• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first CGC submission :)

35 posts in this topic

So with this discussion, has anyone put together a HOWTO for sending books to CGC? Including things like going through internet partners, how to pack, insure, prescreen, etc?

One thing I've been curious about is how many books is a good number to send in one submission? To maximize return on shipping costs, for example...

So with this discussion, has anyone put together a HOWTO for sending books to CGC? Including things like going through internet partners, how to pack, insure, prescreen, etc?

One thing I've been curious about is how many books is a good number to send in one submission? To maximize return on shipping costs, for example...

Increments of 30 get you the most favorable return shipping rates per book currently.

For pre-screening, you need at least 50, so 60 is best.

I remember my first submission to CGC it was a Fantastic Four # 1 I graded it as a 2.0-2.5 using OSPG grading and was hoping for that same CGC grade. It ended up being a 1.8 they really killed it because of the water stain on the back cover. Even though it was small about 1/8th of a inch.Once you send a few in and see how they grade you can get pretty close (thumbs u

I remember my first submission to CGC it was a Fantastic Four # 1 I graded it as a 2.0-2.5 using OSPG grading and was hoping for that same CGC grade. It ended up being a 1.8 they really killed it because of the water stain on the back cover. Even though it was small about 1/8th of a inch.Once you send a few in and see how they grade you can get pretty close (thumbs u

Getting a 1.8 when you thought it was a 2.0-2.5 is well within anyone's tolerance range. On another day, you could very easily have gotten a 2.0, or even a 2.5 (if the book leaned that way to begin with.)

Lower grades are a bear to grade, and being a quarter to half grade off (you called it Good/Good+, they called it Good-) is very acceptable.

Getting a 1.8 when you thought it was a 2.0-2.5 is well within anyone's tolerance range. On another day, you could very easily have gotten a 2.0, or even a 2.5 (if the book leaned that way to begin with.)

Lower grades are a bear to grade, and being a quarter to half grade off (you called it Good/Good+, they called it Good-) is very acceptable.

Very True

As has been mentioned perviously, I think the first submission is the biggest learning curve you can find. It certainly taught me a lot. :tonofbricks:

Just curious why this seems to be a commonality around here. Is it most people just naturally overgrading initially?...perhaps seeing books at their LCS graded a certain way and then following suit?

Because grading is something that does not come naturally. It's beyond easy to overlook tiny flaws because looking for them is not something one does in everyday life. I imagine QC inspectors have an easier time with it at first, but that's about it.

It is a scientific artform built by consensus that must be learned.

Only the super anal have a good first experience submitting.....

It also helps to have had experience in other, older slabbed markets such as coins and/or cards.

:hi:

As has been mentioned perviously, I think the first submission is the biggest learning curve you can find. It certainly taught me a lot. :tonofbricks:

Just curious why this seems to be a commonality around here. Is it most people just naturally overgrading initially?...perhaps seeing books at their LCS graded a certain way and then following suit?

Of the first lot of 11 books I subbed I was certain of getting eleven 9.8s back. I got three, three 9.6s, three 9.4s, a 9.0 and an 8.5. It taught me a lot about the way I graded.

My next eleven moderns to go through garnered six 9.8s and five 9.6s. An SA book came back 7.5 and a BA key came back 8.0. I was more than happy.