• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question for ian???

90 posts in this topic

hey ian,just wanted to know after you find your 36 or so comics to complete your dcs how long will you remain to buy the new issues that dc puts out every week or so? congrats on a run thats seems impossible

I would hope THIS TIME not to stop. I only gave up back in 1986 because there was no internet and no easy way of filling gaps. Back then, I had an almost complete run from 1958 to 1986, and there was no easy way in England of finding much Golden Age - I had five Action Comics out of the first 100, two Detectives out of the first hundred, two More Funs, etc etc.

My best ones were Star Spangled and Sensation - I had eleven of each.

And now here I am with 36 to go............... and worrying how to complete it, both financially and logistically.

Well, here's hoping that your final DC is either Detective 27, representing the pinnacle of comic collecting, or Buzzy 70, respresenting the absurdity of comic collecting.

Or Double Action 1, which seems to be the only comic I'm aware of that deserves a Gerber rating of 11.

Mind you, I guess Christine hasn't got one either.

I missed the "fireworks" earlier this month...so I just went back and read them.

Friend or Foe? hmmmm... good name choice... a foe for now when defending a lady's honor, but, later if and when approached appropriately, perhaps a valiant and resourceful ally??

Ian it seems plain to me that your brash "take no prisoners get out the phone book and call" approach was poorly received. Whiel we all here have felt the fever of the hunt and can emphathize with you for doing so, you must realize (by now) that to her, it was an affront and a shock. I think its up to you to take your enviable people skills you allude to that you use in business to calm Christine's ruffled feathers and make amends. Its not a question of right and wrong but you both have mutual friends and interests. You struck a bad note with her right off the bat and - -if you care to continue and share knowledge (or even duplicates?? in your quest) - - you might want to consider approaching her in a way that opens her doors rather than slamming it shut.

From what I gather you two could not be more unlike personalitywise!

But both share a unique goal with in all probability NO ONE else on the whole furshlugginer planet!!

From what I gather you two could not be more unlike personalitywise!

But both share a unique goal with in all probability NO ONE else on the whole furshlugginer planet!!

Jerome Wenker also shares the goal, and he and I are trading all the time, and I'm now even specifically looking for stuff just to help him. I recently got him a Flash 4, All Flash 29, All American 91, and Scribbly 3, all of which he's needed for ages and ages.

Great. Im sure you two will be very happy together. No seriously, no way you see yourself as having invaded her sense of security? And even if you dont agree that you did (by your standards) no way that you acknowledge that in HER mind (world) that you did?

Great. Im sure you two will be very happy together. No seriously, no way you see yourself as having invaded her sense of security? And even if you dont agree that you did (by your standards) no way that you acknowledge that in HER mind (world) that you did?

I can understand that she might not like phone calls from people she doesn't know, and I can understand that she might feel it intrusive, but if I hadn't made the same phone call to Jerome as I did to her, I'd be missing a few more comics now, so that ratifies the act.

I feel there is nothing wrong in phoning someone and would do so again in a flash in the same circumstances. I mean, what's the big deal ????

Because it was clear that my phone call wasn't welcome, I therefore would not ring again. But there is nothing wrong whatsoever in making that first call. So she didn't want it .... SO ??????

Big deal !!!!!!!!!!

I missed the "fireworks" earlier this month...so I just went back and read them.

I'd missed that thread, too. But I just read it.

Several years ago, I used to post on the DC boards on AOL (before it became a mega-giant. In the very beginning it was a fun place to be because DC's online HQ was there). I interacted with a lot of people there, but was very sparing giving out my phone number.

On two separate occasions, someone from those boards called me, without having gotten my permission to do so. It freaked me out both times. I think, in part, it has something to do with being a woman. Women live with an awareness of danger that I don't think men share. I don't go out alone at night without worrying about the risk. I don't open my front door without establishing beyond a shadow of a doubt who it is a-knocking. When ebayers asked for an in-person exchange, I dropped their comics at my LCS, and went back later to pick up the money, so that we would never have to meet face to face. I have caller-blocking on my phone so that only callers with full disclosure can get through. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a fearful or paranoid person. This is all simple common sense when you're a woman.

One of the "uninvited" men from the AOL message board called me to help him find a comic he needed. I did not help him. One, it would have taken a bit of work. But more importantly, I felt no desire to help him because he called without my permission. He could have emailed me and asked for my phone number, but he did not.

The other man who called me is the perfect example of why women are the way we are. He was a sociopath and a stalker. He made my life miserable. He scared me out of my wits. I actually had to call the FBI about him!

Were I putting together a complete run of DCs, and you called me out of the blue, I can only guess that I would not have been the warm and friendly person I usually am. However, if a friend had told me about you, and asked permission to share the number, I might have said yes. At that point, the reception would be all that you'd want.

Just remember that women live in a more dangerous world than you do, and plan your actions from there.

-- Joanna

I feel there is nothing wrong in phoning someone and would do so again in a flash in the same circumstances. I mean, what's the big deal ????

Because it was clear that my phone call wasn't welcome, I therefore would not ring again. But there is nothing wrong whatsoever in making that first call. So she didn't want it .... SO ??????

Big deal !!!!!!!!!!

The call wasn't the big deal, the big deal was you bringing up the unpleasantness of the call here in the forums. Based upon the women I've known, a good percentage of them--perhaps not a majority, but a strong percentage--might react the same way Christine did. They don't necessarily WANT to react that way towards someone extending the hand of friendship, but they sometimes do. So for you to bring it up publicly is embarrassing to her and untactful on your part.

I would have to think that her collection has a rather high dollar figure attached to it, so to have someone call out of the blue about it probably inspired at least half a dozen possible hypotheses in her mind about your motivation for calling...you could have been trying to verify who she is so you could come rob her.

I would have to think that her collection has a rather high dollar figure attached to it, so to have someone call out of the blue about it probably inspired at least half a dozen possible hypotheses in her mind about your motivation for calling...you could have been trying to verify who she is so you could come rob her.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. She already knew exactly who I was and the extent of my collection.

And as for motivation for calling, anyone who knows me would know that she's quite safe there.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. She already knew exactly who I was and the extent of my collection.

And as for motivation for calling, anyone who knows me would know that she's quite safe there.

So she already knew what type of person you were before the two of you had already met? Who told her about you, and do you know how much they told her?