• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CGC case, and shipping

46 posts in this topic

How does the weight of the PGX holder compare?

I know it sounds funny but if you haven't tried carrying a pile of slabs, they get heavy really quick.

Weight is a very important factor as it adds to shipping costs on multiple slabs as well as the amount of books you can carry to a con.

In fact CGC will limit how many slabs they will stack in a box horizontally as once you exceed a certain number of slabs the accumulated weight of the slabs can be detrimental to the slabs themselves.

R.

The case could easily be 1 inch short as well. That would also great enhance the ship-ability of it.

-scott

That is an excellent point!

One cannot pack a slab to ensure it will arrive 100% damage free - other than hand delivery. One cannot determine if the postal carrier in NY or wherever is having a bad day and takes it out on their packages (not that they would, but no guarantees).

I feel that I'm a pretty strong packer and I've had cases cracked more than once (though less than say 5 times). Just ask Count. :cry:

I use the whole gamut of material - bubble wrap, cardboard, peanuts and double boxing. Still no guarantees.

In fact CGC will limit how many slabs they will stack in a box horizontally as once you exceed a certain number of slabs the accumulated weight of the slabs can be detrimental to the slabs themselves.

I store my slabs vertically in stacks of 20. I haven't seen any detriment to the slabs so far.

As for the CGC holder itself, I'm getting pretty sick of cracked and broken slabs. I've around 6 now that need reholdering. Only one was cracked by me, it slipped out of my hand, fell maybe 18/20" onto laminate flooring and the whole bottom of the case cracked off. I know they're not designed to be booted about but I didn't think a drop of that distance would do so much damage.

I can't compare against PGX cases as I've never owned one.

have you ever held a BGS slab for a baseball card in your hand? The thing is a work of art. Very solid, very durable, and breaks down how grade was arrived at on the label, but that is another argument.

BGS is the best case in the card industry, I agree. Perhaps CGC could use BGSs' holder manufacturer to change the scale of the holder to fit comic books.

O/T here but it never ceases to amaze me that people on the probation list, let alone the Hall of Shame, continue to post like a regular, good-ole', upstanding member of the community.

Do I have it wrong or can you satisfy all your obligations and still remain on the probation list? I'd think if my reputation were in the proverbial krapper, I would spend all my efforts towards getting off such a list as opposed to simply posting like nothing ever happened.

Maybe I should mind my own business too. :)

We can now get back to our regularly scheduled flogging of CGC's slabs.

I would gladly pay an extra $5 bucks for the gradeing fee if CGC just improved there case. They could call it THE CASE 2.0 lol I did a little ''test'' on some low grade CGC & PGX slabs about two years back were I dropped them 10 feet from the floor (don't worry these were low grades) and the CGC slab actualy broke open (I guess that's not such a surprise considering the 10 foot drop) but what was surprising was the PGX slab didn't have a SCRATCH! :o Now this little ''strength'' test is swhy I switched to PGX for awhile till I discoverd there less then honest (or very least ignorant) gradeing standerds.

O/T here but it never ceases to amaze me that people on the probation list, let alone the Hall of Shame, continue to post like a regular, good-ole', upstanding member of the community.

Do I have it wrong or can you satisfy all your obligations and still remain on the probation list? I'd think if my reputation were in the proverbial krapper, I would spend all my efforts towards getting off such a list as opposed to simply posting like nothing ever happened.

I agree 100% and believe these individuals should be tarred and feathered if they continue to post without dealing with past problems that are still outstanding.

R.

I agree 100% and believe these individuals should be tarred and feathered if they continue to post without dealing with past problems that are still outstanding.

R.

Who are you guys talking about?

R.

Who are you guys talking about?

This guy, for starters:

I have had a few PGX slabs. I have never seen one cracked. But I'm sure there are a few out there. They get dropped, bumped, etc...

Its way more extreme than that SM. You can take a CGC book and drop it 18" on a table and it will crack. The PGX book on other hand, you can fling at a wall 10' away and not only will it be crack free, but scratch free as well.

But I do not think we need that level of protection, just a reasonably decent and secure case that will hold up to being shipped, when packed ok, and handled ok by mail carrier. Because as it is, the CGC case is downright fragile, and packing it reasonably well will still result in head aches and case damage, in a good percent of instances, which has to be irritating to other people besides myself.

Yes, the way R1970d, described packing the book, it should get to destination fine. I have never encountered my CGC books to be shipped to me that way. I venture to guess that I could ship a partially cracked uncooked egg in your R1970d packaging and it will arrive fine. But the case should not be as fragile as a partially cracked uncooked egg in the first place, should it?

Couple answers from me:

Roy, the pgx slabs are heavy as hell, i dont have any but have before, and i would say easily they are 2x as heavy.

Collesystem, Ive seen someone post on the forum that the pgx slabs are made of acrylic (jeff iirc)

The case being damaged does not bother even anywhere near as much as the fact that the case can harm my book.