• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Perfect Grade

83 posts in this topic

I've been wondering about the "perfect grade". Not a 'perfect' book, but the grade level that expresses both perfection and reality.

The perfect grade level allows no physical damage. No broken fibers, broken or cracked ink, no tears or scuffs, etc. Toss in a caveat for those teeny bindery tears that can appear top and bottom of the spine. We're striving for reality.

Understanding that paper is more cloth-like than coin-like, it allows normal signs of production, distribution, retailing, and perhaps a single reading. Still, no permanent damage. Some ncb creasing from being opened, maybe waves or dents or curls since paper can move like that without harm. But on close inspection nothing is broken, abraded, or missing.

Where, on today's 10 point scale, do books like that fall? An "as published" book showing expected signs of being a part of reality (because it is). Any idea of the grade?

9.6 to 9.9

I included 9.9 because I had two OO Uncanny X-Men books that were read and then placed in mylars with backing boards that pulled unpressed 9.9s when the books were graded by CGC.

I might add that they came to me via UPS in a box from a subscription service offered by Collector's Choice LCS in Cleveland, Tennessee.

I would say 9.6-9.8. Since 9.9 and 10 represent MINT condtion books (books straight off the prinitng press) no reading or handling defects should be present and are thus not part of the reality of comic collecting. As an example, none of the books i owned from my original collection came back 9.9 or 10. Zero. And I always bought the 2 best copies of issues I could find from my LCS. One copy I read and the other went straight to bag and board.

My point is it isn't impossible to get a 9.9 off the stands these days... especially with the improved cover stocks. A 10.0 is and always will be a freak of nature.

You are defintely correct about the improved cover stock and better paper quality leading to overall better condition. But even you had only 2 9.9's out of how many books? It is quite miraculous. A 10 is a freak of nature. 9.8 is more in tune with reality.

But, yes, with today's paper stock, you probably would get more than two 9.9's.

My point is it isn't impossible to get a 9.9 off the stands these days... especially with the improved cover stocks. A 10.0 is and always will be a freak of nature.

You are defintely correct about the improved cover stock and better paper quality leading to overall better condition. But even you had only 2 9.9's out of how many books? It is quite miraculous. A 10 is a freak of nature. 9.8 is more in tune with reality.

I thought getting 9.8 was a some kind of crapshoot. Ya'll aren't suggesting someone can go to a LCS and scoop up new books and they're all 9.8 or better?

Let me ask another way... What's the lowest grade a book can get and still have no permanent damage?

I thought getting 9.8 was a some kind of crapshoot. Ya'll aren't suggesting someone can go to a LCS and scoop up new books and they're all 9.8 or better?

Yes. I have pulled unpressed 9.8s out of dealer dollar boxes at conventions. 9.8s are not that difficult.

Let me ask another way... What's the lowest grade a book can get and still have no permanent damage?

What do you mean?

Yes. I have pulled unpressed 9.8s out of dealer dollar boxes at conventions. 9.8s are not that difficult.

What do you mean?

It's in my opening post. (shrug) I'm wondering where the grade level is that books below it will have actual un-reverseable damage. That tipping point where a book isn't harmed, but does show signs of life.

What do you mean?

It's in my opening post. (shrug) I'm wondering where the grade level is that books below it will have actual un-reverseable damage. That tipping point where a book isn't harmed, but does show signs of life.

I'm not sure I even understand the question but I'm currently putting a silver age Avenger run together in 9.0/9.2. Books look fantastic to me but do have some wear obviously. IMO though, the amount of wear on a 40+ year old book that gets a 9 or 9.2 just seems so minimal to me as to be almost unnoticeable. I've never seen or owned a book in 9.6 or higher so I can only imagine how pristine those look. I haven't seen a modern book forever so I would assume they're all 9.8 drek. :insane:

What do you mean?

I'm not sure I even understand the question but I'm currently putting a silver age Avenger run together in 9.0/9.2. Books look fantastic to me but do have some wear obviously. IMO though, the amount of wear on a 40+ year old book that gets a 9 or 9.2 just seems so minimal to me as to be almost unnoticeable. I've never seen or owned a book in 9.6 or higher so I can only imagine how pristine those look. I haven't seen a modern book forever so I would assume they're all 9.8 drek. :insane:

Your approach seems very realistic. And that's what I'm asking.

I'm guessing 9.2 is probably the level where if there is any actual damage, it's going to be the minuscule nano-variety. (There was that infamous CGC 9.2 that had a visible center-spine tear, but that was an Ewert re-sub of an 8.5, so I'm not sure it counts. Midas touch, and all that).

To me 9.6 is the perfect grade, all around. Books from all eras, by and large, look spectacular in 9.6 and you do not have to pay the uber-prices. That being said I also love 9.4s for the same reason, but sometimes 9.4s have one big flaw that make them a little less attractive.

Not all of them but a significant portion of today's new comics would grade a 9.8. The paper is just better quality than what was used in the 60's, 70's and even the 80's. For an example, my last submission was four modern x-men books. Three came back 9.8 and one 9.6.

What do you mean?

If by unreversable you mean damage that includes color break, then I would say 9.6 since I believe color break is allowed in 9.4 as long as it very tiny.

I must I need another cup of coffee, cause I am ???

What is the perfect grade?, depends on the era if you ask me, and then one must factor in QP of a certain print run or where the visible flaws actually are.

In the end near flawless is near flawless no matter how you slice it so I will go with what Jim said.

I must I need another cup of coffee, cause I am ???

What is the perfect grade?, depends on the era if you ask me, and then one must fact in QP and where the visible flaws actually are.

In the end near flawless is near flawless no matter how you slice it so I will go with what Jim said.

(thumbs u

To me 9.6 is the perfect grade, all around. Books from all eras, by and large, look spectacular in 9.6 and you do not have to pay the uber-prices. That being said I also love 9.4s for the same reason, but sometimes 9.4s have one big flaw that make them a little less attractive.

lol I'm so glad I set the bar and my personal expectations so low. :insane: I definitely understand the desire some have to own absolutely top of the line, highest graded type books. But I have to say the idea of a "big flaw" on a 9.4 book cracks me up. No offense meant at all by that. Just saying I'm so happy to have anything that presents well that I don't know what would be considered a "big flaw" on such a high grade book. For me, a big flaw is something you can see with the naked eye at first glance, without actually looking for flaws. A popped stable, a spine split, a big hunk of marker or something on the cover, foxing, etc....

It's all personal preference of course. We all have our standards. I used to own this book and for the life of me, I couldn't tell you if it had one small flaw let alone a "big flaw". If somebody told me it came off the printers yesterday I would believe them.

Rangers26BigApple.jpg