• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: UNCOVERED - The Hidden Art of the Girllie Pulps

133 posts in this topic

A comprehensive overview of the Girlie pulps, this book is a great feast for the eyes. Minty fresh, undamaged DJ, flawless book. 75.00 shipped (too heavy for international, unless you want to pay exact additional cost)...

!BbDjzcQB2k~$(KGrHqEOKiEEq4GJ0fw!BKuO,3YH-Q~~_3.JPG

from the author's blog...

UNCOVERED contains over 400 pulp cover reproductions, all in full color. In addition, the history of these magazines -- their publishers, artists, writers and their struggle to survive -- is examined in 30,000 words of text, covering titles such as SPICY ADVENTURE STORIES, SAUCY MOVIE TALES, GAY PARISIENNE, VICE SQUAD DETECTIVE, LA PAREE STORIES, PARIS NIGHTS, SCARLET ADVENTURESS, SNAPPY DETECTIVE MYSTERIES and many others. Although there were many players in the field, during the 1930's it was dominated by the magazines of Harry Donenfeld, who would later go on to greater success with the company that eventually became DC Comics. Over 100 different titles (many very rare) are pictured, by 50 different artists -- among those artists heavily represented in the book are H.J. Ward, Earle Bergey, H.L. Parkhurst, Enoch Bolles, Peter Driben, Norman Saunders and George Quintana. Others whose work is reproduced include Gene Pressler, Zoe Mozert, Charles Wrenn, Worth Carnahan, Jack Greiner, Allen Anderson, R.A. Burley, Fred Craft, Archie Gunn, Cardwell Higgins, Seymour Marcus and Joseph Sokoli. Unlike the later pin-up magazine cover art of the 1940's and 1950's, most of this art has never been reprinted and has been hidden since its original publication. In choosing images for reproduction, I made an effort to try and avoid duplication of covers reproduced in other pulp histories. Each image was carefully scanned and cleaned, for the best reproduction possible.

heh, actually, this is my second copy... the other is displayed on my book shelf. The GF doesn't complain about anything I own except for the horror (they freak her out, so I don't display them.... much)...

20% off on this great book!

A comprehensive overview of the Girlie pulps, this book is a great feast for the eyes. Minty fresh, undamaged DJ, flawless book. 75.00 shipped (too heavy for international, unless you want to pay exact additional cost)...

!BbDjzcQB2k~$(KGrHqEOKiEEq4GJ0fw!BKuO,3YH-Q~~_3.JPG

Rather than start a new thread, I'm just gonna pick up where this one left off... The massive Girlie pulps book is still available for 60.00 shipped.

I will be adding quite a few pulps, going the full range on price and condition. Something here for everyone! Trying to pay rent and some bills after a week of no work :( Shipping is 5.00 for up to 20.00 worth of books, after that it is free. Paypal preferred, offers welcome. :takeit: rules, but if an agreement is made in PM, that's all she wrote.

please-please-boy-sad-000383-large.gif have mercy on a poor pulpster, and buy like it's 1999!

Air Wonder Stories v01n06 1929-12 125.00 This is the single nicest copy of an Air Wonder I have seen. Really hate to let this one go...

AirWonderStoriesv01n061929-12a.jpgAirWonderStoriesv01n061929-12b.jpgAirWonderStoriesv01n061929-12c.jpgAirWonderStoriesv01n061929-12d.jpg

OOPS! Got ahead of myself, and quoted the wrong price... sorry.