• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Merit of Slabbing Lower Grade Comics?

35 posts in this topic

Since I own my own blacklight, and don't trust CGC to catch all restoration, I feel that having it raw opens the opportunity to inspection beyond CGC's 'final say'. I can state one example of missed staple replacement that wasn't noticed, and they have a hard time distinguishing between a trim job and a genuine miscut book. Sure, sure, they're great graders, good guys, blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day, they are only human as well. (side note: Why do they have to slab restored comics? Why can't they charge a cheaper fee for looking over your book, and send it back with their notes about restoration they have found?)

So....OTHER than to check for restoration, what could possibly be the merits of slabbing anything below a solid looking 6.0? And BTW, I feel a good mylar w/board can be better than CGC's cases. Their cases put waves in the books after a time. Properly stored mylars don't.

You bring up a great point here... but it is a conditional point. Not everyone 1. has a blacklight, 2. not everyone knows what to do with it, and 3. even then, there are other forms of resto to watch out for that a black light won't always pick up on. For you, it sounds like CGC's grading and resto check isn't necessary; for others, however, it's a valuable assurance. Additionally, when buying from venues like eBay where the in-hand grading is not an option (read Comics General for numerous horror stories), having the encapsulated option is much more preferable for many buyers out there who then go on to crack the book out and enjoy it.

Look, I'm a raw collector with minimal slabs in my collection; however, I also understand the value and reason many choose to go slabbed. Oh! And you might enjoy the thread discussion taking place in Comics General about the different holders and the quality pros and cons (thumbs u

Thanks.

I am aware of the misgraded horror stories from ebay. However, I have heard an almost equal amount of horror stories about slabs arriving already cracked. Who's to say the 'ol 'bait and switch' hasn't occured? The seller's response?: "It must have been cracked in shipping. Sorry, no refunds on CGC graded books..." I have also heard that the Post Office refuses to pay on damaged slabs, because they don't feel it's their fault when it happens. They say the wells on the slabs are too fragile, and easily crushed.

That's absolutely not true. If a CGC book is sent insured, and it gets damaged in transit, the post office pays up just like they would for any other item.

In regards to slabs getting cracked during shipping, that's the exception, not the rule - I've received & sent about a hundred slabs this year, and had just one arrive damaged with one cracked corner. You need to crack at least 2 corner posts to do a bait & switch, which is why CGC will happily reholder (not regrade) books where just one post is cracked.

Fair enough that CGC books aren't your thing, but making up stories to support your argument is silly.

Now I'm making up stories? Pure BS. I have sent out over 5,000 packages over the past couple of years, and was told this directly by my PO, when a slab I sent was damaged. The Post Office only pays out when you Insure ONLY if you SAVE the packaging for them to inspect. They found no fault in my packing, but said the holder seemed easily damaged. And I have no problem DEALING in CGC books. I just have a problem with sending them anymore books to grade. BIG difference, Einstein.

Since I own my own blacklight, and don't trust CGC to catch all restoration, I feel that having it raw opens the opportunity to inspection beyond CGC's 'final say'. I can state one example of missed staple replacement that wasn't noticed, and they have a hard time distinguishing between a trim job and a genuine miscut book. Sure, sure, they're great graders, good guys, blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day, they are only human as well. (side note: Why do they have to slab restored comics? Why can't they charge a cheaper fee for looking over your book, and send it back with their notes about restoration they have found?)

So....OTHER than to check for restoration, what could possibly be the merits of slabbing anything below a solid looking 6.0? And BTW, I feel a good mylar w/board can be better than CGC's cases. Their cases put waves in the books after a time. Properly stored mylars don't.

You bring up a great point here... but it is a conditional point. Not everyone 1. has a blacklight, 2. not everyone knows what to do with it, and 3. even then, there are other forms of resto to watch out for that a black light won't always pick up on. For you, it sounds like CGC's grading and resto check isn't necessary; for others, however, it's a valuable assurance. Additionally, when buying from venues like eBay where the in-hand grading is not an option (read Comics General for numerous horror stories), having the encapsulated option is much more preferable for many buyers out there who then go on to crack the book out and enjoy it.

Look, I'm a raw collector with minimal slabs in my collection; however, I also understand the value and reason many choose to go slabbed. Oh! And you might enjoy the thread discussion taking place in Comics General about the different holders and the quality pros and cons (thumbs u

Thanks.

I am aware of the misgraded horror stories from ebay. However, I have heard an almost equal amount of horror stories about slabs arriving already cracked. Who's to say the 'ol 'bait and switch' hasn't occured? The seller's response?: "It must have been cracked in shipping. Sorry, no refunds on CGC graded books..." I have also heard that the Post Office refuses to pay on damaged slabs, because they don't feel it's their fault when it happens. They say the wells on the slabs are too fragile, and easily crushed.

That's absolutely not true. If a CGC book is sent insured, and it gets damaged in transit, the post office pays up just like they would for any other item.

In regards to slabs getting cracked during shipping, that's the exception, not the rule - I've received & sent about a hundred slabs this year, and had just one arrive damaged with one cracked corner. You need to crack at least 2 corner posts to do a bait & switch, which is why CGC will happily reholder (not regrade) books where just one post is cracked.

Fair enough that CGC books aren't your thing, but making up stories to support your argument is silly.

Now I'm making up stories? Pure BS. I have sent out over 5,000 packages over the past couple of years, and was told this directly by my PO, when a slab I sent was damaged. The Post Office only pays out when you Insure ONLY if you SAVE the packaging for them to inspect. They found no fault in my packing, but said the holder seemed easily damaged. And I have no problem DEALING in CGC books. I just have a problem with sending them anymore books to grade. BIG difference, Einstein.

Yes, you actually are.

Who gives a rats azz if whatever postal clerk you spoke to said that "the holder seemed easily damaged" - your claim was that the postal office refuses to pay out the insurance for slabs which is patently untrue.

Thanks.

Bold, caps, and insults, zomg you must be super cereal.

Who gives a rats azz if whatever postal clerk you spoke to said that "the holder seemed easily damaged" - your claim was that the postal office refuses to pay out the insurance for slabs which is patently untrue.

Take your utter douchebaggery to someone else's thread. I have no time or patience to squabble with you, you sad little man. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make me a liar.

376764701.jpg

:ohnoez: now large font too, VK why are you so full of Nerd-rage?

It is also my opinion that i have had at least 2 successful ins claims on damaged slabbed books.

It is also my opinion that i have had at least 2 successful ins claims on damaged slabbed books.

Nerd-rage? Hardly.

Being called a liar? (tsk)

Nerd-rage? Hardly.

Being called a liar? (tsk)

Well you are talking to people who know it is common knowledge that the PO will pay claims for Damaged CGC books that are sent insured. So i disagree, you are full of Nerd-rage.

Take your utter douchebaggery to someone else's thread. I have no time or patience to squabble with you, you sad little man. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make me a liar.

376764701.jpg

He did not call you a liar. He stated that your facts were "untrue". Based on our experience he was right.

Well you are talking to people who know it is common knowledge that the PO will pay claims for Damaged CGC books that are sent insured. So i disagree, you are full of Nerd-rage.

Like I said, the post office will only pay up if you can prove it was soundly packaged.

He did not call you a liar. He stated that your facts were "untrue". Based on our experience he was right.

Are you serious? Calling my claims untrue is the same as calling me a liar. Based on MY experience, he CAN be wrong. It seems like postal inspectors vary from office to office. My local post office won't let me send comics by Media Mail, and according to their guidlelines, it should be that way. However, many sellers are able to get away with it at their local post office with no problems. See what I mean? Certainly doesn't make me a liar, by any means.