• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EERIE #17 - is it really that scarce

10 posts in this topic

Hi, folks;

Just wondering what your experience has been in finding this mag? I've had some success in finding this book from Good through VF-, but haven't really come across anything in higher grade.

I've been offered several copies locally in recent years in VG-F and have been holding out for a higher grade copy.

Is this one truly scare or just scarce in high grade (shrug)

Tough to find in pretty much any grade. :P

Eerie #17 is one of the hardest Warren issues to find, apparently due to a James Warren experiment of non-returnable distribution for this issue. Meaning it was never to be returned once it was distributed, severely cutting down the number of back issues in the Warren back issue dept.. You have to rely on copies kept by collectors in a time when there were no bags and boards for magazines. Eerie #18 is also tough to find, it's just not as well known for being hard to find.

There are several issues that are tough to find, most of the time it had to do with printing problems rather than distribution problems. I am pretty sure the reason for Creepy #9 being scarce was due to a dull/bad blade at the printer and lots of the books had to be thrown away prior to distribution.

Thanks for the info and insight into potential causes of scarcity. I suppose I've been a bit spoiled by the number of copies made available to me locally over the years that I've never really considered Eerie 17 to be truly scarce.

I'd estimate I've owned over a dozen copies over the years. In all honesty, I've found Blazing Combat #1 to be more elusive locally and I've only come across two copies.

I think Eerie 17 and Blazing Combat #1 are priced similarly in the price guide around $500, but I wonder which would fetch more in strict NM?

Not sure about NM(9.4) for an Eerie #17 since there is only one with no recorded sale.

A 9.2 NM- recently sold for:

Mar-30-2009 $1,895

The only previous sale was 4 years ago, on Halloween no less. :gossip:

Oct-31-2005 $1,775

High grade Blazing Combat #1 has even less data, last sale 5 years ago:

VF/NM (9.0) Nov-22-2004 $550 (which was a deal, IMO)

I have a Blazing Combat #1, it's only an 8.0, but looks much nicer than the grade.

Such a tough book to find, it would be difficult to replace.

blazing1SS.jpg

Eerie #17 I have in 8.5 & 9.0, so I would agree that Blazing Combat #1 is harder to find.

eerie17_90.jpg

(thanks for an excuse to post the images)

:whee:

Back in 2002 I do remember a raw minty looking Eerie 17 on sale on e-bay for a $1000.00 minimum bid. Seller listed it twice and no one was interested in it at that price. It was described as flawless and the hi res scanned backed up the description. Now...I regret not buying it.

Not sure about NM(9.4) for an Eerie #17 since there is only one with no recorded sale.

A 9.2 NM- recently sold for:

Mar-30-2009 $1,895

The only previous sale was 4 years ago, on Halloween no less. :gossip:

Oct-31-2005 $1,775

High grade Blazing Combat #1 has even less data, last sale 5 years ago:

VF/NM (9.0) Nov-22-2004 $550 (which was a deal, IMO)

I have a Blazing Combat #1, it's only an 8.0, but looks much nicer than the grade.

Such a tough book to find, it would be difficult to replace.

blazing1SS.jpg

Eerie #17 I have in 8.5 & 9.0, so I would agree that Blazing Combat #1 is harder to find.

eerie17_90.jpg

(thanks for an excuse to post the images)

:whee:

wicked mags! Too bad the Blazing Combat is 'only' an 8.0 with 'writing' on the cover :applause:

Thanks, yeah I am not sure who that guy was that scribbled on the front, maybe he will be famous one day. lol

I have a couple raw Blazing Combat #1's but they not in the greatest of condition, probably in the VG to Fine range. Due to the fact it's a black cover with no warehouse copies, the number of them showing up on the market is unlikely to change anytime soon. Pretty much the same story for the Eerie #17, maybe slightly less black on the cover.

Thanks, yeah I am not sure who that guy was that scribbled on the front, maybe he will be famous one day. lol

I have a couple raw Blazing Combat #1's but they not in the greatest of condition, probably in the VG to Fine range. Due to the fact it's a black cover with no warehouse copies, the number of them showing up on the market is unlikely to change anytime soon. Pretty much the same story for the Eerie #17, maybe slightly less black on the cover.

Any thoughts as to the print run on Blazing Combat #1 and Eerie #17? I'd be interested in knowing the difference in comparison to previous/subsequent issues. hm