• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

philadelphia comic con report

4 posts in this topic

Even though Big Apple is next week, and I'm definitely looking forward to that show, I thought I'd go on Saturday and kill a couple of hours at the local con anyway.

For the most part, I'd say this show was kind of a down show from others. In a lot of ways, I imagine it to be like the Tyson's corner show. Unfortunatley, this show was pretty much subpar.

I sold some random books to Gary Platt and did fairly well. Other than that, for buying, this was a very difficult show to find anything. Koop had some nice books, but nothing I was looking very intently for. He had a nice Avengers #4 but it had a small 1" tear in the cover... and although nice eye appeal, I didn't go for it.

Al Stoltz of Basement was there, without his normal inventory, basically carrying stuff he wanted to blow out with him. Spoke to him for about 5 minutes and he rattled off some stuff about he has an upcoming article in CBG about how off the Overstreet guide has become. He said a lot of things I've heard from many other collectors and dealers, and a lot of things which will make sense to many people I'll bet if and when they pick up the article.

There was some guy in the corner who normally isn't there selling trades and hardcovers 1/2 off cover, and archives for $30 a pop. Pretty good selection too. Picked up both Hush hardcovers for a total of $20 and an archive for $30. he had a nice DD 168 too. Looked like mostly a personal collection though (except the trades and archives). Interestingly, Derek Woywood (the show promoter) was set up right next to this guy offering trades at 20% off... problem? yeah, why wouldn't you get your trades from the guy selling at 50% off RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!

Speaking of DD 168 I must have seen 7 or 8 of them, all in 9.0 or better in the room. This book appears to have significantly cooled off with a lot less interest.

As I was on my way out... there was a guy selling books from his personal collection and started off with some dealers who just don't have the resources to buy his books. Most of the stuff was low or mid grade but I bought 9 silver age Thors, one VF, one FVF and the rest F/F+ for $60. I probably should have offered even less, but hey... I hadn't bought that much so, I wanted the reader Thors.

So there you have it... the Philly local show was pretty much a down show from normal (even for this show) and I didn't sense too much of a buzz in the room. I think the Big Apple will be a MUCH better show, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Too bad the Eagles lost as well.