question that wasn't even asked!

And how is one supposed to know where this is PRIOR to these actions?

The internet age has helped me to identify potential. I'm confused how it hinders you.

I'm quite certain you're confused by a great many things, but pay attention, I'll type this slowly so you can understand it: back in the olden days, it was possible to "scoop up" hot books because information was slower to disseminate, and anyone with inside information could easily act upon this information BEFORE it was made general knowledge.

Now, in the era of the internet, when such information is distributed at the speed of light...or, at least, highspeed DSL...this is no longer possible.

You might want to say this to yourself out loud.

Start here

FYI - the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value - - oil? gold? Maybe you just single handedly explained the stock market crash (worship)

I guess you don't really understand what "not easily acquired" means....

Risk vs Reward - are you goating me into yet another debate?? :slapfight:

goat.jpg

I've never goated anyone into anything. But don't flatter yourself (again)...as everyone will tell you, I will happily debate anyone until the cows come home.

It's "my thing."

Come on then, what should I buy in November? :popcorn:

lol

(thumbs u

Thank God for smart people....

Bingo (thumbs u

For me and I can only say me I never buy from Previews or Mail order as investment I buy only to read when I order online.

Now in the back issue market it is research, luck and monitoring sales that are the key. Keep up with threads that track sales, see what is selling in your local shops, read what is coming out and selling well then look for early appearances of that character that are hard to find/low print runs. Check out previews and actually go into local shops and see what is selling well.

This isnt rocket science. Several dealers here do this all the time. I am not right all the time, but I am right more then I am wrong. You can pick up books here or other places dirt cheap sometimes you just need patience and some good sites to search on. Speculating on moderns is hard if it wasnt more would do it, but I wont deny I enjoy the challenge of the chase. Even if I dont find anything that day it was still fun looking.(Try chasing 35 cent variants)