• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reflecting back on my OA journey ...

3 posts in this topic

I have been doing a lot of reflecting on my OA collection. ll in all, I am quite pleased. I would love to hear peoples reflection of their OA collecting experience. Mine goes something like this

I have actually been buying OA for over 20 years, but only in the last seven years taken a more serious attitude towards the hobby. I just looked at my CAF postings and I am sort of amazed at where I have come. Four years ago, I bought interiors and some splashes, now I only buy covers and splashes. Since taking my first plunge into covers, I have added a total of eight cover, all of which I love. And still, I have managed to add about another 10 splashes. It has been an incredible journey and I look forward to continuing with acquiring pages for my collection. I have met many great people along the way and truly appriciate the knowledge they have passed to me.

Greg, at what point did you decide to make the move from panel pages to splashes and covers only? (Your Breyfogle/Batman is terrific, by the way.)

I always loved covers and splashes but they were always so "expensive". I bought my first good splash off eBay (Buscema Submariner splash) for $260 which I felt was pretty decent. That was the point where I decided I would make the move to splashes only. Shortly there after, our own Mr Forman posted the Jungle Action 23 cover for sell. I just had to have it. Dan worked with me on the price and time payments and it was mine. At that point, it represented the 3rd highest dollar amount I spent on a collectible. I think that was the point I decided to start buying covers as well. I suspect the dollar level I spend will go up but I also suspect my threshold for buying will change as well and I will buy less often but spend more. The reason I say this is because I am find more often I like the items I like are more expensive. I have set general focus to be to pick up a cover or splash of every major dc and marvel character. So far pretty fun!