• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAMMER COMES CLEAN.... CPG QUOTES.. THE FLIP SIDE

42 posts in this topic

No....I only wanted the board members the chance to see exactly what he was saying on the other site, rather than having to click on a link. Personally I am opposed to comics being sold as unrestored when they are in fact tampered with.

However on the other side, if I know that the book has had some restoration, and I am not going to sell it ever, and it is a book that I really care about, and the price is right then I have no problems in buying the book.

I also think that by posting his comments it only digs his hole deeper and deeper.

WEBHEAD

confused-smiley-013.gif

he had the same following here too...until he went crazy one too many times. Lots of posts attested what a shame it was to lose Hammer's "comics mind" and observations on the hobby......

I have no problem admitting that I am one of those people...

Some of the most informative posts I have ever read in these forums came from Meth/Hammer. The guy knows a great deal about comics and on several occasions was willing to spend time offering his knowledge here. I am not suggesting anything about his business away from the forums, and I certainly can't defend any threats of violence he made. But in amongst it all, he actually did make some positive contributions to the board.

I'm not making excuses for him... but there were parts of his time here that I will miss...

I have to agee with this as well... in particular his knowledge of the silver age.

But in the end this is his life story

370809-jail1.gif

370809-jail1.gif

370809-jail1.gif

27_laughing.gif

WEBHEAD

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What a shame that even with the evidence provided by CBG of the whole association of Danny/Fantazia/Richard Koos/Comic-Keys that he is still trying to spin his web of deceit and lies and is trying to deflect some of the attention off himself and onto me. I just want to clarify the situation.

In the 80's I was a customer of Fantazia. I did have a working knowledge of restoration techniques, and had done work on Golden & Silver age books for many of the top dealers of the day, things that would be considered slight Professional restoration today. I restored a Captain America #1 for Danny, and he approached me with his idea of Fantazia Restorations. This was during the time when Danny still had a good reputation as a dealer. He came up with the name and the ad copy for the Overstreet Price Guide.

After restoring a total of THREE books for the service, two for a dealer in Florida, one for a Fantazia customer (none of which I was paid for) I stopped working with Danny. After constantly getting excuses over why I was not being paid for my services, I found out that he had started doing work himself on books that were being submitted. It was the type of work I refused to do, such as trimming books. Not wanting to be a scapegoat for his money making schemes, I distanced myself from Danny and Fantazia. I have not spoken or have had any dealings with Danny since 1991.

I have never sold restored books myself, and never intend to. All of my eBay comic book sales (many to CGC Forum members) have been for CGC certified Modern Age comics, and I've never gotten any negative feedback from those sales.

I am still well known and maintain friendships with many of today's top comic dealers and collectors. I was also a valued employee of CGC during the time they made their move from New Jersey to Florida. All of these people know me as a man of my word.

As for Danny Dupcek, I wish I had never met the man, having to still defend myself decades later from the relationship I had with him.

Some of the most informative posts I have ever read in these forums came from Meth/Hammer. The guy knows a great deal about comics and on several occasions was willing to spend time offering his knowledge here. I am not suggesting anything about his business away from the forums, and I certainly can't defend any threats of violence he made. But in amongst it all, he actually did make some positive contributions to the board.

I don't see it the same way.....based on how well he can lie and spin, how do we know he's passing legit info? Sure it may seem that he's talking authoritatively on one subject or another but everything has to be taken with a grain of salt based on his history.

I can't take anything he said and give it validity as he's lied too many times to be given the benefit of a doubt......

Jim

I don't see it the same way.....based on how well he can lie and spin, how do we know he's passing legit info? Sure it may seem that he's talking authoritatively on one subject or another but everything has to be taken with a grain of salt based on his history.

I totally agree. I'm not doubting that he has quite an extensive amount of knowledge of this hobby, but how can you be absolutely sure about what you're reading?

I think too many people have been "charmed" by his prose, and the references to "missing" certain aspects of his presence here almost make him out to be some sort of martyr.

I think too many people have been "charmed" by his prose, and the references to "missing" certain aspects of his presence here almost make him out to be some sort of martyr.

charming he's definitely not, insane.gif compulsive liar, most definitely. boo.gif27_laughing.gif

I can't take anything he said and give it validity as he's lied too many times to be given the benefit of a doubt......

Jim

He stepped over the line in his latest diatribe over there. He made a claim that if he was such a good liar, he'd be able to write a novel a day (they're so easy to write, y'know). Being a liar isn't what makes a good novelist. Being able to tap into universal truths is what makes a good novelist. I've had it with a liar who would impugn the good name of fiction-writers the world over! Liar.

I'm sure everything else he said was true, though, because he wrote so many words in caps.

-- Joanna

He mixes his advice up. Sometimes its self-servring disinformation designed to lead people away from the best ways to detect trimming and/or color touch, and sometimes it's accurate. In these forums, he has switched back and forth between arguing that trims can be detected by measuring the width or height of a book several times; one month he'll say that's an impossible technique to use in detection, and the next month he'll use measuring as evidence that a book isn't trimmed. 893frustrated.gif

I enjoy reading his posts about the grading and restoration, but I do exactly what you suggested--I take it with a grain of salt. If it's an idea I've never heard anywhere else or which hadn't independently occurred to me, I treat it as a hypothesis that requires validation from a second, more reliable source before I accept it as knowledge.

hey SuperDuper - - and all the rest here who havent seen Hammer's reply to Dupers comments:

Cantie, Why, during all the scuttlebut on the Fantazia restoration service, didn't you ever mention your role in it, minimized as you may be making it anyway?

Slight work???? Are you remembering this account of yours correctly. Is it possible that the oxygen defecit created by running for cover may be affecting your memory?

JIMMY (Batman 11)??

PAUL ????

BIG JOHN???

Remember these guys? THESE were REGULAR customers and there were employees as well that tell a different tale. Personally, I don't care what happened in that store. But some of these people KNOW you and KNEW you back then. One of them SAW LARGE ALUMINUM PANS (the type used for baking) right in your Mt.Vernon apartment, set up with disassembled comics floating in naptha, clorox and water with a plain old electric iron nearby and an array of acryllic paints. That's slight professional restoration?

Did you ever BUY anything at Fantazia? Did you ever spend any money there? If so, if you WERE a "customer", what did you buy? There is a former employee that remembers you well and states that all of your visits were BUSINESS oriented (and a friend as well... YES, you told the truth about one thing...you and Dupcak were FRIENDS), NOT that of a customer!

Also, YOU didn't write that ad? A former employee was THERE WHEN DUPCAK HELPED YOU CLEAN UP THE AD COPY BEFORE SUBMITTING IT TO OVERSTREET, from YOUR rough draft!!!

You don't remember any of this?

What a shame that you, who at one time professes to have been a friend of Dupcak's, would lose your memory! What a shame that you sat in silence, until named as the author and restorer of that service, about your participation as minimal as you have made it out to be! Shame on you, Cantie!

I thank God that I don't have friends like that. I have friends that help me find out facts, and find the people that KNOW THEM, LIVED THEM in an effort to HELP, not wrongfully hurt!

And as for trying to deflect attention to YOU..that is NOT my intention. I'm responding with WHAT I'VE LEARNED. C'mon guys, think about it. If this was all just some creative writing on my part to try explaining, off the top of my head, I'd be capable of turning out a Ludlum quality Mystery novel PER DAY!! My imagination is NOT THAT GOOD. There's a reason why there are NO SELF CONTRADICTIONS in my words. A GOOD reason. I'm relating only WHAT I KNOW. Not what I suppose or imagine. I'm relating FOUND INFORMATION and experience!

Edited by - Hammer2 on 01/23/2004 01:49:48 AM

Good old Hammer is really something. Notice all this incredible detail about moments that happenned in some decrepid little store 15 years ago that this guy "Richard Koos" just HAPPENS to have heard tell of from anonymous employees in that same one-owner shack of a store!!! He just cant keep his mouth shut can he? Moments only two people can have any knowledge of...... Koos sure sounds HURT at tthsis former friend's "betrayal" when it was Danny himself who just bamed Duper for singlehandedly being responsible for all of Fantazia;s restoration work...

damm straight!

looks like Hammer2;s nearig the final turn over there. He's getting irritated that others are following his misdirection and avoidance of the specific questions being asked of him. I foresee an eruption coming pretty soon.....

here's his latest reply denying that he is danny boy, but this is how i know so much about fantazia:

And this, is basically the type of warped and twisted double standard rationale that I'm up against when trying to answer questions.

If I know nothing, I'm either an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or deliberately being evasive.

If I have knowledge of instances by SPEAKING TO ACTUAL EMPLOYEES AND FORMER CUSTOMERS OF FANTAZIA...then I MUST be Dupcak.

Is there winning with this kind of attitude?

I explained what I learned from a former employee of Fantazia who EVEN REMEMBERED WALKING INTO CANTIE BREVARD'S MT. VERNON APARTMENT to pick up books to mail back to restoration service customers and becoming DIZZY because of the fumes in the room due to pans full of chemicals!

Cantie comes on and says, "Gee, that's not the way it happened" and his word is taken verbatem across the street! It must be that Dupcak again, lying through his teeth about that too, except that it's NOT DUPCAK and I'm NOT lying, and I'm NOT DUPCAK!

OK, If I'm twisting facts and making things up as I go along, let's turn our attention back to Rob Zipperer/Clobberin'Time's purchase of my CGC X-Men 5 Blue 9.4. I relayed a story. A long one. Rob and I have had our many differences on the CGC Forum, but WHERE IS HIS REBUTTAL of my account on those details? Even when at odds, Rob was HONORABLE enough to write, "My words have the ring of truth", because he had heard and experienced many of the same details I would share with CGC Forumites about many of the inner sanctum workings of the hobby (the things you DON'T hear or see..the things that are dismissed by the die-hard followers of CGC as "conspiracy theories"). He's not going to rebutt my details of that event because he CAN'T and WON'T. It's not in him to do that.

Does anyone actually believe that ALL of Fantazia's employees and customers (and ASSOCIATES, like Cantie at that time) are dead and buried and for me to accumulate information is not possible on these subjects.

I have NO reason to defend Fantazia. I don't know Cantie personally, but I KNOW of Cantie and his associations and dealings that he now denies emphatically for the most part. He wants to blast ME for relaying what I've found out about events surrounding the formation of a restoration service that he is now associating with ME, by way of Fantazia, a store that I was NOT associated with, then I am going to relay the info as received. The thing to remember here, the main thing that we all keep forgetting is that NOBODY IS ON TRIAL here. Not Cantie, Not Fantazia, Not former employees, associates or friends of Fantazia and certainly not ME.

One further thing to please try to consider is that it is increasingly difficult for me to continue answering these questions. Even when I explain very carefully and lucidly many times, the text is misconstrued. I've been letting alot of things slide due to the increased time spent on trying to extend the proper respect and courteousy to everyone in answering questions as I have been extended courteousy by many and it is very much appreciated. But like I said, if I don't spend a few days away from the boards, I WILL be guilty of something (non performance) and the negatives WILL roll in, not for restoration, but for non-shipment and late shipment of items!!!

Also, if you have questions on COMICS. Things that you are really curious about. I'd really like to be able to contribute something to y'all as far as sharing my knowledge to help in some way. I'd really rather it be THAT than having to constantly post defensively on issues that just go nowhere anyway.

See you in a couple.

more disinformation makepoint.gifforeheadslap.gif

Oh, and don't forget my reply...

"Danny, please. Leave me out of your game playing. Whatever version of the truth you choose to spin your web with does not make up for the facts, regardless of the name you go under now - Danny Dupcek, Richard Koos, etc. You are still up to your old tricks."

Of course they take my word for how things really were all those years ago. I have not been spending my time keeping out of jail...lying and cheating people with trimmed and restored books on eBay...making up stories about being a doctor, nurse, bodybuilder etc. I don't understand why he is still denying everything! CBG has blown this wide open, and it is only a matter of time before the report gets to the right people and he gets banned from eBay (we can only hope).

893applaud-thumb.gif