• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Birthday to Al Feldstein

11 posts in this topic

He is a heckuva nice guy too. I always try to stop by his booth if he's at a con.

I have been to a few discussion panels about Mad and EC comics Al is always entertaining. He has a lot of interesting input about comics,Mad, censorship, economics of comics vs content. He's very cool.

I heard he had cancelled some con appearences because of health problems I hope he is doing better!!

Happy Birthday Al!

84 yrs young..Go AL!

Isn't there a pic of you and Dev sitting on his lap? Or is that one just Dev?

And I think Al is feeling better, this is from May of this year:

"Dear Concerned Friends and Relatives and Those Who Care:

My sincere thanks to all of you who sent me your good wishes and best-of-luck notes and cards as I awaited admission to the Mayo Clinic for my Double-Bi-Pass, Aortic Valve Replacement, Open Heart Surgery.

We arrived in Rochester on April 13th...enjoyed a day of rest...and on April 15th and 16th, I underwent a battery of extensive tests at Mayo to determine if I was a candidate for the surgery I required and if I could successfully survive such a procedure...

..and it was determined that I was.

So on April 17th I underwent surgery.

This is the first time since I arrived back home from Mayo that I have felt up to writing to all of you and to updating you on my progress.

As is obvious, I have survived the operation well and am now on the road to an extremely slow but steady recovery.

Needless to say, the first week after the surgery was a tough one. My memory of it is one of long, drugged days... living with all kinds of tubes and drains and swellings. But as time went by and more and more drains and tubes were removed, I began to feel better.

On April 25, I was discharged from the hospital and went to live in our hotel room in Rochester...where Michelle had stayed during the entire ordeal with her teacup poodle "Perky" for company.

We flew home to Livingston and the ranch on April 27th...

...and I have been making slow and stead progress toward full recovery ever since.

I will keep you all further informed of my recovery as time goes by...

...and I thank you all for your sincere concerns.

MAD-ly yours,

Al"

Great to hear Short Box..There was a picture of my sitting on his lap from another con..I think San Diego the year we met. (you and I) I sat on his lap. I am not sure who did it first but I know Dev did too. Sitting on artist's laps was a fad for awhile.

That was the year Al signed all those Mads..except the older ones he didn't work on. The year of the EC panel.

I miss ya ! I miss Al too.

Dang that thieving such and such who stole all my signed Mad magazines..

PS I'll never forget the day we met..lol the look of surprise on your face was priceless I wish I had a picture!!

+1

One of my favourite writer / artists.

I never tire of going back every few years and re-reading his EC work.

Most of all I'm a fan of his science-fiction books. The claustrophobic, paranoid atmosphere he generates in those stories is quite amazing.

Had a great chat with him once, during which he signed my 'Horror Comics of the 1950's' hardcover. A really nice guy. Couldn't possibly agree more.