• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape Removal Experiment 101101706

35 posts in this topic

Try a mixture of xylene and toluene.

Thanks. :)(worship)

Hey Scott, I tried a 50/50 mix and it removed the tape easily, but it also removed the ink. Any ideas how to get the glue off without the mixture dissolving the ink? The thing I like about the bestine is it doesn't hurt the inks at all and although the Xylene and toluene made it easier I am not sure the ink risk is worth it.

Did you ever read this?

Pressure-Sensitive Tape and Techniques for its Removal

It has a nice list of various chemicals that will work. Adhesive chemistry is pretty high tech and the solvent you use is going to depend on what adhesive the tape uses. I would guess there are literally hundreds of different adhesives that have been used on tape since the 1930's.

Thanks Cheetah, I sure have but I think different rules apply when dealing with comic cover that use surface inks. Its not that the tape isn't coming off with the solvents listed on the chart, its the inks coming off with them and bestine has been the only one I have found that doesn't do that. Some of the other solvents listed in that link are not easy to find either.

I looked up Bestine and it looks like it is straight heptane which has higher exposure limits than either xylene or toluene. It'll still blow you up at ridiculously low levels in the atmosphere but if the outcome were equivalent, I'd probably choose the heptane in a well-ventilated area with a well-fitted respirator.

It is manufactured by the folks that make rubber cement.

Somehow I totally missed this post. Indeed it is heptane, Thanks. I was reading up on the OSHA for that. It is a good thing I wear a hazmat,gloves,gloggles and duel cartidge respirator as that stuff kills.

No sparks or flame, otherwise..blowup.gif

Tape Removal Experiment 101101707

I just wanted to follow up and show the results of trying a 50/50 mix of Xylene and tolulene. It did remove the adhesive quite well be it is way to hard on the inks. I will have another example of tape removal in a day or 2. :)

SSba12.jpg

SSba13.jpg

Tape Removal Experiment 101101707

I just wanted to follow up and show the results of trying a 50/50 mix of Xylene and tolulene. It did remove the adhesive quite well be it is way to hard on the inks. I will have another example of tape removal in a day or 2. :)

SSba12.jpg

SSba13.jpg

Well dam Mike, you sure got rid of those pesky inks! Tolulene is some nasty chit bro, as you can attest. What book is that,era wise? It really depends on the era and manufacturer of the book which dictates what solvent to use and how long.

Tolulene will litterally eat up SA or certain pre code inks in a blink of the eye if you are not careful.

It was Silver Surfer # 14 in beat shape, so SA it is.

So that brings me back to the heptane, which doesn't remove the tape as easialy, but is much kinder on the inks.

That makes this experiment 101101708.

This Avengers #8 that I bought for 10 bucks is brittle and the tape has discolored the paper so I wasn't sure what to expect. Problems I have with the results is a silhouette where tape used to be, slight discoloration, loss of a tiny bit of ink on inside and 2 tiny pieces missing where the tear is. Things I am happy with is the tape is gone and another benefit that I was not expecting. I dry cleaned it a little between pictures but most of the change is from the solvent used. Cover is cleaner and whiter.

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01154.jpg

Scan0020-1.jpg

Scan0019-2.jpg

Scan0021-1.jpg

cover looks great now send in a book and see what it gets

I am not so convinced the book looks good but thanks for the compliment.

I would submit but I don't have the money to waste and this book just isn't worth enough to submit. I would be interested to see what it gets but it would take what, 30-40 days to get it back?

this is what you could do..just a suggestion.

a) keep your eyes out for already slabbed beaters in the 1 to 3 grade range that you can afford

b) fix it

c) and resub

this way you can see what kind of "improvements" can be translated from a stand point of money. Eventually, you want this to be a legit business so it would be nice to see before and after and all the monetary benefit of your works. I am not saying anything that you might already know so take it with a grain of salt.

of course this is after you are more confident in your skills but I have followed your progress since the first post here and you have done well after taking a lot of abuse in the early days.

Keep up the good work.

this is what you could do..just a suggestion.

a) keep your eyes out for already slabbed beaters in the 1 to 3 grade range that you can afford

b) fix it

c) and resub

this way you can see what kind of "improvements" can be translated from a stand point of money. Eventually, you want this to be a legit business so it would be nice to see before and after and all the monetary benefit of your works. I am not saying anything that you might already know so take it with a grain of salt.

of course this is after you are more confident in your skills but I have followed your progress since the first post here and you have done well after taking a lot of abuse in the early days.

Keep up the good work.

Thats a good idea etanick and when the time is right I will do that. I would be most interested on one where I raise the grade without it becoming a PLOD which is where the real value is. Going from a 2.0 blue label to a 4.0 PLOD with an (A) wouldn't accomplish anything. Its kind of screwy that spending money on fixing a book depreciates it rather the appreciate it. Then there's the weird thing CGC is doing giving taped books a higher grade than tear without tape. :screwy: That is just plain bullschit since slabing with tape means down the road tape will degrade and ruin the book while trapped inside the slab.I have seen what old tape has done to paper and its not preety. rantrant

Would it be possible for you to upload the images found in the first post again? They are no longer appearing and I am really looking for any information on how to remove old tape from some of my comics. Any advice/product recommendations/links you can offer would be much appreciated!