• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMICCONNECT Auction! What'd you win?!

35 posts in this topic

A better question would be, "What'd you lose out on?"

Comics I wanted:

-- Punch #20, FN, (sold for $285)

-- Dagar Desert Hawk #14, VG, $148

-- Thrilling #62 with Schomburg woman/tiger cover, FN+, $145

-- Out of This World #1, FN, $90

-- Mad #1 graded FN, $925

-- Strange Worlds #1, VG, $67

-- Worst From Mad #9, FN-, $16

I probably should have gone for the Punch #20 because it's the scarcest in the list, and it has two topless women in the cover art, along with a rocket babe.

The biggest disappointment is the Mad special, because I have been slowly piecing together a collection of those early Mad specials with the bonus materials, and that one is really hard to get with the record still attached. I had intended to bid $25 on it and then forgot and went to my friend's birthday party instead. Social activities can be a real drain on comic collecting!

I have never bought anything from Comic Connect before so I am a little extra careful with bidding. Has everybody's experience been positive in terms of the condition/grading? Also, do they handle return situations well? eBay is evil but at least I know my way around it. I'd like to participate in more CC auctions though.

Not to clutter other threads with this. Post your winnings if you want to show them off.

I won this:

Crippen copy that I think CC probably overgraded but it still wasn't a bad price. (Even if it was my max bid)

ExciteComics62.jpg

"probably" overgraded, lol you should put it up in the grading forum - make sure to include the BC scan - and see what people say. hm

still, it's a nice book that i was going to bid on before ultimately deciding against it. congrats on the purchase. :foryou:

you going to slab it, or keep it raw?

I have never bought anything from Comic Connect before so I am a little extra careful with bidding. Has everybody's experience been positive in terms of the condition/grading?

I've found raw grading to be a bit loose, and found some undisclosed resto on a few (luckily pretty cheap) books. I'd still bid on their books, but I advise bidding with some wiggle room.

Not to clutter other threads with this. Post your winnings if you want to show them off.

I won this:

Crippen copy that I think CC probably overgraded but it still wasn't a bad price. (Even if it was my max bid)

ExciteComics62.jpg

"probably" overgraded, lol you should put it up in the grading forum - make sure to include the BC scan - and see what people say. hm

still, it's a nice book that i was going to bid on before ultimately deciding against it. congrats on the purchase. :foryou:

you going to slab it, or keep it raw?

Well, I said "probably" to be nice. :whistle:

I probably wont slab it and if and when I ever do I'll just have Matt press out the bottom of it. It is a Crippen after all and my feeling on Crippens has always been that the majority have been pressed anyway.

I probably wont slab it and if and when I ever do I'll just have Matt press out the bottom of it. It is a Crippen after all and my feeling on Crippens has always been that the majority have been pressed anyway.

Can I ask why you think that most of the Crippens have ben pressed? Except it feels like every comic on this board has been pressed

Can I ask why you think that most of the Crippens have ben pressed? Except it feels like every comic on this board has been pressed

I'm not saying I specifically know that they were pressed just that with the way the bulk of the collection ended up being sold it's safer for me to believe they were pressed so that I don't have to think about it.

I've got a few D copies and most of them look like they would benefit from a pressing so, at least with the Jumbos and Jungles I have, I think they are generally unmolested.