• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those troublesome hard-to-find HG comics to complete your run...

60 posts in this topic

Hey guys -

I was reading other threads and came across this topic, namely that when collecting a full run of something there always seem to be issues that are difficult to find in nice shape (say, 9.0 or better on your scale.) One poster (sorry, I forget who) mentioned that he sees a ton of Fantastic Four #44 and #46 in high grade out there, but almost never a #45. Now this may be because it's a minor key (1st Inhumans) or because it's a dark cover, but given the numbers of HG copies of #44 and #46 shouldn't this be slightly easier to find? (As a HG Fantastic Four and Tales of Suspense collector, I agree that this seems true about this particular issue.)

So my question is, for Marvel, DC, and other aficianados alike, what books have been surprisingly hard to find in high grade as you try to complete runs? I know Golden Age is probably "out" on this topic, but Silver and Bronze titles are fair game. I am particularly interested in "random" (non-key, non-#1) issues that just don't seem to pop up on Ebay, the local comic shops, or at the national cons. (i.e., none of the truly expensive or always-highly-sought-after books).

Thanks!

Dan Drummond

(PS, I don't post often but have fun reading all the posts. I am a college guidance counselor in Milwaukee with a wonderful wife Sarah, a truly diabolical cat named Samson, and an adopted daughter on the way from China next year. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!)

Nice to see that Uatu's head will grace this thread, as I am a Huge Fan of that pesky, never-can-keep-his-promises chrome dome. It always felt like he was representing Stan Lee within the books.

CI, I can't believe I warmed your heart, but I've always enjoyed reading your posts. SOMEONE'S got to be devil's advocate, right? grin.gif

Meanwhile, no one's offering up hard-to-find run-fillers. Maybe this topic's on another thread already? Thanks anyway,

Dan

For me, it's Superboy's, Superman's or Action's that are those squarebound things from the 60s. They are a [!@#%^&^] to find in high grade. I sent one in to CGC that I thought was spectacular but it came back 7.0. I saw a Superboy 80pg Giant (#129, I think) CGC 9.4 sell for over $500 on ebay.

I will sell you my ASM #103 CGC 9.4 for...ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!

Come on, it has Gwen Stacy in a bikini on the cover...it's totally worth it. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Gene (not really interested in selling)

Hey, if anyone has a nice copy of a book mentioned in this thread, post a scan so we can turn green with envy. For me, I'd like to see a copy of Fantastic Four #17 if someone's got one. Thanks -

Dan

My thoughts are anyone who bids on either one of those auctions is a fool. They are different auctions, but the scan is of the same book. Your listing says "As always, bid with confidence - the book scanned is the book you will receive.". I don't think so.

not necessarily. If you use the same naming scheme for all your scans and you sell the same book more than once a couple of weeks apart, you could get what you see in donut's auctions. It's happened to me before (on several occasions), because I often sell multiple copies of the same book over a period of a couple months. I remove the scan from one that sells (no need to use the bandwidth,) the image breaks in the archived auction, then all of a sudden a week or two later the scan in the archive "works" again although it's the wrong image.

I'm certain that's exactly what happened here... Anyone who knows Dan or has dealt with him before (which is pretty much 7% of all comic collectors as we determined in a previous thread) knows that Dan is as straight a shooter as you will find...

Now I do take issue with his incessant rabble rousing, and the repeated thread hijacking to discuss cleaned comics, the market crash, Cherry Poptart, and the identity of Meth... tongue.giftongue.gif

But his professionalism as a seller is beyond reproach...