• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's Baltimore Con Report

55 posts in this topic

I enjoyed this year's Baltimore Con -- though I could not honestly say there was a plethora of books that I thought were new and exciting. Bob Storms had a new collection, Ted Van Liew had a new collection, John Haines had some mid/low grade tough to find DC 10 centers and Earl Shaw brought some late bronze/copper books. While all of the material was "nice" I couldn't tell you that I was blown away by anything.

If I was looking as a flipper, I would have been disappointed. For the most part, I was not, and so I was very happy with all my purchases. I added a number of books to my personal collection and was thrilled. I am less enchanted with high grade slabs these days and am enjoying these neglected books with one or two flaws that still are stunning, rich colors, nice page quality type books.

I did find one book from Bedrock City that I bought to continue on with the Showcase 22 "craze"... it's low grade, but the color strike of the main part of the image is great and the page quality is very, very nice.

showcase22-4.jpg

As always, Richard is just a pleasure to deal with. There's few guys I truly respect the way I do Rich -- if I had to emulate someone's business model as a store operator and demeanor as a dealer, it'd be Rich's.

After getting the Showcase 22 I stopped by blazing bobby's booth to see what his new collection was all about. There were some terrific books. The collection was 18 magazine boxes full of spectacular Marvels from roughly 1968 to late bronze higher grade material. I made a nice little stack that included the following... and I'm happy to add them to my collection. They have nice color strike and the prices were very fair and reasonable.

ASM64-1.jpg

ASM93.jpg

avengers100-1.jpg

Cap100.jpg

Cap185.jpg

CM30.jpg

CM31.jpg

DD23.jpg

TTA79.jpg

thor199.jpg

Thor202.jpg

More in a bit...

Right before I went to lunch on Saturday with the group, I ran into a dealer from North Carolina or that area -- seemed like a nice guy. He had some nice books -- but one stood out to me...

ASM39-7.jpg

I've always loved this cover. I seem to have this rotating in and out of my collection but have been looking for awhile for one to replace that I thought was really one I could live with.

Headed over to Ted's and did a cash trade deal for some more books. Teddy had his new Grand Rapids collection that was nice, but I found some other books that I really wanted (including a low grade GL 7).

action108.jpg

TOS58.jpg

avengers5-1.jpg

TOS48-1.jpg

JIM95.jpg

GK7.jpg

After that had a great lunch with, among others, Steve Borock, Dave Miller, Wes, Arex, Bob Siman, Marc, Chris and others, as always, the highlight of the show is seeing, talking to, and interacting with my fellow collectors.

In the afternoon, I was really burned out, so while I walked around, I didn't do a whole lot of shopping or looking even.

Dave Miller, Bob Siman and I went to 5 guys to cap off our Saturday, and then I crashed... just hung out at home.

Most of the dealers reported slow sales with the exception of a few. As always, Dale Roberts, Bob Storms, Ted VanLiew, and Steve Ritter were among the best displays and selection.

There were plenty of other high quality dealers there, but I was feeling when I arrived Sunday a little less anxious to buy.

That said, Harley Yee (who wasn't there himself) sent his "B" stock which was 40% off. I looked through on Saturday mid day, but just didn't select stuff because I was lazy. I took a look through Sunday and was really pleasantly surprised. I'm sure if I looked earlier, I would have found even more terrific deals:

TOS94.jpg

TOS92-2.jpg

TOS80.jpg

Tec407-1.jpg

Cap177.jpg

Cap102-1.jpg

avengers21.jpg

avengers23.jpg

avengers55.jpg

I'll add more substantive thoughts tomorrow... but I enjoyed adding books to my collection instead of my inventory.

always good to see you BK, even if you continue to insist on not covering up your feet like a civilised person

Agreed. Flip flops don't rule.

can't tell you the number of times i seriously considered causing a flip-flop blowout on the six-mile walk to McCormick and Schmucks

can't tell you the number of times i seriously considered causing a flip-flop blowout on the six-mile walk to McCormick and Schmucks

Flip-flop blowout.

:roflmao:

That almost sounds as dirty as it does messy.

man ive seen that SC 22 in person...the color pop out soo strong...very nice pick up

Agreed. Richard showed us that Showcase in his shop a couple of weeks ago.

That book is pretty where it counts.

Great purchase. (thumbs u

Damnit, Brian, I am pretty sure that this GL #7 is the one I supposedly snagged from Ted's website on Friday. :frustrated:

If that turns out to be the case, you are more than welcome to it.

Thanks, but that is okay. (thumbs u

I have another nice copy on the way for myself, but I was looking at the VG for a friend and decided to snag it since I have some other books on the way from Ted. Don't worry about it, though - I have a line on a couple of other VGish copies for him to consider as well.