• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about selling at a show

26 posts in this topic

For years I didn't put a grade on the sticker. I figured the price was the most important thing.

And everyone has their own grading standards anyway, right?

So they are just going to grade it themselves and then see if the price fits in their range of expectation, right?

Wrong.

Folks want to see your grade.

For two reasons

1) By being able to see your grade they develop a little confidence that you know what you are doing.

2) By being able to see how you grade they have a starting point from which to beat you down on your price.

So I would recommend putting a grade on every book....

And develop a thick skin for negotiating.

For years I didn't put a grade on the sticker. I figured the price was the most important thing.

So they are just going to grade it themselves and then see if the price fits in their range of expectation, right?

Wrong.

For two reasons

1) By being able to see your grade they develop a little confidence that you know what you are doing.

2) By being able to see how you grade they have a starting point from which to beat you down on your price.

:roflmao:

Wrong.

For two reasons

While I am not overly concerned with someone's grading abilities and, as stated earlier, I'm not going to walk away from a dealer if they've substantially overgraded everything, but then are selling everything at 1/2 FMV of the real grade, I admit, I don't mind seeing the grade on there. This becomes more important for more expensive stuff (over $20). It helps put everything in context for negotiation...particularly if, in fact, the book is overgraded, I would haggle from that perspective. Problem is, most dealers who overgrade have no interest in being told they overgrade and negotiating based on knocking their grade down. They will often tell you to F-OFF when your first negotiating tactic is to tell them they've overgraded everything. That's why it's sometimes nice when the book has no grade on it....I'll take a stack and basically say everything is VG in the stack... the dealer then has to say which ones aren't and justify their grade, rather than pointing to the sticker and tellimg me it must be a VF, because the sticker says so.

Wrong.

For two reasons

very good advice. (thumbs u