• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten modern keys if we started a portfolio?

115 posts in this topic

Personally, I think UnRested Spectre needs more lines in his signature.

HIYO! :idea:

I think it was longer before ;)

That's what she said.

:eek: Sorry to hear that.....

:applause: Hiyo!

When did I become so popular?

P.S.

Where are you all in my DC appreciation thread?

P.S.S.

My signature was longer, but to add the Black Lantern Corps oath... had to get rid of the written out designates I had to identify the oaths.

right, im gonna go out on a limb, and even though i have a slight bias, im gonna say 'The Boys'.....fantastic series, relatively low run and hard to CGC high due to the fact the first six covers are black. there's only just over 50 # 1 grade at 9.8 and 12 of those are ss. thing about this series is DC pulled out at # 6 and actually did a recall of the book so its not only hard to get, but at 9.8....???? now i know for a fact a movie is in the works and is not gonna be held up like the 'Preacher' was...Simon Peggs already lined up for 'Wee Hughie'... 2c

right, im gonna go out on a limb, and even though i have a slight bias, im gonna say 'The Boys'.....fantastic series, relatively low run and hard to CGC high due to the fact the first six covers are black. there's only just over 50 # 1 grade at 9.8 and 12 of those are ss. thing about this series is DC pulled out at # 6 and actually did a recall of the book so its not only hard to get, but at 9.8....???? now i know for a fact a movie is in the works and is not gonna be held up like the 'Preacher' was...Simon Peggs already lined up for 'Wee Hughie'... 2c

The Boys is a lot of fun.

Pegg, however, is quoted as loving the book, but also quoted as saying he's probably too old for Wee Hughie...

linky

The Boys is a lot of fun.

Pegg, however, is quoted as loving the book, but also quoted as saying he's probably too old for Wee Hughie...

linky

can't see anyone else doing it...he wrote the introduction in issue # 1 and the characters actually based on him from the start

My .02...

i agree with the low print run theory, however there's something to be said for sleepers from marvel/dc that have characters that pick up 5-10 years down the line. how many iron man 55's, hulk 181's etc are out there? marvel and dc print runs were amazingly low in the last decade or so compared to what it was in the 80's-90's.

my incomplete list...

Walking Dead #1: Yes, just like everyone else says. The book has legs and is one of Images few money makers. AMC TV series in the pipeline, low print run, etc...even 2 variants (Black warning label/white warning label).

Invincible #1: More Robert Kirkman love. Has the best rogues gallery this side of spidey. Low print run. #'s 10-13 are especially difficult as the print run continually dropped until rebounding with 14. I think it was down to 5k at one point.

Proof #1: Great read, very very very very very low print run. Doesn't register on the top 100-300 or whatever books per month. Image is supposed to start some big push with it for the 25th issue I think. Very few Image books hit #25. Get yours now, if you can find one!

Mouse Guard: Yep, love me some mice.

Batman Animated #12. Harley is going to blow up.

Fables.

Marvel Zombies 1 #1.

Most likely we'll start seeing more and more graphic novels hitting higher and higher levels, especially in high grade. These typically have print runs in the 3-7k range. There are plenty of these that are already commanding healthy premiums and how many of you have heard "i just pick up the trades these days, the story is self contained and i can put it on my bookshelf".

at the end of the year, I will make a top ten list from these posts

lots of posts in this era, I wonder why? people actually are reading moderns for the love of them or there is another Bone,Goon,TMNT or Walking Dead in these recommendations? hm

Proof #1: Great read, very very very very very low print run. Doesn't register on the top 100-300 or whatever books per month. Image is supposed to start some big push with it for the 25th issue I think. Very few Image books hit #25. Get yours now, if you can find one!

Smart man with the PROOF love. :banana:

I think #1 was around 6K, but yes, currently it rarely registers on the top 300.

I'm hopeful that they will push it starting with #25 or at least give it a legitimate hurrah when they go to the renumbering after #28. If that piece of junk Viking got the flip treatment in TWD, then Proof is certainly deserving to be flipped in both TWD and Invincible.

I pick up copies of #1 whenever I see them. Even if they aren't ever worth anything, it's still a book that rules whether people know about it or not.

I think #1 was around 6K, but yes, currently it rarely registers on the top 300.

I'm hopeful that they will push it starting with #25 or at least give it a legitimate hurrah when they go to the renumbering after #28. If that piece of junk Viking got the flip treatment in TWD, then Proof is certainly deserving to be flipped in both TWD and Invincible.

I pick up copies of #1 whenever I see them. Even if they aren't ever worth anything, it's still a book that rules whether people know about it or not.

I really don't see anyone else clamoring for #1 issues though, case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Proof-1-Image-Comics_W0QQitemZ130335455577QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e58993959

It's still a good comic, but it's actually gotten a lot cheaper to pick up early issues than it was a year ago.

I really don't see anyone else clamoring for #1 issues though, case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Proof-1-Image-Comics_W0QQitemZ130335455577QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e58993959

It's still a good comic, but it's actually gotten a lot cheaper to pick up early issues than it was a year ago.

Yeah. It's not a hot book, obviously. With the appropriate marketing push, it could be. I've seen them sell like that, but I've also seen them sell at $25. I've sold a few at $15. All depends on who is looking for them.

So the original post said 1995 and later, but others have listed books before then so here is my pick with evidence.

From 1991 BONE #1.

At the time of this post there is an hour left on this auction for a CGC 9.6 and it's at $1,411.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360196984056&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

sad to read all the positive stuff about Proof... I just picked up another copy of #1 along with Neg Burn 7 just for the heck of it. Man, that was a great series!

+1

Loved that book.

If you are a Proof fan thats the book to hold. Its print run was nothing like 3K or less if I remember right. If Proof ever takes off that book will skyrocket, but its a gamble. The book would have sold better if they would have used another artist I think very tough to enjoy the book in some issues.

If you can pick 10 moderns from 1995 and up to invest in, what would they be and why?Please give this some good thought as I am going to ask the mods for this to be a sticky. :wishluck: this is for investment purposes only.not a great read.

:)

Depending on how long of an investment and the budget I would buy the following 10 in no particular order.

NYX #3 Holds steady right now at about $150 and is a 1st appearance with a low print run. In the event that a movie ever comes out down the road then could it have Hulk 181 (1st Wolverine) potential? Hard to pass up.

Wolverine origins 10 1:100 variant. Not to start a trend but will Wolvie's son ever be a popular character? Over the last few years the 1:100 may have dipped a little but the regular editions have gone up. How long for a new character to get fans?

Chew #1...yes that's right I said it. Brand new title, lots of hype....could be a great investment or suck wind. Personally I like the read so it hopefully sticks. Walking Dead potential with a lower sticker price.

Walking Dead #1 I have to include it given the following. I haven't read much of it but the prices are steady and movie rumours are rampant. Very likely a short term high growth investment. A little pricier then my other suggestions.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Side note: On the civil war front - if you decide to go that route I would pick up #10 (Maybe it's #8 - sure someone can help). I believe it's the 1st appearance of (I forget his name) that Speedball becomes. I think his character will translate well to the screen or with future fans.[/font]

Messiah Complex #1 - ok - definitely an X-men fan I admit it. It is a 1st appearance that can be bought really cheap. Who knows what the character will become (only a baby right now)? Could be the next Phoenix? Gambit? Cable? and while you're at it X-Factor #26 which is the 1st new X-Force. I group them together since they are relatively cheap to buy now.

Invincible #1 Not overly familiar but good following and it's been holding steady in price. I believe a movie coming. Seems I only read Marvel and Image.

New Mutants 87 and 98 1st Cable. These may fall before 95 I can't recall but 1sts that stay strong in price. #98 is a little too pricey right now so be picky.

Preacher #1 - Movie potential

Ultimate Spider-man #1 If they keep the run going there is potential here. A #1 Spider-man and there is a variant. Even to look at Spider-man runs that ended the #1 always sells.

Spider-man V2 #36 I have to think 9/11 will never be forgotten. Tough black cover to grade.

Goon #1 Avatar 1999 - A more expensive recommendation but will likely increase in value. Large following and movie coming. Not the 1st appearance but 1st Goon title I believe. There is a Goon from Alabtross in 2002 and Dark Horse in 2003 that should be considered.

Well my X-men biased showed through but as Wolverine saids "I'm the best at what I do"

Good luck on the investment.

Agree with everything here still today except for Messiah because thats a reeeeaaaccchhhh. :baiting:

And Invincible 1 I think that ship has sailed. I dont see the book going anywhere soon unless Kirkman can use his clout to get a series or movie done and I have heard zero rumors on it. I think people are still buying it currently, but I think its on the way down.

I am not a Ultimate Spider-man 1 fan either never have been. I havent checked how the reboot has done for its sales though.

My suggestion would still be Hack Slash 1 Solo Issue. This book has winner written all over it. Its just a matter of time. Campy Horror, Hot Chick, Blood, Guts, Zombies, and one animinated movie out this year and another one in production hell currently. I still buy this book when I find a nice copy. It has a built in audience and he continues to draw in more of the Suicide Girls clan when he identified Cassie as one.

I would even recommend the series 1-4(2007) as well due to low print run. There are also some variants and error copies that are floating around that are very tough to find.