• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montreal Comic Con Review - w-pics!!!

68 posts in this topic

Hi,

Here is my first, and rather overdue, review of the recent Montreal Comic Con. We kind of discussed it briefly over in the events events thread, but here is the "OFFICIAL" review.

OVERVIEW

Well, this was our second 2 day event, and "event" is the right term because it felt like one. Usually we have one day cons that are little more than a giant store with little in the way of a soul or atmosphere, but this time the organizers made an effort to bring together a wide range of guests covering anime, comics, TV, wrestling, video games and more, meaning it drew an eclectic crowd. A crowd which numbered over 2,500 folks - a far cry from the 400 or so folks who normally attend.

There were PLENTY of women, and most of them weren't the type hanging off of their guy's arm with a look of disinterest on their face. These women were eager participants/buyers. There were also several pre-teens including 2 friends who were desperately looking for some VENOM/CARNAGE/SPIDEY comics, so I was happy to oblige and gave them a great price on a signed (BAGLEY) set of ASM #361-363. They were very pleased and it made my day to see them so excited!

Most of the dealers were local, from Montreal/Ottawa that is, but some noteworthy visitors included: HARLEY YEE and PARADISE COMICS. Sorry for leaving anyone out, but I admit I didn't really make the rounds so I'm not quite certain who else was there. I'm not used to be being in such a large vendor room here in Montreal. Having said that I was still able to make a profitable venture out of it despite the amount of competition. I guess renting just one booth and having quality books is the only way to go. Some of my dealer friends had 10 times as many books on hand, but they barely outsold me, and considering their overhead, well, do the math....

My sales highlights include:

IMSM #1 in VGish,

ASM #122 in VG/FN range,

BATMAN #232 in VG/FN range,

GL #76-77 in FN- range,

several nice ASM in the 44-70 in the FN range,

MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #6 in FN/VF,

NEW MUTANTS #98 VF/NM,

SUPERMAN VS. MUHAMMED ALI treasury (I upgraded recently through the boards so I could sell my undercopy)

almost all of my low to grade TOS issues (I just noticed last night while going through my bins),

and surprisingly several low grade SA issues of SUPERBOY and ADVENTURE COMICS to different buyers. :applause:

MARVEL ZOMBIES issues were still in demand, and I cannot believe it, but I can still get $40.00 for a 1st print set of CIVIL WAR with NO price resistance.

Other Sales Notes:

My handful of EC comics were popular. I only sold one, but the remaining ones are on hold. Vintage ASM in general was hot and in demand. Isn't it always?

CREEPY, EERIE, and FAMOUS MONSTERS mags were in demand, but folks wanted lower grade reading copies. Most of mine are FN/VF or higher...

Surprisingly, CGC sales were almost non-existent. I sold ONE all week-end. A common 9.0 ASM in the 170s range. A few folks inquired about WHAT CGC is, but no one seemed interested in paying any sort of premium for a graded book...

I had two VERY interesting encounters during the week-end. One involved the infamous Jerry (Gerry?) Ross, but I'll get into that one later. The other was more positive and a missed opportunity on my part since I didn't bring a lot of cash with me. A man approached me on day one with a sturdy plastic bag in his hand and asked if I purchased comics. I gave me standard answer of:"Certainly, depending upon what you have to offer and the asking price.". 95% of the time it's someone bringing a bag of 90s drek. Well, this was quite the opposite. He must have had about a dozen slabs in there. This is what I could remember:

FF #1 CGC 1.8,

AVENGERS #1 CGC 5.5,

GS X-MEN #1 CGC 7.5,

X-MEN #1 CGC 3.0 or 3.5,

ASM #1 CGC 3.0 or 3.5.

:cloud9:

Sadly, I didn't have enough cash handy. I REALLY WANTED the FF #1 and I would have made an offer on the rest too for resale. I left him a business card and expressed my interest, but I just couldn't abandon my booth to get funds. You all know what happened. They were sold elsewhere. One of the local dealers purchased the FF#1 from I what I heard :pullhair: and I saw the ASM #1, AVENGERS #1 and GS X-MEN #1 at my LCS 2 days ago. AND from what I heard the bag also held a HULK #181, TOS #39 and an AF #15. How did I overlook those?!?!? :tonofbricks:

Oh well....

Now on to the pics :headbang: Sadly, we forgot the camera on DAY ONE - the busier day with most of the costumes... :sorry:

The Mr. Ross story will come later this week.

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

That's me on DAY TWO.

The display rack was on loan from a buddy from Ottawa (thumbs u and I greatly appreciated it because it made a HUGE difference sales-wise. It was a blast setting it up since we had NO idea how to do it. Display virgins I guess you could call us. lol We were able to add a 4th shelf on day 2, but no one seemed to be shopping for wall books on day 2. Most of the folks came on day 1, including the big buyers, while the shoppers on day 2 were mostly interested in digging through the discount bins and TPBs.

TEST.jpg