• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trends for Marvel Price Variants

42 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear about the lower-than-expected grades Glenn, but nice low deviation figure - fill me in if you want. You know I keep tabs on all our collections and notes as well. smile.gif Did you ask CGC what the issues was? Was it hidden water/moisture damage wrinkling the inside pages?...How did we let Terry get that Strange Tales so easily? tongue.gif Must be a book most folks have in pretty good shape? confused-smiley-013.gif That was one of my last 10 to go books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif....Nice pick up btw on the Sgt Fury - I've been so lazy on my "fury" searches this past week - always coming up with more new listings than I cared to wade through.

I will keep ypou well posted Darth. This was a just a small part of what I have into CGC. To say the least I have a lot of trade material. I am close enoght to a second full set of the 30 centers thgat I might be tempted to complete another.

As far as Strange Tales, I think it had water damage as I recall. Normally I would have gone for that and the Triple Action. Water damaged comics are teh bane of this delightful hobby. I suppose one day I'll have a batch of high priced ones out in front of me and spill a Coke on them or something. You might see a grown man cry.

There are certain comics that I am always on the lookout for, including Sgt Fury. It didn't hurt that for the price I have seen one variant Fury go fot that I also picked up a copy of #1 and just about all the run through 10, plus a bunch more. I saw Cosmic pick up a Red Sonja 5 35 center for 2.50. Makes me think I need to work a little harder.

This makes agood point however. When one of the board memebers lost their sanity and posted the Rawhide auction a few weeks back everybody responded with typical piety, claiming their search had turned it up anyway. I keep seeing Cosmic, Horkorp, myself and others turn over jewel after jewel, with only modest competition.

There can be two weeks go by without me checking on a lot of the 30 centers and especially the 35 centers. Everybody collecting does not just happen onto every book worth knowing about.

BTW for those of you that love comics and pinball machines, my wife bought me the new Lord of the Rings machine by Stern for Christmas. I own a few 1970's Gottlieb machines, but have never been impressed with the newer machines. This one has changed my mind. It is perhaps the best machine I have ever played. If you like pinball, you'll love the Lord of the Rings machine.

sign-offtopic.gifOK Glenn, you might not be able to make me jealous over variants, but your pinball machines might drive me nuts. What 70's machines do you have? Please don't tell me Mata Hari, Evel Knievel, or Bobby Orr's Power Play. I gotta disagree over best machine ever, though. Far and away, it's gotta be Funhouse.

By the way, everyone, nice pick-ups on the 30 centers. I wouldn't have been brave enough to gamble on the water-damage even when I was still looking for those issues. Let us all know how those books turn out. Like JC, I'm just sitting on the sidelines and letting you guys have all the fun while I return to my old collecting habits.

Sorry to hear about the lower-than-expected grades Glenn, but nice low deviation figure - fill me in if you want. You know I keep tabs on all our collections and notes as well. smile.gif Did you ask CGC what the issues was? Was it hidden water/moisture damage wrinkling the inside pages?...How did we let Terry get that Strange Tales so easily? tongue.gif Must be a book most folks have in pretty good shape? confused-smiley-013.gif That was one of my last 10 to go books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif....Nice pick up btw on the Sgt Fury - I've been so lazy on my "fury" searches this past week - always coming up with more new listings than I cared to wade through.

I will keep ypou well posted Darth. This was a just a small part of what I have into CGC. To say the least I have a lot of trade material. I am close enoght to a second full set of the 30 centers thgat I might be tempted to complete another.

As far as Strange Tales, I think it had water damage as I recall. Normally I would have gone for that and the Triple Action. Water damaged comics are teh bane of this delightful hobby. I suppose one day I'll have a batch of high priced ones out in front of me and spill a Coke on them or something. You might see a grown man cry.

There are certain comics that I am always on the lookout for, including Sgt Fury. It didn't hurt that for the price I have seen one variant Fury go fot that I also picked up a copy of #1 and just about all the run through 10, plus a bunch more. I saw Cosmic pick up a Red Sonja 5 35 center for 2.50. Makes me think I need to work a little harder.

This makes agood point however. When one of the board memebers lost their sanity and posted the Rawhide auction a few weeks back everybody responded with typical piety, claiming their search had turned it up anyway. I keep seeing Cosmic, Horkorp, myself and others turn over jewel after jewel, with only modest competition.

There can be two weeks go by without me checking on a lot of the 30 centers and especially the 35 centers. Everybody collecting does not just happen onto every book worth knowing about.

BTW for those of you that love comics and pinball machines, my wife bought me the new Lord of the Rings machine by Stern for Christmas. I own a few 1970's Gottlieb machines, but have never been impressed with the newer machines. This one has changed my mind. It is perhaps the best machine I have ever played. If you like pinball, you'll love the Lord of the Rings machine.

sign-offtopic.gifOK Glenn, you might not be able to make me jealous over variants, but your pinball machines might drive me nuts. What 70's machines do you have? Please don't tell me Mata Hari, Evel Knievel, or Bobby Orr's Power Play. I gotta disagree over best machine ever, though. Far and away, it's gotta be Funhouse.

By the way, everyone, nice pick-ups on the 30 centers. I wouldn't have been brave enough to gamble on the water-damage even when I was still looking for those issues. Let us all know how those books turn out. Like JC, I'm just sitting on the sidelines and letting you guys have all the fun while I return to my old collecting habits.

Best game ever? Paladin. Without a doubt.

And, here's todays buy from Tysons (which was spectacular, by the way. Just jammed, and boy did I spend a lot of cash) for 50 cents:

drstrange13.jpg

Best 70's machine hands down - Fireball. Many long happy hours spent in the pool hall playing that machine. cloud9.gif

Best 70's machine hands down - Fireball. Many long happy hours spent in the pool hall playing that machine. cloud9.gif

What money I made on my paper route that did not go into comics went into pinball machines. I currently own a near mint copy of Gottliebs "El Dorado" , one of the most sought after games of the era. It was made in 1976. I also have a reasonable copy of Gottliebs "High Hand". A fun game, but nothing special is a 1978 copy of Stern's "Meteor".

All the games mentioned earlier were a lot of fun. Just like with Marvel, however, I was always partial to Gottlieb. I was a big drop target fan and Gottlieb just happened to have the best drop target games.I did like Eight Ball Deluxe as well As Captain Fantastic, which were both Bally, I believe. I always liked the "pool table" pins.

After I got the Lord of the Rings machine, I was so enthused I went out to our local coin op distributor and had them sell me a used copy of last years Stern "Monopoly". I have never really enjoyed the new games like the old electro mechanical games, but these have really turned my head.

It is probably a story a lot of folks on the board could tell, but when I was a kid, I used to have to take a bus to Downtown San Jose where I went to "Bob Sidebottoms Comic SHop". Next door was an eatery with 2- 3 pins and I always dropped a buck or two there. The greyhound station was next to the public bus drop and they had another one or two that I always dropped a few quarters into. Comics and pinball machines have a very long history together with me. To this day, I have never really had fun with video games of any sort. I just can't enjoy a game unless it's pinball.

Oh man... I need to update my profile page to reflect my true #1 collecting goal... The first item I spend $5K on that has absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever will be a prime condition Funhouse machine...

I can quote every bit of Rudy's dialogue, can play for an hour on a single quarter on most any machine in the country, once recorded 37 Rudy Gulps in a single game, kept alive a multiball for 13 minutes...

There are several websites devoted to Funhouse, including one with folks showing off their copies, and I can't even log onto them anymore because every time I do I want to sell my car to buy one... Rudy was delivered to the campus game room during my junior year of college and my GPA that semester dropped almost a full point.

The Circle K down the road has a beat-to-hell Funhouse machine right now, and I have the owner's phone number programmed into my cell phone. The wife keeps telling me to call the guy, but as soon as he quotes me a price I'm liable to buy it... 893frustrated.gif

Funhouse... you had to mention Funhouse...

"What was that?"

"Stay away from the clock!"

"I see you now"

"Here buddy, have an extra ball"

"I'm getting sleepy"

"It's getting late."

Funhouse... you had to mention Funhouse... 893frustrated.gif

Glenn - my $1000 snipe did not even penetrate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2222558058

It was probably slayersboy's simultaneous and higher bid than mine that locekd me out:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=2222558058

but Mr Cs comics came out on top! Had no idea he was into X-men or variants so much confused-smiley-013.gif

Glenn - my $1000 snipe did not even penetrate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2222558058

It was probably slayersboy's simultaneous and higher bid than mine that locekd me out:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=2222558058

but Mr Cs comics came out on top! Had no idea he was into X-men or variants so much confused-smiley-013.gif

I got locked out with an 1100 bid. After it was all said and done, however, I was kind of glad.$1100 is a lot of money and it will make me feel pretty good about paying $250 when I see one of these X-Men issues in a CGC 9.2 or 9.4.

Yikes! That's a lotta money for a variant!

....it will make me feel pretty good about paying $250 when I see one of these X-Men issues in a CGC 9.2 or 9.4.

Yeah -- like you'll ever see a 9.4 X-men variant go for $250 on e-bay. My guess is that the regular edition alone would go for at least that in that grade.

I still remember back in 2001 or so, a CGC 9.4 X-Men 106 35-center went for less than the standard CGC 9.4 prices ($125-$150 or so).

I think I had two copies at that point, and just assumed it would go higher, but I still kicked myself for not laying down a bid.

I still remember back in 2001 or so, a CGC 9.4 X-Men 106 35-center went for less than the standard CGC 9.4 prices ($125-$150 or so).

I think I had two copies at that point, and just assumed it would go higher, but I still kicked myself for not laying down a bid.

I have just finally complete the X-Men 35 cent run.

Speaking of X-men - how'd I do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2223520023

You know I was only after the purple top variant...anyone else interested in the others? Or should I flip them on eBay? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Darth-

For the money I don't even know where to start, if this was god bad or what. I am not sure what the value of a restored variant is however. Goso luck!

Speaking of X-men - how'd I do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2223520023

You know I was only after the purple top variant...anyone else interested in the others? Or should I flip them on eBay? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's a pretty good price for early X-men books. I would assume the restoration was probably some kind of colorings, which I've seen more than a few times on bronze age books.

I say hold onto to 'em. They won't be going down in value any time soon.

I wonder if it really was VF/NM.

I hope mine has the same success 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No doubt this comic is almost certainly overgraded, probably more like an 8.0 based on my historical observation. Unless of course you bought comics from "Doc" in which case many could be as many as a full 4.0 overgraded! >:%

893frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif

That being sadi we had two more end recently: Avengers 149 in "VF/NM"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2224898739

This fetched 4.5 times regular guide, near it's historic high multiple. ANother likely 8.0.

Another infrequently seen item, Invaders 7 in "VF" going for 3X regular guide. That is right at its historic high multiple as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2224899481

These and the Hulk had almost 10 bids each, the most I have seen in a while and many unfamiliar screen names.

Good luck on your books Carlos. I have almost decided that throwing up CGC variants on eBay is like casting "pearls before swine". Buyers appear more interested in getting ripped off on unslabbed overgraded variant material than payinga fair price for proven quality.

FYI: For Doc Stone, I don't know what anybody else did, but I sent a very polite note stating the obvious. I suggested that I either needed to get a full refund or at least half my money back. To tell the truth, I'm not sure half is even fair. 893whatthe.gifWe'll see what happens.

Two things in my favor at least for helping others: First, I used the "goat" to buy, which can take negative feedback. Second: Doc already left me feedback, so nothing retaliatory, at this point, can be left. Any thoughts from the crwod?

So, from the sounds of it, the "moisture-damaged" books didn't pan out? If not, I'm sorry to hear it. Can the two of you let us know what the end result was? It was killing me to not bid on any of those.

Mine were not moisture damaged, although one that was not sold as such, was. The best I got was an 8.0 for a NM Conan.

I didn't bid on any of the moisture damaged beauties. My purchases went like this:

Thor 249 "VF-": Few spine bends, rounded rt corners, 1/2" non-color breaking crease on

FC, couple larger creases on BC.

I'd call it about Fine. Since the most serious stuff is on the back, this copy looks pretty nice.

MOKF 40 "VG/F": Two parallel long creases on FC, badly crunched lft crnr,

teeny chunk and tiny tear rght FC, maybe a dozen spine bends.

Maybe VG+ I'd say, Doc came closest to my grade on this one out of the three but then there's

a lot of room for flaws in the VG to VG+ range.

Champions 5 "VF-": bottom rgt crnr color-breaking crease visible in scan, rounded corners,

extra rounding dmg at bottom spine, 6 or so spine bends, several inch crease on FC, breaks color on Black Widow for about 1/2".

I'd say about Fine- at best.

Since my purchases were all low cost, and I didn't expect the grading to be quite up to what I'd grade, I'm OK with the deals from Doc. Not thrilled, but not complaining.