• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Who are the Boxing fans on the boards?

35 posts in this topic

I was wanting to try and start some kind of contest with give-aways, it would be based on an upcoming boxing match, and would consist of three top spots. I would love more input if any body wants to help and participate.

Rules will be set-up depending on how many boardies sign up.

I use to be a HUGE boxing fan but have not really followed it for a number of years now.

I don't really care for the direction that fights have gone with all of these UFC things.

The first dozen or so were entertaining as a niche' but soon have taken over and overshadowed boxing.

Not to be rude or anything like that, but please reply in this thread if only about boxing, and the contest.

By the way I have nothing against MMA, or any other type of martial art, it's just that when ever I try to talk boxing MMA seems to come into the mix, ugh... boxing only. And in closing "Fedor is king!!!"

Not to be rude or anything like that, but please reply in this thread if only about boxing, and the contest.

By the way I have nothing against MMA, or any other type of martial art, it's just that when ever I try to talk boxing MMA seems to come into the mix, ugh... boxing only. And in closing "Fedor is king!!!"

Sure. What did you have in mind? I'm game.

Floyd Mayweather is king!!!

I love Boxing and MMA. Thinking about doing something with the Super Six Tourney?

Hey, good idea! So I'm thinking I will supply the prizes this first time out, and next time the contestants can donate, and we can have more placing added to.

here are the rules: pick who you think will win, pick if he wins by knock-out or decision, if you picked if he wins by knock-out, pick which round. I know there is more to be fleshed out, but since this is the first Boxing Tourny, will try to do it the best, and make it fun and interesting.

Any other ideas?

did someone mention boxing :cool:

my favorite fighters: Kelly Pavlik, Andre berto, juan manuel lopez.

i've been to pavlik's 4 out of his last 5 fights (will be 5 out of last 6 come dec 5th.)

I try to go to 2 live fights per year. when you have the 2 "right" guys fighting each other no other sport can compare, the pre fight anticipation is fantastic.

if your having a super 6 tourny game i'm in.

I don't really care for the direction that fights have gone with all of these UFC things.

I've spent large portions of my life training in Tae Kwon Do. Also, some Kenpo and Tang Soo Do. I competed quite a bit during my high school years (think Karate Kid only without the great soundtrack and oh, yeah, you wear protection on your hands, feet and head....."finish him, Johnny!")

Anyway, I preferred and still do prefer the technical aspects of standing up, striking and counter-striking. The mixed-martial arts thing of getting on the ground and trying to get your opponent into some type of painful armbar or choke just seems more brutish than artful. Looks like a lot of wrestling to me and not particularly graceful. No offense meant at all. Afterall it is a fight, how much grace do you want? Just not my cup of tea.

I love Boxing and MMA. Thinking about doing something with the Super Six Tourney?

Hey, good idea! So I'm thinking I will supply the prizes this first time out, and next time the contestants can donate, and we can have more placing added to.

here are the rules: pick who you think will win, pick if he wins by knock-out or decision, if you picked if he wins by knock-out, pick which round. I know there is more to be fleshed out, but since this is the first Boxing Tourny, will try to do it the best, and make it fun and interesting.

Any other ideas?

Depending upon how many people and prizes there are you could assign people (or even let them pick a fighter if there is a skill factor) with a fighter or with a round. If only a few people are in assign each of them a fighter and if their fighter is a winner then the prizes are based upon how well you called the fight - a skill factor (stoppage/decision, round etc). If a bunch of people are in they could get assigned a specific round of each fight and if there is a stoppage or a knockout they get a prize. Could be really fun.

I use to be a HUGE boxing fan but have not really followed it for a number of years now.

The first dozen or so were entertaining as a niche' but soon have taken over and overshadowed boxing.

(thumbs u

I am also a boxing fan, but really haven't followed it closely in a few years. Looking forward to the Roy Jones/Hopkins fight. Yeah, I know they are old, but I like Jones and can't stand Hopkins.

Ali

Ray Leonard

Jones

and always loved to watch Gatti fight.