• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows 7 comic scanning question

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

When Microsoft Vista came out, my ability to quickly scan large groups of comics went down the drain. Windows XP had allowed me to scan comics with a single "preview" setting. Vista's scanning program requires that I preview each comic before scanning it. In doing so, it doubled the time it took to scan a pile of comics.

My question is: Has anybody looked at Windows 7 to see how the scanning program works? Please share your thoughts!

Thanks,

Dave

I don't have an answer to your question, but someone here pointing out the window XP scanning feature was a frigging godsend to me. the HP software that came with my HP scanner/printer combo was horrendous. basically, i didn't bother scanning for a year it was so irritating/complicated and slow.

I haven't tried scanning with my laptop that has vista...it was my wife's project to set up the printer/scanner with bluetooth I bought for it for that purpose...that was 4 months ago...she's my tech geek and doing a lousy job

I tend to do the preview on each one anyway because I like to resize to give a little space on the borders, which also results in a bigger scan of the item in question for some reason. Does Windows 7 make that take longer than it does on XP or you just don't like the extra step?

Hi everyone,

When Microsoft Vista came out, my ability to quickly scan large groups of comics went down the drain. Windows XP had allowed me to scan comics with a single "preview" setting. Vista's scanning program requires that I preview each comic before scanning it. In doing so, it doubled the time it took to scan a pile of comics.

My question is: Has anybody looked at Windows 7 to see how the scanning program works? Please share your thoughts!

Thanks,

Dave

I run Vista Ultimate and scan without a preview. Of course, I do it in Photoshop Elements using the HP software that came with my AIO. Very fast...I can swap slabs on the scanning bed, scan, crop, and save in less then 25 seconds.

I don't have an answer to your question, but someone here pointing out the window XP scanning feature was a frigging godsend to me. the HP software that came with my HP scanner/printer combo was horrendous. basically, i didn't bother scanning for a year it was so irritating/complicated and slow.

I haven't tried scanning with my laptop that has vista...it was my wife's project to set up the printer/scanner with bluetooth I bought for it for that purpose...that was 4 months ago...she's my tech geek and doing a lousy job

I tend to do the preview on each one anyway because I like to resize to give a little space on the borders, which also results in a bigger scan of the item in question for some reason. Does Windows 7 make that take longer than it does on XP or you just don't like the extra step?

Yes, I can't stand doing the extra step. Like you, I like to leave a border around the edge so people dont think that I am cropping something out. I do this on Windows XP by simply setting my scan frame slightly bigger than a comic. I then scan the comic, but don't hit the finish button. Instead, I hit the "back" option, switch comics, and hit scan again. This takes less than 20 seconds per book. Vista didn't come with the same scanning wizard program as XP, and i can't scan a comic in less than one minute with it. I have no idea what Windows 7 can do.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Dave

I run Vista Ultimate and scan without a preview. Of course, I do it in Photoshop Elements using the HP software that came with my AIO. Very fast...I can swap slabs on the scanning bed, scan, crop, and save in less then 25 seconds.

I am not sure if I have Photoshop Elemnets, but I will take a look. As of right now, I don't scan on my "high powered" Vista computer. Instead, I use my super cheap mini computer that came with XP. I can do better than 2 scans to one using that one over my Vista computer. Hopefully, I can follow along with your thought and go back to using my real computer.