• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much $ would a CGC 9.8 copy of Action Comics #1 sell for?

262 posts in this topic

Shazam is an ancient wizard, who gives Billy Batson (and the rest of the Marvel family) the power to transform into the superhero Captain Marvel. Since DC Comics billed Captain Marvel's adventures under the name Shazam! since 1973, the superhero is often mistakenly referred to by his mentor's name.

Umm... isn't Shazam simply the word the boy uses to turn himself into Capt. Marvel?

Or is Shazam a character in itself?

The copyright ran out on the title "Captain Marvel" and Marvel snatched it up, putting out their own character with that name. So it's now property of Marvel Comics

Umm... isn't Shazam simply the word the boy uses to turn himself into Capt. Marvel?

Or is Shazam a character in itself?

The copyright ran out on the title "Captain Marvel" and Marvel snatched it up, putting out their own character with that name. So it's now property of Marvel Comics

(thumbs u

I'm certain this would have been discussed on the GA forums (i.e. the "future" of Capt Marvel).

Has it?

Any notable threads? I'm curious to read up about it.

Part of the problem may be that he's not Capt Marvel anymore, he's Shazam. Cap Marvel is part of the Marvel universe. He had a bit of a resurgence in the 70's with the TV series and comic book, but it was short lived. Plus, the nickname "The Big Red Cheese" isn't doing him any favors

He is still called Cap Marvel, but he can´t have his own title name like that, because of that Marvel BS. He was doing Shazam´s job for a while though, as he (Shazam, the magician) was dead.

Cap Marvel would need a really creative team to push him up again. I am certain, that he has the potential, I just don´t see anyone doing anything to prove that.

Personally, I´d want them to draw him with open eyes (they´re so small, it always looks like he hasn´t any) and they´d have to modify his suite and alter ego a bit.

But wouldn't referring to him as Captain Marvel be a copyright violation? How is it different from Dynamite changing the name of "Daredevil" to "The Devil" to avoid the same violation?

I'm certain this would have been discussed on the GA forums (i.e. the "future" of Capt Marvel).

Has it?

Part of the problem may be that he's not Capt Marvel anymore, he's Shazam. Cap Marvel is part of the Marvel universe. He had a bit of a resurgence in the 70's with the TV series and comic book, but it was short lived. Plus, the nickname "The Big Red Cheese" isn't doing him any favors

He is still called Cap Marvel, but he can´t have his own title name like that, because of that Marvel BS. He was doing Shazam´s job for a while though, as he (Shazam, the magician) was dead.

Cap Marvel would need a really creative team to push him up again. I am certain, that he has the potential, I just don´t see anyone doing anything to prove that.

Personally, I´d want them to draw him with open eyes (they´re so small, it always looks like he hasn´t any) and they´d have to modify his suite and alter ego a bit.

If you haven't yet you need to read DC's Kindom Come mini series. Their take on Captain Marvel blew me away.

hm If you as a Cap fellow say so, it must be interesting. I´ll give it a try.

Has it?

But wouldn't referring to him as Captain Marvel be a copyright violation? How is it different from Dynamite changing the name of "Daredevil" to "The Devil" to avoid the same violation?

I´m not really sure, but I think they just legally lost the name of the title, not the character.

If you haven't yet you need to read DC's Kindom Come mini series. Their take on Captain Marvel blew me away.

It's not campy like the original stuff.

Let me know how you like it.

It's not campy like the original stuff.

Let me know how you like it.

I will (thumbs u

9.8 wouldnt matter in the final analysis. there arent 4 copies above 9.0 in existence to create a price ramp.

In the current climate....a 9.8 W of Action 1 is 10 million easy.

lol

Find me someone willing to spend 10 Million on a funny book

9.8 wouldnt matter in the final analysis. there arent 4 copies above 9.0 in existence to create a price ramp.

In the current climate....a 9.8 W of Action 1 is 10 million easy.

lol

Find me someone willing to spend 10 Million on a funny book

seinfeld.jpg

That is one huge hocking pic of Seinfeld. Shaq is supposed to be an insane Superman collector who is vvery competitive,. Howard Stern is a huge collector of Superman as well, and whats 10 mill to him, like 100 for us mere mortals.

That is one huge hocking pic of Seinfeld. Shaq is supposed to be an insane Superman collector who is vvery competitive,. Howard Stern is a huge collector of Superman as well, and whats 10 mill to him, like 100 for us mere mortals.

I don't think Stern would pony up that kind of cash for this book. Just based on listening to him on his radio show, don't think he's big into collectibles... but that's just my hunch.

I don't think Stern would pony up that kind of cash for this book. Just based on listening to him on his radio show, don't think he's big into collectibles... but that's just my hunch.

We had this discussion about a year ago. It was really interesting. The discussion basically came down to this...some of the more established (ie. wealthy) member and some of the more experienced (ie. older) members seemed to agree that it would be tough to find someone to pony up over $5MIL on a funny book and we did discuss all the same people...Shaq, Seinfeld, Cage etc.

It was a really fun thread but I can't remember how to find it now.

I know some near mint copies have sold at close to a million dollars so I was wondering [font:Arial Black] IF [/font] a CGC 9.8 copy of Action#1 were slabbed and put up for sale how much could it sell for?

Not as much as an AF 15 in 9.8.

I know some near mint copies have sold at close to a million dollars so I was wondering [font:Arial Black] IF [/font] a CGC 9.8 copy of Action#1 were slabbed and put up for sale how much could it sell for?

Not as much as an AF 15 in 9.8.

:/

Experienced is older. What does tired of the status quo and miss american innovation mean? Proactive

maybe?

:jokealert: but I'll have to have a drink and ponder your question.

:foryou: