• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARTISTS

11 posts in this topic

I am sure I am not the only one that buy some books or stop buying because of the arts more than the characters or stories. Not always but looking back, I can see a few occasions. Here are some that came to mind.

a) New Mutant - Bill Sienk(damn too long to type that name). Love his stuff from the MoonKnight day. His stuff on New Mutant is pure genius to me. I stopped right when Rob Liefield took over...can't stand that guy, probably top of my list of crappy artist out there

b) Thor - Walt Simonson. I love the entire Beta Ray Bill story line. Love his art as well as his stories.

c) X-men - Dave Cockrum but if I started collecting when John Byrne was there, I would still be collecting after Dave returned. Paul Smith, wow, I could't bring myself to read those books eventhough he is loved my quite a few. Thank god he left shortly and pass it on to Silvestry and JR jr. Love them both as well as Jim Lee.

d) Iron Man - Layton of course.

I liked Paul Smith. Pretty uncontroversial stuff. Clean, crisp. What's your problem with him?

You may have answered your own question.

Sienkiewicz, Sylvestry, Lee, and to a lesser extent Simonson and JR JR, are "thousand line" guys. Cockrum and Layton...not so much.

I concur, Paul Smith's run on the X-men and Doctor Strange are really good.

Artists are the main reason I bought books when I was young, and still the primary reason I collect them now (cover art applies, too). Art was always the thing that drew me to a certain title. If I liked the artist, I read the book. Now I collect the artists (interior and cover) that I admire (thumbs u

i'll by anything with an adam hughes cover, or anything by wrightson, timm, sale or dodson. guys that make me cringe, romita jr. and kirby. i know im in the minority, possibly the only one, but kirbys silver and bronze just dosent do anything for me, everythings overblown and looks like its inked with the thickest marker possible, but i digress...

yup, you nailed it. It is just personal taste that I like the "thousand line" style of drawing.

Cheers etanick and the blob. (thumbs u

I prefer a cleaner style. (Jack Cole) However, I view drawing in much the same way I do music: If you can play your instrument, I'll appreciate your work.

Joe Kubert, Russ Heath, Steve Bissette, and John Totleben, to name a few, really do use a lot of line, and I think their work is fantastic. Also, I really like Bill Sienkiewicz's fearlessness. That guy's not afraid to throw the kitchen sink at a drawing an see what happens.