• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A GLARING GAP IN THE MARKETPLACE

45 posts in this topic

It just hit me.

It's so obvious.

E-bay make literally BILLIONS of dollars from providing a service where you can eventually find anything you're looking for. The fact that I won a Game Time 3, a Jackie Gleason 12, and a Feature Films 4, all on E-Bay, is proof of this.

BUT... and it's a BIG but, why oh why oh why do they not provide a similar service for us to put up what we're looking for, so that someone who may have it in their attic can say "Oh, okay, I'll sell that".

Just regular E-Bay in reverse.

So WHY hasn't it been done ???

Just think, I could post up my wants list and find them all within a week.

It was done years ago, although I can't remember the name of the site now. It's got a short name, four letters I think...it's similar to "ubid.com" but I know that's not the one I'm thinking of. Whatever the site I'm thinking of is, it has never taken off for some reason.

'Cos they don't exactly provide a "service" as such......that particular matter would be left to all those magnificent individual sellers out there in cyberspace.

Ebay provide an efficient, cost effective, simple to understand medium for all and sundry and little else - they do not mediate. To win an item, you bid higher.

To do what you suggest would mean that people would become more and more like real dealers with customer databases.

Plus these propective owners would know what you'd want and price higher as a result - which is why there's so much sniping on ebay - people like to keep their cards close to their chests. How do you arbitrate prices on ebay-in-reverse without bidding?

And how, if you're competing with other collectors who have items on their wants lists that are on yours, does the seller choose who gets the book? Bidding, perchance? What if the book matches your wants, but you disagree on the grade and price?

Finally, ebay'd have to charge for this service, as their profit is all about commission on actual, not possible sales. So that would be a factor in their decision.

To do what you suggest would mean that people would become more and more like real dealers with customer databases.

Plus these propective owners would know what you'd want and price higher as a result - which is why there's so much sniping on ebay - people like to keep their cards close to their chests. How do you arbitrate prices on ebay-in-reverse without bidding?

And how, if you're competing with other collectors who have items on their wants lists that are on yours, does the seller choose who gets the book? Bidding, perchance? What if the book matches your wants, but you disagree on the grade and price?

Finally, ebay'd have to charge for this service, as their profit is all about commission on actual, not possible sales. So that would be a factor in their decision.

Spoilsport.

I have pondered about a service that could link comic collectors with potential buyers more effeciently. It sounds like eBay and ComicLink, etc. but it's not. Actually sounds like mySimon.com for comics. Enter your collection, and mark it Private or Public, For Sale, etc. Dealers could link their inventory with this service, as well as potential sellers. You query one site/interface to get what you need. Simplistic example here but at the least we need something that can query multiple resources.

Problem is, folks are just creating their own sites and its up to you to wade through the Internet and hopefully find it...

There's a "similar" service for etopps cards. It's on a site, cardtarget.com. They set up a database where you could enter your haves and wants, and others can send you trade offers or whatever. You even have the ability to "block" certain users. That seems a valuable feature on these boards too.

Actually, how 'bout a new television reality show entitled "Ian Levine's DC Survivor Countdown!".

You drop 40 people into a major metropolis, give them each $10,000 in cash and they have to find one of Ian's remaining 40 DCs within a 12 hour period. Those who don't are eliminated. The remaining contestants are each given $20,000 and challenged to find a book on Ian's quickly shrinking want list.

Eventually, when the number of books is down to about half a dozen.....all the contestants are paid off, and replaced with 6 supermodels, who are each given $50,000 to find the remaining 6 books. Each time a contestant fails to find one of the books after each 24 hour period, they are eliminated.

Finally, when there are only three supermodels left, and three books left, Ian gets to spend the night with each of them, then picks one as his constant companion, who will be the mother of his four children, who will be named Darth, Supa, Chris and Kev, and who will inherit the collection. Ian is awarded 5 million dollars to go out and buy the last three books.

And everybody wins!

It'll be on FOX of course.

(Ok, I had two pints of Sam Adams with dinner. This tv show seems like a good idea right now...)

D'you know, I had exactly that same idea for a program a couple of days ago....

Might be too highbrow for Fox (yes I know they have the Simpsons).

As far as I'm concerned, we should pitch the idea to whoever, then when the program's made, I'll bagsy the supermodels.

You guys can have the comics and the cash.

On second thoughts....

Better than my suggestion, and considering the scarcity of the books in question and that $20,000 may not be sufficient in NYC to buy a Tec 27 in any shape, all the supermodels will be devoid of garments in no time.

And then it hit me.....I AM SAD!!!!

How about when the supermodels fail to find a book, they eliminate an article of clothing instead? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As a woman, I am appalled -- appalled! -- that you would exploit comic books in this way. And Ian. Exploiting Ian and comic books -- appalling. As for the supermodels, I think you should make it interesting. Offer them a choice between talking off an article of clothing or eating a piece of bacon (with no ralphing afterward). They'd be nekkid in no time. Carry on, lads!

-- Joanna

How about when the supermodels fail to find a book, they eliminate an article of clothing instead? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As a woman, I am appalled -- appalled! -- that you would exploit comic books in this way. And Ian. Exploiting Ian and comic books -- appalling. As for the supermodels, I think you should make it interesting. Offer them a choice between talking off an article of clothing or eating a piece of bacon (with no ralphing afterward). They'd be nekkid in no time. Carry on, lads!

-- Joanna

After those suggestions, you are one of the lads. Welcome to the world of the unfulfilled, where crazed fantasies about game shows, supermodels, Detective 27s and bacon are a daily, nay hourly occurrence.

So how does it feel?