• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Perfect Grade

83 posts in this topic

You can get that with some 9.0s, depending on the defects.

Could not agree more. My desire to start a SA Avenger run basically came down to what grade range was going to be aesthetically appealing to me and yet still be affordable. Eventually I settled on 9.0. Of the 30 books I have obtained thus far, 27 are 9.0, the others 9.2. For fractions of the cost of 9.4 and up I found my "sweet spot".

Sorry Dav, I am still confused. :insane:

Are you asking what the perfect grade is for a book that has not been pressed even though it might exhibit pressable flaws?

For sanity's sake let's not make the thread about pressing. :wishluck:Let's just agree that pressable flaws aren't actual physical damage, or they wouldn't be pressable.

You know, Dav. You just gave the pro-pressing crowd a whole bunch of ammo with that line. :makepoint::jokealert:

Maybe that quote from above will help:

" If somebody told me it came off the printers yesterday I would believe them."

Well, maybe not the printers, but a normal store purchase, a reading, then decades of care. Where on the scale does that begin? The lowest grade before actual damage shows up. (shrug)

Again I would say 9.6. You haven't given us your view. What do you think?

Seriously, I'm confused and conflicted. Have been for some time, and the more I see the more confusing it gets. :eek:

For me grading criteria seemed to evolve nicely along for multiple decades, matching collector's needs and questions. Then, when encapsulation arrived, seemed to stagnate, full on stop. Current grading criteria refuses to keep up with any current events, and my guess is because doing so provides the loophole you can drive a moneytrain through.

I really don't see grading evolving anytime soon, or in the foreseeable future. Do you? (shrug) Now I'm just wondering if I could adapt to the goofy scale in play. ??? Thought I'd ask for opinions.

What do you mean by current events? As for the evolution of grading, do you mean the point scale? I guess they could add more points (ie 9.1,9.3, etc) to further delineate(sp) the differences between books. Or do you mean what defects make up a certain grade? In that case, that is always in flux and would have to be determined on a book by book case. As Kenny said it is in the eye of the beholder. This is where the art part of grading comes in. You can't quantify each defect and assign it a score and use that as the sole basis for determining grade. All defects differ in severity, placement, affect on eye appeal. This is where personal judgement comes in. I'm sorry if i'm not explaining my point clearly.

I guess they could add more points (ie 9.1,9.3, etc) to further delineate(sp) the differences between books.

Noooo! No more grading tiers. :P

I could see it happen if enough people complain about soft or strong grades. That 9.4 is soft ok make it a 9.3. The book is the best 9.4 I've seen ok make it a 9.5. Besides, if they decide to do it, you'll take it and like it. :baiting:

I guess they could add more points (ie 9.1,9.3, etc) to further delineate(sp) the differences between books.

I could see it happen if enough people complain about soft or strong grades. That 9.4 is soft ok make it a 9.3. The book is the best 9.4 I've seen ok make it a 9.5. Besides, if they decide to do it, you'll take it and like it. :baiting:

Been there, done that. Did NOT like it! :sumo:

Been there, done that. Did NOT like it! :sumo:

That is because Wizard was behind it and they can't do anything right. :makepoint:

It crumbled into a pit of alcohol & drug addiction and then came shinning back with new boobs? (shrug)

Fixed. "New" implies that she had a pair to begin with.

VG- with a tight spine. But then I'm old school, and a reader to boot. I don't want to have to worry about losing half a book's value if I should accidently smudge the cover or drop the book and give it a bumped corner.

I don't turn my nose up at a 9.6 if it drops into my lap, but I won't pay a premium, and a solid 1.5 will do me nicely if it's an expensive key or bargain priced.

Like I said, old school....the STORY is EVERYTHING!

Let's just agree that pressable flaws aren't actual physical damage, or they wouldn't be pressable.

Whats wrong with what I said? (shrug) That's the goofy loophole being exploited, is it not?

grader: aw, shame the paper moved. deduct. :(

player: look, deducted 'cause the paper moved. we can move it back and get a re-grade! :)

grader: wow, the paper never moved! amazing,and so rare!! (worship)

player: meh

community: :slapfight:

And round and round it goes...

If you continue to use words such as gaming and player, then you are going to make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. (tsk)

Huh? (shrug)

I think Halperin himself refers to the “crack out” game. You know, as in gaming the system. So wouldn't a participant be a 'gamer' or 'player'??

So what's the correct pc term for one who utilizes (plays) the "crack out" game? Is there no term because of the "nothing happens, there's no difference" pretense the market enjoys?