• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying the slab?

4 posts in this topic

I've read lots of people saying that prices are mad and the buyers are 'buying the slab, and not the book'. Now, I put to you, is'nt this just another form of collecting???

Maybe we are all in it for the comics, but hey, if that were true then CGC wouldnt be around.

What have I started? tongue.gif

I've read lots of people saying that prices are mad and the buyers are 'buying the slab, and not the book'. Now, I put to you, is'nt this just another form of collecting???

Maybe we are all in it for the comics, but hey, if that were true then CGC wouldnt be around.

What have I started? tongue.gif

Not that controversial. More collectors have been drawn into the market because of CGC who had been burnt prior to its' existence (the mid 90s lull in the market was the result of mass disillusionment from collectors who left the hobby due to this). These collectors have stuck with only buying slabbed books due to the trust engendered by CGC.

On the other hand, it is technically another form of collecting, or rather mania. Or speculation. Obviously those slabs and labels are highly collectible.

So obviously we ain't all in it just for the comics.

Amazing Spider-Man #129 CGC 9.8 = $7000+ 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Exactly. Prior to CGC that book was $200 - $250 in top shape. Possibly less - it was cold for quite some time.

Admittedly in order to find a copy in NM+ or better in those prehistoric days you had to have a fair amount of patience, determination and a certain ability to do something.

You had to know how to grade.