• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people wonder why folks get a little bit peeved...

1,324 posts in this topic

People can say this is the typical pressing "same ole' same ole'" thread but it's has been very revealing on how the whole pressing debate has matured.

People now acknowledge openingly that pressing can be detected...

That maybe pressing does harm a comic...

That the game is being played and not likely to go away due to CGC's stance on pressing....

You can take this with a grain of salt but I see progress here in relation to finally seeing what's going on in this hobby. Kudos for Arex for providing the spark...

Jim

People can say this is the typical pressing "same ole' same ole'" thread but it's has been very revealing on how the whole pressing debate has matured.

That the game is being played and not likely to go away due to CGC's stance on pressing....

You can take this with a grain of salt but I see progress here in relation to finally seeing what's going on in this hobby. Kudos for Arex for providing the spark...

Jim

How many is many? If done propoerly it cant be detected. Guessed at happening? Possibly. Done right? Nope

Maybe Oswald did act alone hm

Cant really disagree there

Kudos for TTH2 acting like a nincompoop and giving me reason to call someone out for generalizing all people who press as dirtbags.

Jim

Since most of what you are referring to seems to echo my comments from yesterday, let me say I doubt my specific views represent those of the average pro-presser. I was a convert to the cause, based on practicality, not ideology.

Arex is still right, a well done press job is still very difficult to detect. I certainly don't have the ability to do so with anything even approaching 50% accuracy.

As for causing damage to a comic, please don't take my words out of context. I doubt pressing a book will cause any more damage then leaving a Priority Mail box with a slab in it in a hot car for a few hours. Its the old double cheeseburger analogy...sure its bad for you, but how many of them do you have to eat before you actually suffer long term health-related issues from it. Will eating one or two do it? Doubt it.

As for the CGC "game". Nothing new there either...at least not if you've been on these boards for any length of time. My delusions about the absolute integrity of the process were shot out from under me around 2004....what about you? My views on CGC are more pragmatic nowadays, and even with grading inconsistencies and all, Mark, West, and the rest of the gang still are Golden in my book. (thumbs u

So, in retrospect, another XXX pages of Pressing debate, with nothing new or remotely interesting to add to the discussion. Your results might differ.

So, in retrospect, another XXX pages of Pressing debate, with nothing new or remotely interesting to add to the discussion.

There were nudie pics this go round? :o

Yeah, but they were of Dale, and they got pulled early.

Jim

Since most of what you are referring to seems to echo my comments from yesterday, let me say I doubt my specific views represent those of the average pro-presser. I was a convert to the cause, based on practicality, not ideology.

Arex is still right, a well done press job is still very difficult to detect. I certainly don't have the ability to do so with anything even approaching 50% accuracy.

As for causing damage to a comic, please don't take my words out of context. I doubt pressing a book will cause any more damage then leaving a Priority Mail box with a slab in it in a hot car for a few hours. Its the old double cheeseburger analogy...sure its bad for you, but how many of them do you have to eat before you actually suffer long term health-related issues from it. Will eating one or two do it? Doubt it.

As for the CGC "game". Nothing new there either...at least not if you've been on these boards for any length of time. My delusions about the absolute integrity of the process were shot out from under me around 2004....what about you? My views on CGC are more pragmatic nowadays, and even with grading inconsistencies and all, Mark, West, and the rest of the gang still are Golden in my book. (thumbs u

So, in retrospect, another XXX pages of Pressing debate, with nothing new or remotely interesting to add to the discussion. Your results might differ.

I think your fanny pack has cut off the blood supply to your brain. Try reading all the pages again and you'll realize more people want full disclosure. More people are becoming aware of pressing and are asking questions etc.

What is with this obsession to compare pressing to cheeseburgers?

This is the typical presser response "same old nothing new.... :blahblah:"

Kudos to Arex for helping more people become aware of pressing (thumbs u

So, in retrospect, another XXX pages of Pressing debate, with nothing new or remotely interesting to add to the discussion.

There were nudie pics this go round? :o

Yeah, but they were of Dale, and they got pulled early.

taking up too much room on the server...

Yet. They cling to their original stance that pressing is not restoration and does no harm to a book.

This debate is over.

I would disagree that the debate is over. I haven't seen anything from the anti-pressing side to convince me 100% that pressing is restoration. Nobody has shown they can detect it with any kind of certainty whatsoever by the way so WTF is the point?

And as for the harm factor, as our esteemed colleague Jive has mentioned numerous times, it may indeed cause harm, but to what extent? How can anybody say with any certainty how a proper press job has made "x" book's life any shorter. And if it has, by how many days? If somebody can show me a book that has been pressed one time, properly, by somebody who knows how to do it and then tell me that said book's life has now been reduced by "x" number of days. Then I'll buy the harm factor.

From where I am sitting I see nothing but guesses being made........by both sides. That being said, I am inclined to view pressing as ok. At this point, I don't think I even care if it's disclosed. Why would I? What do I have to worry about? The anti-pressing crowd hasn't given me anything to worry about other than the "potential" harm it can do. But how much potential harm? What degree of harm? How much more harm other than normal aging or improper storage?

And being relatively new to these boards compared to many, please forgive my simplistic view of things. But nobody can tell me with 100% accuracy that I can't press a book under a stack of encyclopedia's and not get the same results as a pro. It's clearly within the realm of the "possible". Would I consider that book a PLOD? No. I may consider it restored in the literal sense of the word. But I would never consider that PLOD. So what's the difference? The process that was used that leads to potentially the same result?

I say let it be over. Let anyone who wants it, claim victory. There is no validation needed. Not one post from all of these threads will change anything. If only one side of the debate was left to post, it would still not change anything. It will not slow anything.

Misery loves company, I say let them have it to themselves.

I say let it be over. Let anyone who wants it, claim victory. There is no validation needed. Not one post from all of these threads will change anything. If only one side of the debate was left to post, it would still not change anything. It will not slow anything.

Where was this post 30 pages ago Mike? :baiting::grin:

oh, i think posts from these debates do indeed do something. not everyone who is reading them responds or makes their stance known.

now you could argue that these debates are tiring as hell and wish all involved parties would develop a sudden and irreversible apathy towards the subject matter, but i don't think one can blithely dismiss them as utterly irrelevant across the board.

:foryou:

You can't quit in the middle of the 100 years war...., :baiting: