• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Pressing question. Proscreen vs pressing!

59 posts in this topic

OK, I have heard all the arguments from both sides. But I am pretty bored with it all.

Lets take this thing to a new level and perhaps more important level. I have seen several sales threads in which the books are advertised as "Not Pressed", sometimes by people who I am sure have books pressed. Is it disingenuous to advertise a book as not pressed when you have in fact had the book proscreened (by a pro) and determined that it is not a pressing candidate?

My belief is that there are 2 clear motives in labeling a book as not pressed. #1 is to sell the book to people who don't want pressed books. #2 is to sell the book to a presser who thinks there is a chance of an upgrade on the book. For all the all the Agents of D.I.S.C.L.O.S.U.R.E. out there, maybe this can give you a new mission.

Or maybe I am just stirring it up a little..... hm

OK, I have heard all the arguments from both sides. But I am pretty bored with it all.

Lets take this thing to a new level and perhaps more important level. I have seen several sales threads in which the books are advertised as "Not Pressed", sometimes by people who I am sure have books pressed. Is it disingenuous to advertise a book as not pressed when you have in fact had the book proscreened (by a pro) and determined that it is not a pressing candidate?

My belief is that there are 2 clear motives in labeling a book as not pressed. #1 is to sell the book to people who don't want pressed books. #2 is to sell the book to a presser who thinks there is a chance of an upgrade on the book. For all the all the Agents of D.I.S.C.L.O.S.U.R.E. out there, maybe this can give you a new mission.

Actually, you're babbling. :grin: There are indeed collectors who prefer buying books that can be guaranteed to never have been pressed, or instead are unlikely to have been pressed (especially the former). When I sell a book that I bought off the rack and offer the guarantee, it is to make the book more attractive to collectors who don't want pressed books. I like being an "Agent of DISCLOSURE", as you call it.

Unless the customer is you of course, Dale, since you buy my stuff to press and resubmit it. :baiting:

Actually, you're babbling. :grin:

As opposed to pontificating. :grin:

My very own troll. :cloud9:

My very own troll. :cloud9:

You're right in this instance. That post was trolling. :foryou:

Rehashing more like, although that's pretty much it. No need for further discussion. :ohnoez:

Rehashing more like, although that's pretty much it. No need for further discussion. :ohnoez:

way to go thread killer meh

That's pretty much my job here. Should've been my custom title rather than the one I do have. :tonofbricks:

That's pretty much my job here. Should've been my custom title rather than the one I do have. :tonofbricks:

Oh no. Your custom title is absolutely perfect. Do I need to get Chrome to offer up a reminder?

It is what it is. When I buy for myself I want the best book I can get> That being said since my focus has changed to all GA pressing something to keep for myself is a option to better my collection. I guess I'd like to know its been pressed just so I wouldn't waste the money again. When selling just say it has or hasn't and be done with it.

Oh no. Your custom title is absolutely perfect. Do I need to get Chrome to offer up a reminder?

It's all Chrome's fault in the first place (plus a boardie who doesn't post here anymore called kiltman).

Four years of being the Captain and no promotion either.... :cry:

Actually, you're babbling. There are indeed collectors who prefer buying books that can be guaranteed to never have been pressed, or instead are unlikely to have been pressed (especially the former). When I sell a book that I bought off the rack and offer the guarantee, it is to make the book more attractive to collectors who don't want pressed books.

Unless the customer is you of course, Dale, since you buy my stuff to press and resubmit it. :baiting:

I am one of those guys that prefer books that are not pressed. I was looking through a few of my books that I will be sending to CGC soon. I couldn't help but notice that this book is probably a 6.5 in it's current state due to a non color-breaking vertical fold about an inch from the spine. After examining the rest of the book, it is clear to me that it could easily be pressed to an 8.5. I have many books in my collection that could be bumped by 2 full grades by having them pressed. The main reason I collect GA comics is to own something old and original. There is no way someone can convince me that squashing the paper fibers on a book down past the crease to make it disappear is not changing the book from it's original state. Sure, I could increase my collection by 10K or so. It's just not worth it to me.

action117raw001.jpg

It's all Chrome's fault in the first place (plus a boardie who doesn't post here anymore called kiltman).

Admiral Red Pants. hm

Actually, you're babbling. There are indeed collectors who prefer buying books that can be guaranteed to never have been pressed, or instead are unlikely to have been pressed (especially the former). When I sell a book that I bought off the rack and offer the guarantee, it is to make the book more attractive to collectors who don't want pressed books.

I am one of those guys that prefer books that are not pressed. I was looking through a few of my books that I will be sending to CGC soon. I couldn't help but notice that this book is probably a 6.5 in it's current state due to a non color-breaking vertical fold about an inch from the spine. After examining the rest of the book, it is clear to me that it could easily be pressed to an 8.5. I have many books in my collection that could be bumped by 2 full grades by having them pressed. The main reason I collect GA comics is to own something old and original. There is no way someone can convince me that squashing the paper fibers on a book down past the crease to make it disappear is not changing the book from it's original state. Sure, I could increase my collection by 10K or so. It's just not worth it to me.

action117raw001.jpg

I dont think the tanning would let it get that high. However, the crease will press out (or should from the look of the picture) and would get you another grade or 2 bump. It is a sweet book!

Admiral Red Pants. hm

^^

action117raw001.jpg

I'm impressed that you're not prepared to press the book even for aesthetic or cosmetic purposes.

I'm not sure we are acknowledging Dale's true question about the motivations of disclosure. Two comments I would like to add:

There are more benefits to a proscreen other than finding pressing candidates.

To me resto detection is key. I don't believe there is a rule that you have to press a proscreen ?

I would actually prefer to buy a pressed book as they present better. However, disclosure is still important to me as a factor in the price I am willing to pay. I don't want to pay high GPA on a pressed book.

Yeah, this question was probably more aptly aimed at the people who want disclosure. Disclosure is not supposed to be strictly about pressing, but about restoration and supposedly any knowledge which could legitimately affect the sales price of the book. The fact that a book had passed or failed a proscreen would seem to fit that criteria.