• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article about Heritage from the Oregonian

39 posts in this topic

I just finished reading The Card, about the history of the most expensive baseball card in the world. It had a lot of good information about MastroNet, fraud in sports memorabilia collecting, etc.

VERY recommended to everyone here on the boards, esp. to those who also collect trading cards.

It`d be easier to take this article seriously if the complaining collector revealed his name, rather than remaining anonymous. For all we know it`s someone who`s a competitor of Heritage.

It occurred to me that he might have remained anonymous because he's still buying from Heritage.

It`d be easier to take this article seriously if the complaining collector revealed his name, rather than remaining anonymous. For all we know it`s someone who`s a competitor of Heritage.

It occurred to me that he might have remained anonymous because he's still buying from Heritage.

I think that makes the anonymous party not extraordinarily quick on the uptake.

Kinda like:

"I am convinced Bob robbed my house but I don't want to say anything to him because I want to have him over to watch the football game on Saturday."

Anyone who makes accusations like this, or has these suspicions, and continues to deal with that party, lose respect and sympathy from me rather quickly.

If that`s really the case, my only comment to that person would be "boo-frickin-hoo!"

Kinda like:

"I am convinced Bob robbed my house but I don't want to say anything to him because I want to have him over to watch the football game on Saturday."

Anyone who makes accusations like this, or has these suspicions, and continues to deal with the party lose respect and sympathy from my rather quickly.

(thumbs u

You mean Heritage might not remember who bought the artwork and complained about? That's a brilliant way to remain anonymous, at least to Heritage.

No, because according to the article, as far as Heritage knows, the bidder was Albert Moy. So they don`t know who the real bidder behind Moy was either. Anyways, my point is that if the owner feels so strongly he wants to raise a public stink over the issue, then he should have the guts to identify himself.

You mean Heritage might not remember who bought the artwork and complained about? That's a brilliant way to remain anonymous, at least to Heritage.

No, because according to the article, as far as Heritage knows, the bidder was Albert Moy. So they don`t know who the real bidder behind Moy was either. Anyways, my point is that if the owner feels so strongly he wants to raise a public stink over the issue, then he should have the guts to identify himself.

and why is he kicking up a stink 5yrs after it happened ?

I have bought and sold many items thru Heritage some at my max bid some below. When I sold I thought I was treated very fairly.

When I purchased from the "Dentist" on ebay I am pretty sure I was shilled.

Take my comments for what they are worth.

Best, Tom

DA has a rather dubious reputation as a seller

Yeah not the best character reference from what I've seen on these boards lately.

Not sure I agree. Record prices are generally accepted as accurate even though the buyers name is not usually disclosed. If these reports are acceptable from anonymous sources, why shouldn't this persons report be?

Kinda like:

Anyone who makes accusations like this, or has these suspicions, and continues to deal with the party lose respect and sympathy from my rather quickly.

(thumbs u

It's often been said here on the boards that some collectors would buy from the devil himself if he had the right books. I'm just saying that line of thinking could apply here.

"I lost it at 27 ($27,000) or something like that. I'm out-bid ... and I've given up," he said. "I go to bed ... only to wake up the next morning and find out that I'm now the high bidder again."

The collector asked Moy to call Heritage, "asking them what the hell is going on." Best he can remember the conversation, Heritage told Moy there was a glitch, "and I'm out-bid again. Then another day goes by, and I'm the high bidder again."

What exactly is the "glitch"? Your going to tell me that the winning bidder decides overnight he is not or can't pay so they eliminate his bids? Someone explain this to me.

Comics only make up 3-4% of their sales? And coins 70%? Thank our lucky stars EJ doesn't have his hands in the coin part of the biz.......

Coin grading is literally 10 times bigger than comics. It's HUGE!

One single coin....1880-S Morgan Dollar...accounts for 110,797 submissions to PCGS, and 99,639 to NGC as of now. Maybe 5% of those numbers are crossovers and resubs (and that's being generous), but the rest are unique examples.

What's the count at CGC for all comics? 1.2 million?

One coin can rival nearly 9-10% of the entire graded output of another hobby.

Oh, sure, NGC's at 22 years, compared to CGC's 10...but does anyone think there will ever be any comic with 110,000 copies graded....?

Ol' Roy's got a point. ;)

"I lost it at 27 ($27,000) or something like that. I'm out-bid ... and I've given up," he said. "I go to bed ... only to wake up the next morning and find out that I'm now the high bidder again."

The collector asked Moy to call Heritage, "asking them what the hell is going on." Best he can remember the conversation, Heritage told Moy there was a glitch, "and I'm out-bid again. Then another day goes by, and I'm the high bidder again."

What exactly is the "glitch"? Your going to tell me that the winning bidder decides overnight he is not or can't pay so they eliminate his bids? Someone explain this to me.

Explanation: The fish got unhooked.....so it's time to cut some more bait..... :eyeroll:

It's often been said here on the boards that some collectors would buy from the devil himself if he had the right books. I'm just saying that line of thinking could apply here.

Not all collectors buy from the devil.

:baiting:

Not all collectors buy from the devil.

:baiting:

I dunno....Metro has an awful lot of customers..... ;)

:jokealert: