• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Mountain

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking for reference works on the

White Mountain collection. Have a shot

at buying a few select, and need info.

Who has owned/bought/sold/slabbed etc

Any help appreciated

My Greatest Adventures.

Allegedly some nice f/vf copies.

Might be able to upgrade.

Pedigree doesn't mean that much to me as far

as my personal collection, just want some nicer

specimens.

My Greatest Adventures.

Might be able to upgrade.

Pedigree doesn't mean that much to me as far

as my personal collection, just want some nicer

specimens.

OK...but what do you want verified from a Sotheby's auction? confused-smiley-013.gif

My Greatest Adventures.

The page quality will be amazing and they'll smell like heaven. However, in those grades you shouldn't pay more than guide. Way back when, White Mountains were 3x guide regardless of the grade. Don't get me started on THAT phenomenon.

The page quality will be amazing and they'll smell like heaven. However, in those grades you shouldn't pay more than guide. Way back when, White Mountains were 3x guide regardless of the grade. Don't get me started on THAT phenomenon

You mean PCE's NM or NM+ White Mountains that really are VF or worse. I got some.

I agree that I wouldn't pay a premium unless the book is in NM- or better. Yes, they have very nice page quality and gloss but a defect is still a defect (regardless of pedigree or not).

The page quality will be amazing and they'll smell like heaven. However, in those grades you shouldn't pay more than guide. Way back when, White Mountains were 3x guide regardless of the grade. Don't get me started on THAT phenomenon

You mean PCE's NM or NM+ White Mountains that really are VF or worse. I got some.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one taken for a ride! Back in the old days, I paid multiples of NM for WMs on several different occasions from several different dealers (all advertised as NM to NM/M). I started to wonder whether my grading standards were out of whack because they all seemed like VF to VF/NM books to me. But I was naive and didn't demand my money back. As it turned out, I should have gone with my instincts.

Kudos to Bob Storm, who was the first dealer honest enough to tell me that WMs were overrated. Post-CGC, it would appear that WM has proven to be a lesser pedigree than PC or WPenn, although to give credit where credit is due, a disproportionate number of major keys from WM seem to have graded out as 9.4.

As a collection, the WMs were a fantstic HG bunch of books and include sweet copies of many SA keys. But just like the Bethlehems, not every single book was a killer copy. But that shouldnt tarnish the collection's reputation. Even the Mile Highs that have been graded arent all 9.4s or better.

This is the CGC side effect. At first I was upset that this would happen, that Pedigrees would get outshined by ananymous non-pedigreed copies turning up in better condition, But you know what? AT this point, Let the best man win - - the better copy is the better copy!