• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You be the judge...

37 posts in this topic

So there is a person on Ebay right now selling signature series books (the seller's name is not important just yet). Normally I would think this is great ... except that he's advertising some of these books as "Only 1 graded", when I know for a fact that more than one of these books have been graded (even before the census was updated today).

How do I know? Well, for one thing, I was there when CGC was witnessing the signatures. Secondly, I put a copy of each of these books in for grading, so I know these aren't the only ones. And now that the census has been updated, it shows that there are definitely more than one of each of these books.

So what is the problem? Well, I emailed this guy yesterday to tell him that one of the books he's advertising had about 50-60 copies signed during this show (Toronto Comicon in November), so he was incorrectly advertising this book as the only one that has ever been graded. He refused to acknowedge that this was the case and said that it was the only one on the census (when in fact there were none listed yesterday on the census).

Otherwise, he seems to be fairly honest (100% positive feedback). But it still bothers me that he wouldn't change his listing. So what do you think? Am I making too much of this? Should I let it go, and just accept that he is going to look bad within the next week or so when someone else puts up the same book? Or should I be sending a warning signal, telling people to stay away from this guy, since if he is being misleading with these auctions, he might also try to mislead people in his other auctions?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Alex

sign-rantpost.gifOK, now I'm just p-issed off. First he posts an auction saying that this is the only book ever graded. Then won't change the auction title or description after being told that it isn't the only one, and that he is misleading people with his auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2219214369&category=35765&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Then he puts up another copy of the same book right after the first one ends. So he knew he had more than one copy of this book, and he still auctioned his item as one of one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35765&item=2220621928

This book:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35765&item=2220622296

NOT one of one also.

I wonder what else he is being misleading about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"ONE OF ONLY FIVE CGC GRADED SIGNED COPIES!" confused-smiley-013.gif

He had multple copies of this book in his possession, and in his first auction he said that it was the only one in existence. Was the second one invisible?? Did he forget that he submitted more than one to CGC??? 893censored-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gif

He had multple copies of this book in his possession, and in his first auction he said that it was the only one in existence. Was the second one invisible?? Did he forget that he submitted more than one to CGC??? 893censored-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Maybe he had default auction descriptions that he forgot to change until you pointed it out. confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe he had default auction descriptions that he forgot to change until you pointed it out. confused-smiley-013.gif

Normally I would give someone the beneift of the doubt, but he clearly indicated to me in an email that these were the only ones graded, and wasn't about to change his auction description. He knew what he was doing. mad.gif

Hmmmm...I just won a couple books from him... mad.gif

I didn't pay him yet because I also wanted a shot at the SS Iron Man #55. Is he lying about that being the only one on the census too? The only thing that is stopping me from putting a bid on that book right now is this thread and the fact that his shipping costs are so high. He quoted me $14 combined for shipping two CGC books. mad.gif

Thanks for the heads up Alex. I will be extremely wary when dealing with this seller.

I HAVE CONTACTED OUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBOURHOOD SIG SERIES GUY

LETS SEE WHAT HE SAYS: HERE IS THE EMAIL

I am glad you got a large number of books signed at the show we put on in Toronto, but without starting trouble do you really think you should be advertising your books as the only ones signed. It may bring in the customers now but later when they realize there are others it may cost you business later. tonofbricks.gif

Can you post the email? confused-smiley-013.gif

I wrote the email to him from work, so I will have to check tomorrow to see if I still have it. But it was pretty much exactly like I said in my original post.

Here was his response:

Date:

Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:29:40 EST

To: xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.ca

Hey, all I know is that there are none on the census right now...

Thanks, though... I just got mine on first I guess.

- Bob in Buffalo

Hmmmm...I just won a couple books from him... mad.gif

I didn't pay him yet because I also wanted a shot at the SS Iron Man #55. Is he lying about that being the only one on the census too? The only thing that is stopping me from putting a bid on that book right now is this thread and the fact that his shipping costs are so high. He quoted me $14 combined for shipping two CGC books. mad.gif

Thanks for the heads up Alex. I will be extremely wary when dealing with this seller.

I will have to check into that for you. I am not 100% sure one way or the other, whether this is 1/1 or not. It could be. I am more acutely aware of the other books, as I have copies of those in for grading too. I'll let you know when I find out.

Alex

I will have to check into that for you. I am not 100% sure one way or the other, whether this is 1/1 or not. It could be. I am more acutely aware of the other books, as I have copies of those in for grading too. I'll let you know when I find out.

Alex

Thanks Alex. Regardless...if he tells me that it will cost $20+ to ship 3 CGC books, I will definitely not bid on that SS Iron #55. I recently received 3 CGC books from Glenn (4Gemworks) via Priority mail, insured, w/ delivery confirmation which cost $12. I cannot see any justification for sending 2 books for $14 unless he is mailing it from Sri Lanka and it arrives with armed guards in a diamond encrusted armored vehicle. sign-rantpost.gif

I despise shipping profiteers. 893frustrated.gif

Uh oh.....

Looks like the COMIC POLICE have recruited another member. smirk.gif

I want a police siren for the top of my computer monitor! grin.gif