• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten silver keys if we started a portfolio?

114 posts in this topic

I know AF15 had that great run-up last year. My top ten Silver Age keys is based for a portfolio for the long term which is 10-20 years. To buy all these books CGC 2.0 in would cost a collector or an investor about $12000.

Ah, but would an investor purchase CGC 2.0 copies or would they purchase the highest grade available? Using your $12K figure, I would purchase the highest graded books of a particular mainstream silverage title I could find. 2c

Of course...a collector can purchase all 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, etc...depends on how much he or she has to invest.

Exactly, do you guys really think buying an AF15 today is a wise investment? REALLY? A lot of other SA books have more room to appreciate, mainly 1st apps of villains, ASM 14, FF5, GL7 etc. These could grow way more rapidly than any of the other ''top 10'' which will probably stagnate in the affordable grades.

40 years from now, AF#15 may very well be seen in the same light as AC#1 and Tec#27 is today. If you believe that, then yes, AF#15 is a good investment.

I think Marvel does a little better job marketing Spiderman to the kids than DC does marketing Superman and Batman, just me though... (shrug)

Exactly, do you guys really think buying an AF15 today is a wise investment? REALLY? A lot of other SA books have more room to appreciate, mainly 1st apps of villains, ASM 14, FF5, GL7 etc. These could grow way more rapidly than any of the other ''top 10'' which will probably stagnate in the affordable grades.

40 years from now, AF#15 may very well be seen in the same light as AC#1 and Tec#27 is today. If you believe that, then yes, AF#15 is a good investment.

I think Marvel does a little better job marketing Spiderman to the kids than DC does marketing Superman and Batman, just me though... (shrug)

Like I said there are at least 5-10 AF15s available for sale at any given time. How many Action 1s or TEC 27s have sold in the last year?... It's mainly a question of rarity. You miss out on one auction, there'll be another coming round the mountain. As a collector, I would love to own AF15; but as an investor, NOW is not the time to buy just my 2c

Rarity SHOULD beat out popularity

Like I said there are at least 5-10 AF15s available for sale at any given time. How many Action 1s or TEC 27s have sold in the last year?... It's mainly a question of rarity. You miss out on one auction, there'll be another coming round the mountain. As a collector, I would love to own AF15; but as an investor, NOW is not the time to buy just my 2c

Rarity is obviously an issue, but you can't completely discount the sheer mass of popularity. There may be 10x the number of AF15's out there, but there are likely to be 10x the number of collectors that want one 30 years from now as well. Certainly not saying that AF15 will ever rival AC1 or DC27 in dollar value, but I think it'll be on par with those two books as far as importance to comics and pop culture 25-35 years from now.

I think if you asked 100 kids who was "cooler", or who the liked more, Spiderman or Superman, 80 would say Spiderman. I'm sure you know enough about the collecting cycles to know that when those kids become big spenders they'll be looking for AF15, not AC1, price difference excluded...just my $0.02

Rarity is obviously an issue, but you can't completely discount the sheer mass of popularity. There may be 10x the number of AF15's out there, but there are likely to be 10x the number of collectors that want one 30 years from now as well.

10X?

I really hope you don't invest your retirement savings into comic books.

Anyways - the top-10 SA keys in 2040 will likely look pretty similar to the top-10 SA keys today.

Not saying you still can't make money on these books, but this "investment" list comes 40 years too late. It would've been much more valuable in 1970.

AF 15 is pretty much at the height of it's growth already so it isn't really a good investment right now, there 10 copies for sale at any given time. SA DC has a lot of catching up to do o there are still potential diamonds in the rough you can get cheap and sell high later, although the ship has sailed on SC22. I'd probably go a little more obscure to find Marvel diamonds like JIM annual #1, Strange Tales and other lesser keys right now.

Buy high sell low is not a good strategy (thumbs u

Why do you think Silver Age DC has a lot of catching up to do? Just because Marvel's have pulled so far ahead in price?

AF #15 Will be considered the AC#1 OR TEC #27 in the future,and I do believe it has much farther to grow,I know back in the eighties when a NM AF #15 was going for a 1000.00 dollars everyone said couldnt go any higher,please.We all know now dont we,in 40 years supply will have dwindled,and demand will increase.

:signfunny:

Reality is never a matter of 'SHOULD'...it is always about what is.

So in reality, Sugar & Spike #1 is much harder to find in any grade than AF #15.

Which would you rather have for investment purposes? :popcorn:

Every book's value is obviously determined by a combination of supply and demand. We're not talking about Sugar and Spike, of course, but desirably keys. Clearly the runup in Showcase 22 is being heavily influenced by the book's scarcity, especially in mid to high grade. Conversely, if AF 15 were as scarce it's value would be astronomical.

there's a lot of people absolutely sure of themselves in this thread, using what apparently is a lot of intuition and what one would charitably call severely incomplete data...if not just pulling stuff out of one's bung.

the only sure thing is that there's still money to be made on HG SA uber-keys, but how much and for how long is still totally up in the air

Hello fellow comic geeks - I've been away from the boards for a while but...here I am in the cyber-flesh.

I realize that the OP asked for a top-ten, but I think the list should be separated with a top-ten of DC and Marvel. Only ten books total would leave out some of the Marvel and DC that I would consider to be serious "key" books. Some examples would include the following;

DC

Flash 105 and 123

B &B 28

Action 252

Adventure 247

Marvel

FF 4, 5 and 12

ASM 14

Avengers 4

Many of these books would not make someone's top-ten list, but go out there and try to buy one in decent shape. They may not compare to the previously listed books, but most of them are pretty hard to find, and as for growth in value, they'll all stand the test of time. IMHO

BTW...nice to "see" you all again. (thumbs u

AF #15 Will be considered the AC#1 OR TEC #27 in the future,and I do believe it has much farther to grow,I know back in the eighties when a NM AF #15 was going for a 1000.00 dollars everyone said couldnt go any higher,please.We all know now dont we,in 40 years supply will have dwindled,and demand will increase.

A thousand in 1980 would have about five-thousand equivalent spending dollars today. (make your own conclusions).

I'm curious. Why do you believe the supply of AF15s will dwindle from the current supply? Do you know folks who are actively discarding them?

I'm thinking as collectors get older and begin to divest themselves of their collections, more AF15s will come to market.

:signfunny:

Reality is never a matter of 'SHOULD'...it is always about what is.

So in reality, Sugar & Spike #1 is much harder to find in any grade than AF #15.

Which would you rather have for investment purposes? :popcorn:

Every book's value is obviously determined by a combination of supply and demand. We're not talking about Sugar and Spike, of course, but desirably keys. Clearly the runup in Showcase 22 is being heavily influenced by the book's scarcity, especially in mid to high grade. Conversely, if AF 15 were as scarce it's value would be astronomical.

Yes, because AF 15 was, is, and always will be in higher demand than Showcase 22, regardless of SC 22's relative scarcity to AF 15. That's the point I was trying to make with my previous example, and I suppose I could have been more clear about it.

Riddle me this. Who and how much should a VF-NM copy (only 6 are available) of the origin and first appearance of a major character sell for? It is also a very tough book to find in high grade

Guest Star for years.

Co-Star in three different books for 20 years.

Starred in his own title for the last twenty years.

A thousand in 1980 would have about five-thousand equivalent spending dollars today. (make your own conclusions).

I'm curious. Why do you believe the supply of AF15s will dwindle from the current supply? Do you know folks who are actively discarding them?

I'm thinking as collectors get older and begin to divest themselves of their collections, more AF15s will come to market.

:gossip: A $1000 in 1980 has same general buying power as $2619 today... http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

While on the topic of inflation, $0.10 in 1938 has the same general buying power as $1.53 today. Too bad I can't take my $1.53 and go back to $1938 and buy an Action #1!