• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leaf Casted Brittle Pages

83 posts in this topic

Ok... I must be a simpleton of some sorts because it seems to me that there is actually a fair amount of detail in this thread. I realize there isn't a vast amount of highly specific detailed information, but in terms of laying out a general idea of how the process works and what it offers, I'd call this a pretty informative thread--and how can you go wrong with pictures? lol

I still think it's amazing how a book that has become a "hands off" copy can suddenly become readable again. Maybe it will still breakdown years later, but this sure seems to rejuvenate the paper enough to give it longer life all the same.

Ok... I must be a simpleton of some sorts because it seems to me that there is actually a fair amount of detail in this thread. I realize there isn't a vast amount of highly specific detailed information, but in terms of laying out a general idea of how the process works and what it offers, I'd call this a pretty informative thread--and how can you go wrong with pictures? lol

I still think it's amazing how a book that has become a "hands off" copy can suddenly become readable again. Maybe it will still breakdown years later, but this sure seems to rejuvenate the paper enough to give it longer life all the same.

And Mac if you think the general info is cool, the specifics of the process are really really cool. I read for days on leaf casting resto work. Extremely intriguing process to say the least! In fact after reading one night i was laying in bed and absolutely could not sleep until i got up and sketched a schematic of a homemade vacuum table. Then i slept like a baybeh. true story.

I just want to say I can't get Kenny's work out of my mind, and I bet it's only a matter of time before he matches the color and make it look like it was never missing pieces. :golfclap:

I only wish he didn't have me on ignore. :bump:

I forgot to take you off ignore from months ago, sorry.

And regarding color matching?..well it is quite involved actually.

On these tanned brittle pages I could have possibly made a better color match but would have sacrificed tensile strength, and bonding qualities because tanned vintage donor paper is too broken down to use. And using color matching archival paper would not be a good texture match to old interior newsprint. Plus factor in these pages were washed(and lightened in the process) but I had to decide what would be the best color match beforehand due to not wanting to wash, dry, and wet again for casting.

Ultimately, the tanned edge remained tan, but if you notice, the color match is quite close to the inner portions of the pages.

Only way to make a perfect match now would be CT, which is typical of any added in fill.

See , simple right? :pullhair:

I see it is not, and you still forgot to change it. :baiting: