• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about single staple comics

24 posts in this topic

Hey all, I am working on Junkenstein99's GA Daredevil 43 which originally came with 1 staple. I had to do piece fill and repair existing staple area. Should I leave it original with 1 staple or should I add a second staple for durability? My thought was to keep it original but I wasn't sure if it was standard practice to add the second staple or not.

I have a new question which may still be the same answer but I am not sure. I bought this really ( and I mean really) beat ASM 55. I decided to wash, mend and CT it for practice and its suppose to have 2 staples but only came with the top staple. Since its getting restored anyways, is it ok to add the bottom staple or do I have to leave it even though its suppose to be there.

I have a new question which may still be the same answer but I am not sure. I bought this really ( and I mean really) beat ASM 55. I decided to wash, mend and CT it for practice and its suppose to have 2 staples but only came with the top staple. Since its getting restored anyways, is it ok to add the bottom staple or do I have to leave it even though its suppose to be there.

Was it manufactured with only the top staple? (that sometimes happens where a staple is missed in the binding). If so I would leave it as is. If it is a matter of the missing staple just being lost through time I would replace it.

Was it manufactured with only the top staple? (that sometimes happens where a staple is missed in the binding). If so I would leave it as is. If it is a matter of the missing staple just being lost through time I would replace it.

The staple was never inserted at the printer so there are no holes to begin with. I was thinking it would get a lower grade with the staple missing but maybe it doesn't count if there never was one?

The staple was never inserted at the printer so there are no holes to begin with. I was thinking it would get a lower grade with the staple missing but maybe it doesn't count if there never was one?

If the book is, as you say, really beat then a lower grade should not be a factor. But if it was manufactured without the 2nd staple I would definitely leave it as such. Trying to replace the staple would, to me, mean doing destructive work to the original book.

If the book is, as you say, really beat then a lower grade should not be a factor. But if it was manufactured without the 2nd staple I would definitely leave it as such. Trying to replace the staple would, to me, mean doing destructive work to the original book.

With a book in this condition it really doesnt matter imho. There was meant to be a staple during production and it would have sustained identicle "damage" during production. And who is to even know afterwards you added it post production if there are two holes in the interior? It can be tricky to do correctly, but isnt any different then a staple inserted during production.

During restoration staples can be replaced if rusty, re inserted incorrectly, cause damage to the paper when removed etc..etc. So I dont look at adding a staple in this book as doing desctructive work to the original book, but more restoring it to how it was inteded to be. This is a full blown resto job,so an added staple will not hurt the book given all the other work necessary to restore it.

If anything it will allow the reader to handle the book correctly, safely.

missing staple wouln't matter in that grade. it looks like a 1.0 to 1.5 so the cover could be completely detached and it probably wouldn't matter.

A missing staple that was never inserted during production won't affect the grade all the way up to 9.6.

MastrCntrl says "With a book in this condition it really doesnt matter imho. There was meant to be a staple during production and it would have sustained identicle "damage" during production. And who is to even know afterwards you added it post production if there are two holes in the interior? It can be tricky to do correctly, but isnt any different then a staple inserted during production."

I am really glad to see you decided to leave it as a one-staple book. Not sure what caused the revelation and would love to hear why.

As regards what you posted above that I quoted:

It DOES matter as regards restoration. You said "there was meant to be a staple" - but the fact is for that book there was not a staple. Adding one would not be restoration (since the staple never existed to be restored). This concept is very important to understand in the world of restoration.

You also said "And who is to even know afterwards you added it post production if there are two holes in the interior?" This reasoning is probably the biggest contributor to the current hate many people have towards restoration in comioc books. That idea of "who is to even know afterwards" mentality that unscrupulous dealers and collector/sellers applied to the books they attempted to "restore".

In this instance ther most important person DOES know that that something was added post-production: YOU, the restorer.

You have to bring real integrity to restoration. That is why I respect Kenny (Ze-Man) so much.

As I said, I saw you decided to go one staple and maintain the integrity of the book, regardless of its condition. Please share with us what made you make that excellent decision.

It really was a tough decision but it came down to how it was made and when Scott said it didn't make a difference under 9.6 plus I didn't want to mss with it. BTW you got the quote mixed up. all that stuff you think I said Kenny said if you look closely. No big deal, its all good...