• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefield, You're a *spoon*.

111 posts in this topic

Its his signature. He can do with it as he pleases.

People will have it signed merely to profit off the books. Perhaps he is entitled to some of that scratch.

Sure he is,

But under this logic he should be walking around handing out $20's to everyone that was subjected to Youngblood, Supreme, or especially :sick: Captain America.

On the flip side....

Rob's been paid for that job, he got paid again when he sold the artwork, he got paid again when the royalty checks came in, and he's been trading on his NM's success ever since.

I think he's gotten so much "scratch" off of it that it's gotta be infected by now.

Yeah. But don't you think this is a by-product of the guys coming to the table with 10x copies of a book, taking those and getting SS slabs and making $$ off said slabs? I'm surprised any creator would sign in any kind of bulk these days without getting paid. Then again, maybe a reasonable per person limit would be better. Say 2-3 items per person.

Apparently Rob Liefield does not sign New Mutants 87 or 98 unless you buy a $20 sketchbook from him. CGC just called to inform me that the cherry copy of NM 98 I dug up in Baltimore was refused by Liefield because I wasn't there to give him more money. The employee informed me that I was one of very many calls he was making this evening to find out who still wanted their books graded w/ a partial refund and who wanted them mailed back. It's ironic in a way because I wasn't going to bother with Liefield that weekend until I found that copy. It was so nice I figured I would have it graded and, What the hell?, may as well make my first submission in 7 years an SS while we're at it. Oh well...I'm still excited about the book but am no longer thrilled with it's creator.

I'm curious though...the $10 for the signature...does it all go to CGC or do the creators get some of that?

Why was CGC calling you?

Were they the witness?

We can mail them books to witness?

Apparently Rob Liefield does not sign New Mutants 87 or 98 unless you buy a $20 sketchbook from him. CGC just called to inform me that the cherry copy of NM 98 I dug up in Baltimore was refused by Liefield because I wasn't there to give him more money. The employee informed me that I was one of very many calls he was making this evening to find out who still wanted their books graded w/ a partial refund and who wanted them mailed back. It's ironic in a way because I wasn't going to bother with Liefield that weekend until I found that copy. It was so nice I figured I would have it graded and, What the hell?, may as well make my first submission in 7 years an SS while we're at it. Oh well...I'm still excited about the book but am no longer thrilled with it's creator.

I'm curious though...the $10 for the signature...does it all go to CGC or do the creators get some of that?

Why was CGC calling you?

Were they the witness?

We can mail them books to witness?

:eyeroll:

Apparently Rob Liefield does not sign New Mutants 87 or 98 unless you buy a $20 sketchbook from him.......

Maybe he can take that money and take some art classes; learn how to draw. :wishluck:

I got an awesome sketch from Liefeld via a friend at the show. With all the 1st app. Cables and Deadpools going up on ebay and selling for hundreds of dollars, he might feel a little slighted by that. As long as he doesn't turn into Arthur Suydam, he can charge for a for sigs on hot books, creators etc. are allowed to ask for what they want.

I got an awesome sketch from Liefeld via a friend at the show. With all the 1st app. Cables and Deadpools going up on ebay and selling for hundreds of dollars, he might feel a little slighted by that. As long as he doesn't turn into Arthur Suydam, he can charge for a for sigs on hot books, creators etc. are allowed to ask for what they want.

QFT. My general opinion is that artists can do or charge whatever they care to do or charge, as is my position on most things. But for whatever reason, Suydam really roasts my chestnuts. He was a fringe artist at best, gets the Marvel Zombies gig, does a lot of good zombie work and all of a sudden is charging $20 a sig or $20 in stuff bought from his table to sign. Not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, but c'mon dude. Good thing you're not having to live off the Cholly 'N Flytrap residuals.

So when does Rob start art classes? If only his art was as big/good as his ego..

He should have started them about 20 some years ago.

This is the part I don't get. After 20 years of drawing, wouldn't you improve? Figure out how to draw feet? Learn how muscles articulate, and where the origins and insertion points are? (shrug)

QFT. My general opinion is that artists can do or charge whatever they care to do or charge, as is my position on most things. But for whatever reason, Suydam really roasts my chestnuts. He was a fringe artist at best, gets the Marvel Zombies gig, does a lot of good zombie work and all of a sudden is charging $20 a sig or $20 in stuff bought from his table to sign. Not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, but c'mon dude. Good thing you're not having to live off the Cholly 'N Flytrap residuals.

report him to the IRS. :gossip: do you really think he's reporting that as income? :ohm

i don't mind paying for sigs if they come with a sketch. i paid $20 after buying a john romita limited edition sketch book from john romita at 02 WC.

jrsr225.jpg

one of a kind sketch. john romita told me that he never thought of this before, when i requested the sketch, and his lovely wife was in awe and agreed. :acclaim:

Let's face it, if you're getting 5 items signed for Sig Series via a witness, he has no idea if they're for five separate fans who will treasure them forever or for one person who will sell each of them to the highest bidder.

He's not asking outright for a monetary donation it seem either.... he's asking you to buy some of his product.

I see nothing wrong with this practice actually... (shrug)

If you're a little kid who comes up for an autograph on a tattered New Mutants #87, I'd hope he wouldn't charge for it though...

If Rob doesn't advertise the fact that you have to spend $20 on a sketchbook before you get his sig, after waiting in line for a long time, then that seems wrong to me wrong. But if it is mentioned to you as soon as you get in line then that is OK with me.

If Rob doesn't advertise the fact that you have to spend $20 on a sketchbook before you get his sig, after waiting in line for a long time, then that seems wrong to me wrong. But if it is mentioned to you as soon as you get in line then that is OK with me.

For what it is worth, I've never seen more than 4 or 5 people waiting for Liefeld, except when it is an Image panel.

For what it is worth, I've never seen more than 4 or 5 people waiting for Liefeld, except when it is an Image panel.

honestly i wouldn't pay for a CGC SS by liefeld. (shrug)

honestly i wouldn't pay for a CGC SS by liefeld. (shrug)

I have. His art is absolutely horrific at times, no doubt. The Captain America Moobies cover is one of the worst things ever put out by a major (or minor) publisher. But I have some nostalgia for the 1st Cable through 1st Deadpool run of NM. It is pretty crappy, but I still have fond memories of setting up at 88-91 shows and these books were smokin' hot. I have owned and sold dozens of copies of many of them and I like having a couple of SS for the permanent collection.