• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PROOF Appreciation thread!

108 posts in this topic

Just bought 1-15 from FoHun and love it! Anyone else reading it? I need the rest to catch up now...great book!

Bought the first 3 trades from Alex Grecian the writer of the series when he was at the recent Windy City comic con, in the middle of the 3rd volume now. It's a nice read so far.

C

It's a book that flies under most radars. IMO, it's up there with Invincible and TWD as one of the best books being put out. In fact, Proof and Invincible days are the ONLY days that I make every effort to get to the LCS on release day. Those books are read right away.

Much like those books, the art takes a bit of getting used to in the early issues, but takes off as the book progresses. The writing is awesome with some touching character stuff in the series.

AND it's out every single month which never happens on Image books. The creators are devoted and it shows. Every issue is crammed with comic / story related stuff with little to no ads. It's definitely the best value on the shelf for my money.

People compare it to Hellboy and the X-Files, but those never caught my fancy.

The creators are very accessible over on their Image forum which is cool. Grecian has said that the plan is to go through #28 as the end of season 1 and then relaunch the series with a new #1 to try and get people into the singles.

IMO, if this book would've came out around when Chew #1 or Viking #1 did, this book would be selling 15K copies easily..... so maybe starting with a new #1 might help.

More people should try this book. I hope it catches attention with the relaunch of the #1. It really deserves it.

Just bought 1-15 from FoHun and love it! Anyone else reading it? I need the rest to catch up now...great book!

I think you'll really enjoy the Julia arc in the more recent issues. Powerful stuff with some great art and colors. It's probably the best arc in the series since The Company of Men arc.

I've read the first 6 or so issues and keep meaning to pick up the trades but forget about it when I go to order.

Some great stories and the art is acceptable though a bit too, i don't know what but not quite my style. But it doesn't detract from the story.

Great books.

It's not.

#28 which is due in January is the end of Season 1 (not the series finale as the solicit reads). After that, there will be a slight break for PROOF, but Grecian and Rossmo will put out a 4 issue mini that is semi related to PROOF. After that, PROOF will return with Season 2 with a BRAND NEW #1!!!

I think the renumbering is a great idea. Most people who try the series seem to like it, but it's tough to jump right into the middle of the story.

Check out the Image boards - PROOF section for more info from Alex Grecian.

It's not.

#28 which is due in January is the end of Season 1 (not the series finale as the solicit reads). After that, there will be a slight break for PROOF, but Grecian and Rossmo will put out a 4 issue mini that is semi related to PROOF. After that, PROOF will return with Season 2 with a BRAND NEW #1!!!

I think the renumbering is a great idea. Most people who try the series seem to like it, but it's tough to jump right into the middle of the story.

Check out the Image boards - PROOF section for more info from Alex Grecian.

glad it's not the end!

I read the first issue of this series online and I'm afraid to say that it wasn't good enough for me to start buying it. Just what is it that's so good about this series?

It's a character driven series for the most part, which I always love. The main character, John (Proof) Prufrock is the beastly Bigfoot, but in many ways he is the most humane character in the book (although he does go ape mess on occassion).

For me, the draw is the characters and not the action much like The Walking Dead. In fact, the "cryptids" are almost backdrops to the story just as the zombies are in TWD. The writing seems to be on par with Kirkman's stuff too.

In my opinion, this is just the best original book to come along since TWD and Invincible. Chew is heading that way as well.

The art makes sense for the series. Both the art and coloring get stronger and stronger throughout the series. It's a bit different from the typical Marvel or DC stuff or the usual Image Central line art, but great in its own regard.

The fact that every issue is full of stories or PROOF related stuff instead of ads is a breath of fresh air.

I'll make my first post in like over a year to bump this and say, yeah, Proof is an awesome series. One of my favorites! The Julia arc has actually been my least favorite thus far tho... I'm really looking forward to getting back into the present.

Also not a huge fan of starting with another #1... but at least it's not cancelled like the solits seems to imply.