• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRETTY BOOK OF THE DAY 1/18/04

19 posts in this topic

As an aside, here's further proof that eff effs are rarer in high grade than Spidey. Spidey #20 came out the same month as this book. In the Census Spidey #20 has eight 9.4s, four 9.6s, and one 9.8. Whereas eff eff #34 has four 9.4s - and THAT'S IT.

GO EFF EFF!!!

ff34.jpg

Between the miswrap and that *gag* pic of yours I'd have to say this is the most disappointing one to date... sorry.gif

The pic is much worse btw. boo.gif27_laughing.gif

But keep up the good work! thumbsup2.gif

Did somebody ever post that FF 1 in 9.6 I read about here somewhere around here?

Nice book, but it proves nothing.Spideys may have been submitted at a greater rate because they were hot and FFs were not.FFs went thru a very fallow period and are just now reaching the heated market that Spidey played in for years.Time will tell.

FFs went thru a very fallow period

When was this again? I must have missed it! foreheadslap.gif Darn my luck!!! blush.giffrown.gif

I can't trace any recent jump in the FF market...although I can trace a recent jump in CGC forum threads about FF.

FFs went thru a very fallow period

When was this again? I must have missed it! foreheadslap.gif Darn my luck!!! blush.giffrown.gif

I can't trace any recent jump in the FF market ...although I can trace a recent jump in CGC forum threads about FF.

You have got to be kidding! There have been record prices all over the place!

You have got to be kidding! There have been record prices all over the place!

They've been setting record prices since I started collecting them in 2000...every time one pops up it's a record price because people are afraid they're not going to see one again for another year or more. I've seen steady rises, not big recent jumps...double to triple guide for many early issues in 9.0 has been the norm for years.

Pricing alone is not the sole measure of how much demand there is for a title. Consider how quickly early FFs are being snatched up as soon as they hit the market (at record asking prices); Bob's books and recent Comiclink offerings come to mind. I think its safe to say that if many of these books actually hit eBay (in a pure, no Reserve auction format), the final sale prices may likely be even higher....because the demand is incredibly strong.

Consider how quickly early FFs are being snatched up as soon as they hit the market (at record asking prices); Bob's books and recent Comiclink offerings come to mind.

Still don't see how this is different than every year since CGC started! I haven't been through a time where I was able to consistently pay lower multiples of guide for FF as compared to Spidey; the FF multiples have been higher since I started going for the whole run in 2000. They've been quickly disappearing from ComicLink for years; that's the primary reason I've always checked there so often, because I've missed a bunch of nice copies that got insta-bought.

I think the only difference in our respective opinions is that I believe what has been consistently "hot" over the last few years has grown even hotter. I myself have been selling to buyers on eBay that weren't buying FFs just six months ago. I don't have access to GPAnalysis or all the pricing data you collected, but how common was it for people to pay 8 times Guide for 9.4 FFs in the # 15-18 range two years ago? We can cite the one sale of a # 16 in 2002 from the Overstreet Guide, but that trend has definitely proven itself consistent and stable this year.

I don't know...but just as a personal observation, even from January of last year, the market has grown much more competitive.

how common was it for people to pay 8 times Guide for 9.4 FFs in the # 15-18 range two years ago?

Books in that range haven't traded hands publicly in 9.4 or better since CGC started except once--the FF #16 hoodeedoo bought from ebay in 2002. He paid the exact same amount then that Bob's copy just went for.

Just out of general interest, here is every 9.4 or better sale of FF #1 to 20 that I've got a record for:

• 10/2/01 - #6 CGC 9.6 - $6311
  • 10/8/01 - #2 CGC 9.4 White Mountain - $23,876
  • 10/8/01 - #5 CGC 9.4 White Mountain - $14,823
  • 10/14/01 - #20 CGC 9.4 - $2222.22
  • 3/29/02 - #8 CGC 9.4 - $4500
  • 4/26/02 - #16 CGC 9.4 - $3500
  • 6/6/02 - #1 CGC 9.4 - $114,000
  • 11/7/02 - #8 CGC 9.4 (cream pages--not cream to offwhite, but simply cream) - $3150
  • 7/17/03 - #8 CGC 9.4 - $6612

I do believe this is almost every sale from public auction that has ever taken place since CGC started with the possible exception of the early Manning auctions--does anyone know if any sold there and for how much? If anyone is aware of other sales, I'm interested in hearing about them.

Interestingly, almost all of these books are now in the hands of forum members. smile.gif I don't know where the FF #1 went to; the username on the Mint was simply "Joey".

Just out of general interest, here is every 9.4 or better sale of FF #1 to 20 that I've got a record for:

[*] 10/2/01 - #6 CGC 9.6 - $6311

Doug "Did You Hurt Your Back" Schmell certainly made out like a bandit on THAT one! Granted, it has cr/ow pages, but still!

Was that an eBay sale?

[*] 10/2/01 - #6 CGC 9.6 - $6311

Doug "Did You Hurt Your Back" Schmell certainly made out like a bandit on THAT one! Granted, it has cr/ow pages, but still!

Was that an eBay sale?

I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person that sold it on eBay... foreheadslap.gif I made a very decent profit on the book, which I bought purely for investment, but to this day I still can't believe it sold for such a low price. Sure it had cream pages, but it was a 9.6 copy of an FF below 10, for crying out loud!!! In my arrogance I set a very moderate reserve and was stunned by the lack of bidding. Where were all of the FF fanatics on these boards when I needed you?!

Lessons learned: (i) set the reserve for what I really want, (ii) don't sell big-ticket books on eBay, and (iii) don't have your first sale on eBay be a big-ticket book.

Comiclink was the buyer, though, not Doug. I heard through the grapevine that the book was subsequently sold at a VERY hefty increase. Whether Doug was the buyer or whether it passed through more hands before reaching him, I do not know. But I'm glad it found a good home, it was a gorgeous book.

I made a very decent profit on the book, which I bought purely for investment, but to this day I still can't believe it sold for such a low price. Sure it had cream pages, but it was a 9.6 copy of an FF below 10, for crying out loud!!!

That's exactly what I was thinking when it sold. Even though it was over twice as much as I had ever paid for a book at that point, I was still kicking myself for not giving it more serious consideration.