• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the most sought after signatures?

78 posts in this topic

No SS, but the demand is great

Sam Keith, Alan Moore, Steve Ditko

Now this is something that really grinds my eyebrows. :frustrated:

As an aspireing comics creator myself, I consider it to be very disrespectful to your fans ( THE PEOPLE who made you famous enough to even be asked to sign something) to refuse to put yourself out there and make yourself available to them.

They paid their hard earned money for your funny books, they make it possible for you to make a living making comics, you should have the decency to show up once in a while to tell them "Thank you."

rantrant

I very respectfully disagree with this. These folks produced the art they produced as their job, career, profession, maybe even their life's work. If you enjoyed that, that is awesome. But they don't owe you (or me or anyone) anything as result of doing that work. That includes thanks, attendance at cons, signing things or even acknowledging our existence.That is demanding way too much of someone just because they are an artist as opposed to some other career.

You beat me to this response. I read the original post and thought the exact same thing. They gave you what you paid for when you bought their material the first time around, you're not owed anything else.

Maybe not, but these are the people who, without them most comic creators would be flipping burgers or doing some other thankless jobs. :P

I know that if I'm ever lucky enough to have fans of my work, I'm gonna do my best not to snub them because I know that ultimately, with out them, I'd be out of work. (thumbs u

As an aspireing comics creator myself, I consider it to be very disrespectful to your fans ( THE PEOPLE who made you famous enough to even be asked to sign something) to refuse to put yourself out there and make yourself available to them.

They paid their hard earned money for your funny books, they make it possible for you to make a living making comics, you should have the decency to show up once in a while to tell them "Thank you."

rantrant

I very respectfully disagree with this. These folks produced the art they produced as their job, career, profession, maybe even their life's work. If you enjoyed that, that is awesome. But they don't owe you (or me or anyone) anything as result of doing that work. That includes thanks, attendance at cons, signing things or even acknowledging our existence.That is demanding way too much of someone just because they are an artist as opposed to some other career.

Sean you are wrong. If fans didn't buy their stuff they wouldn't have a career. They would probably be homeless or flipping burgers or working as a insurence rep. Something boring where they never got to put their mark on the world. It is because of the fans that they have a job. I know if I ever became famous I would sign for anybody who ever ask. I have had plenty of creators who are "so big they don't have to sign" grant me an autograph. They didn't have to, they are rich and top of the A list famous, but they did. When a creator or celebrity won't sign for me I stop buying their product. Now if a creator has issues with crowds or has stalkers who might hurt them if they appear in public and do not want to attend conventions because of said reason. That is different.

I agree/disagree with all the previous points that have made here. The one thing I would add to the mix is:

rantrant

When someone enters the comic industry is there a clause indicating that signings are part of their job description? Being a comic creator does not require you to attend cons or signings. I understand that signings are a form of fan appreciation but I wouldn't go as far as to say that if a creator doesn't do signings they don't appreciate their fan base. I'm quite certain that creators understand fully that without fans/customers they wouldn't have jobs. With that being said I wouldn't hold it against them for not attending conventions or signings; it's 100% up to them whether or not they want to be exposed themselves to the masses. It's like the paparazzi of comics their subjecting themselves too.

I would never accused creators such as Ditko, Keith or Moore of not appreciating their fans for not attending signings; to be honest I find THAT to be selfish. They didn't enter the industry to help your SS collection; they did it put food on the table and a roof over their heads just like any other career. 2c

I agree/disagree with all the previous points that have made here. The one thing I would add to the mix is:

rantrant

When someone enters the comic industry is there a clause indicating that signings are part of their job description? Being a comic creator does not require you to attend cons or signings. I understand that signings are a form of fan appreciation but I wouldn't go as far as to say that if a creator doesn't do signings they don't appreciate their fan base. I'm quite certain that creators understand fully that without fans/customers they wouldn't have jobs. With that being said I wouldn't hold it against them for not attending conventions or signings; it's 100% up to them whether or not they want to be exposed themselves to the masses. It's like the paparazzi of comics their subjecting themselves too.

I would never accused creators such as Ditko, Keith or Moore of not appreciating their fans for not attending signings; to be honest I find THAT to be selfless. They didn't enter the industry to help your SS collection; they did it put food on the table and a roof over their heads just like any other career. 2c

Well said. ;)

rantrant

Sean you are wrong. If fans didn't buy their stuff they wouldn't have a career. They would probably be homeless or flipping burgers or working as a insurence rep. Something boring where they never got to put their mark on the world. It is because of the fans that they have a job. I know if I ever became famous I would sign for anybody who ever ask. I have had plenty of creators who are "so big they don't have to sign" grant me an autograph. They didn't have to, they are rich and top of the A list famous, but they did. When a creator or celebrity won't sign for me I stop buying their product. Now if a creator has issues with crowds or has stalkers who might hurt them if they appear in public and do not want to attend conventions because of said reason. That is different.

By that logic, should the guy that flips your burger come mow your lawn to show his appreciation for giving him a job? Mowing has as much to do with flipping burgers as signing autographs has to do with writing or drawing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as anyone that these guys do sign. But it is silly and selfish to think that these creators owe us anything more than the material they produce.

I consider signings and conventions to be part of the industry as much as printing and publishing. Don't other professions have conventions as well? Sure they do.

And what's the point of, let's say, an agriculture convention (where companies big and small all gather together for a big show)? It's to meet prospective buyers, shmooze with established clients and show new products.

To sum it all up; If 'BIG TOM'S TRACTORS' refuses to show at any farming conventions, BIG TOM'S TRACTORS are going to have a hard time getting anyone to notice them and buy their products.

Same thing applies to comics. :makepoint:

That said, I tthink that the introduction of CGC Signature Series books and the buying and selling of witnessed signatures for big bucks may be what has scarred off some of these creators. (shrug)

Of course is Ditko wanted to use/abuse the CGC SS system he could really rake in the cash like Frazetta does by limiting his signings and charging a boatload of money for his sig. :P

rantrant

I would never accused creators such as Ditko, Keith or Moore of not appreciating their fans for not attending signings; to be honest I find THAT to be selfish. They didn't enter the industry to help your SS collection; they did it put food on the table and a roof over their heads just like any other career. 2c

Moore does small signings in England doesn't he? I thought I've seen a few people mention this. (shrug)

Now if a creator has issues with crowds or has stalkers who might hurt them if they appear in public and do not want to attend conventions because of said reason. That is different.

Kris should know all about stalkers. :baiting:

yes I have had a few I am rather famous on the dallas bar scene

rantrant

Sean you are wrong.

No, Kris, I am not wrong. I have a different opinion than you do. I know you well enough to know that you are not being disrespectful. But I am not wrong and Tubby is not wrong and GG is not wrong and you are not wrong. We are all entitled to our opinions; and mine is both resolute and well-founded. So I leave you in the grace and favor of your chosen deity or lack thereof.

rantrant

Sean you are wrong.

No, Kris, I am not wrong. I have a different opinion than you do. I know you well enough to know that you are not being disrespectful. But I am not wrong and Tubby is not wrong and GG is not wrong and you are not wrong. We are all entitled to our opinions; and mine is both resolute and well-founded. So I leave you in the grace and favor of your chosen deity or lack thereof.

You're right.

Well I know that I am not famous. But I will spend time talking to my customers. If they want to go out for dinner I will put time in my schedule. If they want advice on how or where to sell a book or what books to get signed I will give them that advice. I have even done sketches for customers of mine who know that I can draw. I wouldn't want the burger flipper to mow my lawn but I might want him to deliver the food to my table and ask me if everything is fine. Is is too much to ask for a little interaction. It doesn't have to be a autograph (although I would really like one). I am always appreciative of the fact Steve Ditko will answer his phone and listen to his fans and say thank you. I know that because he does that someday he will sign again.

Well said, and you could not be more right.

Creating quality work to the best of their ability, that's where a creator's obligation to fans ends. Anything beyond that is a bonus that we should enjoy and appreciate, but shouldn't expect or demand.

Creating quality work to the best of their ability, that's where a creator's obligation to fans ends. Anything beyond that is a bonus that we should enjoy and appreciate, but shouldn't expect or demand.

It's just like any other "celebrity." Does Harrison Ford owe it to me to make himself available to sign autographs just because I sat through the last Indiana Jones movie?

Imo its not quite as cut and dry as that nor is it as simple as saying creators owe us.

Quality work is defined by how their fans react to their work. Their success is directly related to how popular their works are among the fans. No success no employment correct? Does that mean they owe us signings, appearances, etc? Not really.. but it would be the right thing to do.

But I digress... did I mention I love Michael Turner sigs? :insane:

It's just like any other "celebrity." Does Harrison Ford owe it to me to make himself available to sign autographs just because I sat through the last Indiana Jones movie?

No, but I demand that Harrison Ford or somebody involved in making that trash send me a refund :sumo:

If Steve Ditko put his CGC witnessed signature on a mid-grade AF 15. The price of that book would easily double, if not triple in value. So a $25K book becomes a $50K + book. What would Mr. Ditko get out of this? Either he signed the book for free. Or he charged X amount of money for that once in a lifetime opportunity. I guess he has decided he got paid for that job and that is the end of that. Or maybe he was put off by someone telling him a book he signed would never be sold. Only to find out the book was sold almost instantly.

It is very nice of these creators to sign there work. But it shouldn't be expected either. IMHO.