• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my very first book

26 posts in this topic

The books that you 'borrowed' did you return them?

I did return each book I borrowed. It was a royal pain reading them because he didn't have it organize so If I was reading Thor 200, I had to browse thru the entire box or a different box to find 201 but the pain was well worth it

thanks for clarifying it for others. I only threw in the " " because I didn't ask for the permission to borrow but rest assure, I treated them with tender loving care (thumbs u

just look at my Iron Man 150 I dugged out, after almost 30 years and a million reading, she is still pretty nice. I knew little about comic collecting or value back then but when I was poor, I valued everything I had, even the second hand clothes I wear from the salvation army. Nothing was taken for granted.

Now for the second part of the story on why I got back into collecting.

As posted before, i basically collected from 1981 to 1993. I was too busy with my professional career and girls to keep up as well as my loss of interest in some real stupid story lines that ruined many books I loved. I returned in 1999 to 2002 with the birth of Ebay and basically got disgusted with the entire hobby after getting rip off too often and left for the 2nd time.

A dear friend (if not my closest friend) also collected comics, love the Steelers etc...never stopped collecting. He always thought it was too bad I loss my passion there. Anyhow, we both have sons about the same age. On October 2008 while on his 12th wedding anniversary, he experiences dizziness and blurred vision. Right away, they went to the hospital in San Fran where they vacationed because he is a health nut and always had perfect health. The diagnose was grim. He had cancer and a brain tumor. From October to Feb 2009, his health detoriated rapidly to a point where he is certain to die. He can't breath on his own, mostly unconscious and all treatments failed. His B-day was on 2/13. He hung on and died on 2/14. I was so devastated and I haven't gotten over it even today.

Since March, I have returned to the hobby with renew love for the hobby. Life is too short, I want to leave behind something for my son to say "wow". I posted before, I have never sold a book I bought and I don't plan to sell anything if I absolutely don't have to.

Since March, I have returned to the hobby with renew love for the hobby. Life is too short, I want to leave behind something for my son to say "wow". I posted before, I have never sold a book I bought and I don't plan to sell anything if I absolutely don't have to.

Sorry to hear about your friend, etanick.

But very glad to have you on the boards. Your passion for the hobby is certainly a welcome addition here. :)

Sorry to hear about your friend, etanick.

But very glad to have you on the boards. Your passion for the hobby is certainly a welcome addition here. :)

I agree! :)