• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pencil marks erased

10 posts in this topic

I've just been looking through a silver age comic and on the first page I can see the faint remains of someone's name that had been written in pencil but at a later stage had been erased.

Now does this count as restoration ?

Or to put in more succinctly, which would you prefer ? Erased or not ? Which is worth more when you can only see the pencil remains if you angle the comic and look closely ?

Tough call. I suppose technically it is now restored, but as far as CGC goes, I'd ask 'em.. But such things on the inside pages are a lot less of a hit on grade than on the cover. Personally, I'd have left the name alone. (Hey - can you make out the name? Maybe it is someone famous!)

I'll let this post ride for a day and then, if no-one from CGC responds, I'll post it on the Ask CGC forum.

Not anyone famous on page 1. However once I did buy a comic with 'Bob Kane' written in. I doubt it was authentic - it looked like a school boy prank to me.

This whole aspect of making alteration X (whether for an improvement or not as in this case) and then trying to remove alteration X by some reasonable means is certainly a grey restoration area that needs clearing up (just like the pencil marks !!)

Interesting. I assume this means that the grade is unaffected. How would you feel about buying a CGC comic graded 9.4 only to find, when delivered, that it had the note saying 'pencil erased'. Do you think it would affect re-sale price if you did make it clear in the auction that the note existed ?

Interesting. I assume this means that the grade is unaffected. How would you feel about buying a CGC comic graded 9.4 only to find, when delivered, that it had the note saying 'pencil erased'. Do you think it would affect re-sale price if you did make it clear in the auction that the note existed ?

This is just what I thought I remembered seeing several times. I could be completely mistaken. But I do remember seeing it noted on the label before. It may. With the new labels I have a hard time picking up any added comments that you used to be able to pick up in the old labels even with tiny scans. The other thing is. CGC used to note writting on the label if there was any on the cover. So would they list any eraser marks if it was on the cover? Since I have no idea when the books I saw were graded it's possible they may not. If you search around you may be able to find some books that have pencil eraser marks noted.

It doesn't count as restoration and I doubt they downgrade for it below the 9.8 level. Since it's on the interior I bet they'd still give it a 9.8, possibly even 9.9 if that were the only defect. Here's a book exhibiting the defect in question:

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=803&Lot_No=6791&zoom=1&sid=99358241BE7F3D3C7EFD929D65F6CA51

Noted on the label. Eraser done to interior.

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=805&Lot_No=6065&src=pr&sid=99358241BE7F3D3C7EFD929D65F6CA51

Not noted on label done on back cover.

I couldn't find any non GA books. But I thought I had seen it noted for being done to the cover of an SA Spider-Man, but it could have also been done in the days when they noted writting on the cover in their labels...

It doesn't count as restoration and I doubt they downgrade for it below the 9.8 level. Since it's on the interior I bet they'd still give it a 9.8, possibly even 9.9 if that were the only defect. Here's a book exhibiting the defect in question:
thumbsup2.gif FF do you think they still note it on the label if it is done to the dront or back covers?

They don't note this type of exterior defect anymore; I don't think they note ANY defects visible from the exterior anymore. I dunno if they'd note it if it was on the interior; I doubt it.