• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 years on eBay.

130 posts in this topic

12 years and 7 months --- man how time flies -- or is it attracts flies :insane:

Probably attracts flies owing to how badly the site has declined since you first joined...

eBay used to be a great venue for buying comics...just great. But after it became the mass market behemoth it is now, and that's declining, it's become more of a dumping ground for . While it still has some utility for selling comics, it doesn't have the desirability of looking for great comics it once had due to the shilling, sniping, and general "eBay bump" mentality it had in the early days...

Jim

10 years next summer. It's incredible how fast the time has gone. I grew up without the internet - it's hard to imagine it's been here this long already.

What are some of the changes we've seen? I wasn't active when I first joined.

Apparently feedback could be given at random to anyone?? When did that stop?

So anybody have any good stories to tell about eBay?

I hear it was the wild west back then.

What's different to day compared to ten years ago?

So anybody have any good stories to tell about eBay?

I hear it was the wild west back then.

What's different to day compared to ten years ago?

I think you need to go no further than the Pacific Coast Pedigree to know how great it was...

You could get access to wonderful comics straight from collectors and have the same chance for gems, Bettywalls comes to mind, before dealers and the increased knowledge of the market made it almost impossible to find the same quality...

Jim

Today is my 10th anniversary on eBay! :whee:

Confetti_canon.gif

Of course, eBay has changed a lot in 10 years (and not for the better). But it's still where I buy and sell most of my comic books.

Anybody else have a 10 year eBay anniversary this year?

Yes, last week! How about that. 10 years, 6 days for me. I didn't even notice until your post. :D

The big changes off the top of my head:

1. You could leave feedback to anyone for any reason, even if you didn't have a transaction with them.

2. Method of payment was decided by buyer and seller and was always done through snail mail. Checks, money orders, and cash were all valid options. Due to this, there was a lot more correspondence between buyers and sellers.

3. EBay didn't have a photo hosting service, you had to include photos in your auctions through an independent host.

4. All listings were auctions, there were no "Buy It Now" listings or eBay stores.

5. You could use your e-mail address as your eBay ID, and many people did.

6. All bidding activity was visible in every auction, and bidder's IDs were not masked. You could even search by specific user names to see what they were bidding on.

7. The comic book chat board on eBay was vibrant and full of useful information. In fact, back in the early days it was much like the CGC boards are now. It was used to expose fraudulent sellers and auctions, and to discuss every aspect of the hobby.

6. All bidding activity was visible in every auction, and bidder's IDs were not masked. You could even search by specific user names to see what they were bidding on.

7. The comic book chat board on eBay was vibrant and full of useful information. In fact, back in the early days it was much like the CGC boards are now. It was used to expose fraudulent sellers and auctions, and to discuss every aspect of the hobby.

These are probably some of the greatest benefits of the early days. I never had a bad transaction on eBay until 2001 when the scammers had learned the system and exploited it.

Jim

I am a couple of months short of my 13th anniversary with Ebay. :preach:

I agree it's changed a ton and almost none of it for the better.

Bettywalls comes to mind, before dealers and the increased knowledge of the market made it almost impossible to find the same quality...

Jim

I bought several BA keys from bettyswalls215. zillaf4 (langessports) was also a good source.

many a deal was made using the contact feature....you could email the underbidders and say "hey i have this item at this price, etc etc" and make a deal or two off the bay. :cloud9: plus a great way to make a contact list for future auctions or deals. not anymore though..... :mad:

Today is my 10th anniversary on eBay! :whee:

Confetti_canon.gif

Of course, eBay has changed a lot in 10 years (and not for the better). But it's still where I buy and sell most of my comic books.

This actually my 11th year on Ebay

It will be 12 years for me in February.

I amassed a huge DVD collection by joining Columbia House DVD club, flipping most DVDs and keeping some. For a while there was a real market for OOP Disney videos also. I actually made my first online purchase by mailing a check to a guy I met on Compuserve for an OOP copy of Jungle Book.

It was so much easier to sell one or two things on Ebay back then. I only have 185 feedback over those 12 years.