• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those troublesome hard-to-find HG comics to complete your run...

60 posts in this topic

well here's a question then. What is a "real" value for a CGC 9.4 ASM 103?

Well, I know of four CGC 9.4 copies that have sold since December 2001, with prices ranging from $112.50 to $152.50. The last one sold about 3 1/2 weeks ago for $129.50, right in the middle of the range. So that seems to me to be a reasonable current market value.

At a $129.50 CGC 9.4 price and a $45 Overstreet 9.4 price, that's a 2.9x multiple. If you subtract out $25 of CGC slabbing costs, that's a 2.3x multiple. So is it worth that 130% premium for the certainty of no restoration and unbiased, strict third-party grading? To me, the certainty of CGC grading and the added liquidity it provides is worth a substantial premium - it's a tremendously value-added service, IMHO and so comparing raw prices directly to CGC prices is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

Is 130% the right premium for an ASM #103? Sounds high to me, but the book seems to be holding its value so far. I would say, longer-term, that the premium will likely shrink on this book and that it probably isn't a great investment at $129.50. But if you love the book and have the discretionary funds, I don't think the price is unreasonable for a collector with realistic expectations.

If you believe CGC is a value added service, prices on slabbed books should not converge to Overstreet prices, but rather, for most mid-to-high priced books, the theoretical pricing formula should be (Overstreet + slabbing costs + value-added premium + premium (or - discount) for deviations from the 9.4 grade, grader's notes, etc.) I think the formula breaks down when you talk about lower priced books, as the slabbing costs may overwhelm the book's intrinsic value.

Anyway, that's the kind of analytical framework I would employ to determine a book's value (of course, there are value judgments to be made too; it's not a black box that spits out a single number). People may not agree with my conclusions, but at least they are backed up with rigorous, hard-core analysis instead of just saying "prices should always go up", "the book will double if that character is in the movie sequel", "you're a hater and a doom and gloomer" and other pearls of wisdom one hears on these Boards.

Gene

Drummy,

Nice to see another Silver FF guy on these boards.

I was the one that mentioned the #45. I've got one copy unslabbed in VF/NM, and haven't had much luck finding better. A while back(April?) a CGC 9.2 was listed with a BIN of $465, and the trigger was pulled almost as fast as it was listed. The fact that it sold so quick at $465 only backs up how tough it is. My copy, like many others I've seen, is very close to a NM but suffers from some very minor stress lines on the spine that mostly don't even break color. This seems to be a common problem on this book for whatever reason, as almost every copy I've seen has had the same stresses.

Some others minor or non-keys: FF #17, #23, #33, #36(in strict NM), #40, #51, #56(as tough as #45 IMO)

Thoughts: Maybe you shouldn't use same picture for both auctions confused.gif

It might be wise to use completely different html-links instead of just changing pictures between auctions...since your old auctions will be accidentally updated as well grin.gif

no, that makes the whole process more complicated than it's worth ("well, how many ASM_103s have I sold? Is this ASM_103_4 or ASM_103_5?").

Also, it's a trivial "problem" that someone on here jumped on. Apparently in order to just jump on something. There is nothing important about having your archived auctions display the correct image. Most of them (that are hosted off-site) display no image at all. Does the current auction display the correct image? Yes? Then that's all that matters. What if it dsiplayed a picture of Amazing Fantasy 15 after the auction closed? Who cares? It's a closed auction it doesn't have to be accurate.

I didn't rename the scan - I scanned the first one and called it "spidey103.jpg". When that one ended and was sold, I scanned another one and called it "spidey103.jpg", much like the first one. Laziness, more than anything else.

I have trouble with most of the FF issues from 1 to 30. You just don't see them very often, especially #11 to 19. I have NEVER seen a copy of #13 for sale above a CGC 8.5, although I know somebody on this board bought a CGC 9.2 from Mark Wilson for insano dollars.Both clobberintime and myself have an FF 17 CGC 9.0, but I've not seen one for sale publicly in higher grade. I assume most of those puppies trade hands under the table between spendy customers and dealers. Here's my copy:

I also have problems finding DD 81 to 99, FF 116 to 120, FF 124 to 129, and Spidey 114. The Spidey 114 has a black cover, and I rarely find it without spine stresses or an offset. I also don't see Spidey 31 up for sale very often, and when I do, it almost always has a translucent cover that I pass on.

I have problems finding ASM 15 in CGC 9.0 or above, 52 in anything above 9.0, 103 in 9.4 or better, 106 in 9.4 or better, ASM 110-116 are faily tough in 9.4 or better, and I can't find a 148 in 9.4 or better at all.

And that's on top of the already tough issues like 11, and 28.

Brian