• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people wonder why folks get a little bit peeved...

1,324 posts in this topic

so, the most highly regarded, most experience comic book restorian considers pressing restoration... hm

That's not exactly breaking news. That declaration is years old, and she released it when she became involved in NOD.

But the fact still remains true and is appropriate for this discussion since many in here are claiming otherwise. Likely the most highly regarded, most experienced comic book restoration expert in the world considers pressing to be restoration and should be proactively disclosed.

If she had gone to work for CGC (a job for which she was turned down for per Borock) would her position be the same?

Susan is a highly regarded professional, I but I no longer consider her to be the most highly regarded, though I do believe she is obviously in the top tier.

How is anyone supposed to guess what someone elses position might have been if a particular situation had been different? After demanding specific proof from the other side of the room, that's the kind of silly question you come up with to try and make a point?

And you may not consider her to be the most highly regarded, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be in the minority.

Brad,

While I realize that you love Susan and worship her, and while I hold her in high regard, you can no more support your assertion that she's considered the "best" than I can, so stop making it sound like you can.

I'm demanding specific proof because you're the one making the claim as you've been screaming for years. There's nothing new here. Do you know what's happened since you began your campaign?

More people have started pressing books.

My name isn't Brad...so you're going to have to try barking up a different tree, FK.

And you must not be a morning person, because the arguments you were making last night were far more coherent than todays. And as I mentioned before, the pressers are the one manipulating the books and claiming little or no damage. The burden of proof lies on them to back up THEIR claims. Not us.

No, you are the infamous Redhook. You can deny it Brad, but it's you.

Would you care to put a large amount of money where your mouth is?

so, the most highly regarded, most experience comic book restorian considers pressing restoration... hm

That's not exactly breaking news. That declaration is years old, and she released it when she became involved in NOD.

But the fact still remains true and is appropriate for this discussion since many in here are claiming otherwise. Likely the most highly regarded, most experienced comic book restoration expert in the world considers pressing to be restoration and should be proactively disclosed.

If she had gone to work for CGC (a job for which she was turned down for per Borock) would her position be the same?

Susan is a highly regarded professional, I but I no longer consider her to be the most highly regarded, though I do believe she is obviously in the top tier.

How is anyone supposed to guess what someone elses position might have been if a particular situation had been different? After demanding specific proof from the other side of the room, that's the kind of silly question you come up with to try and make a point?

And you may not consider her to be the most highly regarded, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be in the minority.

Brad,

While I realize that you love Susan and worship her, and while I hold her in high regard, you can no more support your assertion that she's considered the "best" than I can, so stop making it sound like you can.

I'm demanding specific proof because you're the one making the claim as you've been screaming for years. There's nothing new here. Do you know what's happened since you began your campaign?

My name isn't Brad...so you're going to have to try barking up a different tree, FK.

And you must not be a morning person, because the arguments you were making last night were far more coherent than todays. And as I mentioned before, the pressers are the one manipulating the books and claiming little or no damage. The burden of proof lies on them to back up THEIR claims. Not us.

I'd prefer you just identify who you are.

Brad,

I'd prefer to take a large amount of your money.

Or you could just try dealing with the issues instead of attempting to attack or discredit the individual.

Brad,

I don't know, Brian. I never felt that Brad talked in circles like Domo does. And Brad was emailing me yesterday when I brought him up in the thread.

The later ramblings were absolutely similar to some of the Redhook thoughts. Whether it is him or it isn't him, it's certainly trumpeting the same thoughts.

Brad,

Or you could just try dealing with the issues instead of attempting to attack or discredit the individual.

Okay Brad, well I'm going to go on assuming it's you until you prove otherwise.

Ok. Have fun with that.

Ok. Have fun with that.

Thanks Brad, I will.

This is the reason that CGC give for not considering it restoration...it can't be detected...but that seems to be untrue.

That's not their reasoning for not considering it resto, Nick. They consider pressing a non-additive procedure, and that's why they don't consider it resto. It's right in their FAQ.

Jeff, to the best of my knowledge, CGC's original stance revolved around their inability to detect it (if a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody around...). This evolved...got finessed, if you will...over time and I would ask why this should be? Why did it need finessing?

Nick, even if you're right, what does their original stance have to do with anything? Their current FAQ on the topic is not new, it's at least several years old. It's the only policy that holds any relevance.

Here is what a Pro-Presser thinks: Pressing is restoration. Most of us know it, and won't argue the point otherwise. If well done, it is difficult to detect, though certainly not impossible. However, most of the folks I know consider it to be so incredibly uninvasive as to make the whole point moot. Might one decent press take a few years off of the "life" of a book...possibly, I can accept that. But since that lifespan will still far exceed mine, or anyone else's on these Boards today, I'm willing to chance it. If I sell the book, I'll sell it with full Disclosure of what was done.

Do you think I would personally be sending my irreplacable Golden Age books (of which, I've only had a very small amount Pressed) off to be "worked" on if I for a minute thought it would come back looking like a scorched waffle? Or if those White pages would come back looking like they've sat in attic for 20 years? For some reason, its conveniently forgotten that not everyone who presses does it for profit...some of us will trade a higher grade and appeal for our personal books for what might be a shorter lifespan.

As for CGC, it is 100% in CGC's best interest to keep the game the way it currently is. We all know it. And as far as I'm concerned, if I'm a buyer of a high grade book, I need to assume its been pressed, with or without disclosure. Sadly, that fact has caused some of our brethren to pack it in and leave the hobby, or limit their enjoyment of it. And that sucks, it really does. :(

George, I take my hat off to you. Here's an honest, realistic opinion from 'the other side of the fence'. I give you great credit for admitting certain points that your own brethren cannot allow to pass their lips, for fear of the sky falling. :applause:

Ok. Have fun with that.

Thanks Brad, I will.

You're welcome, Dupcak.

Ok. Have fun with that.

Thanks Brad, I will.

You're welcome, Dupcak.

doh!

Ok. Have fun with that.

Thanks Brad, I will.

You're welcome, Dupcak.

That's the difference Brad, everyone knows who I am, but nobody knows who you are. You claim you're not Brad, but you are, so you just look stupid saying Dupcak. Unless of course you simply identify who you are, which you refuse to do.

This is the reason that CGC give for not considering it restoration...it can't be detected...but that seems to be untrue.

That's not their reasoning for not considering it resto, Nick. They consider pressing a non-additive procedure, and that's why they don't consider it resto. It's right in their FAQ.

Jeff, to the best of my knowledge, CGC's original stance revolved around their inability to detect it (if a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody around...). This evolved...got finessed, if you will...over time and I would ask why this should be? Why did it need finessing?

Nick, even if you're right, what does their original stance have to do with anything? Their current FAQ on the topic is not new, it's at least several years old. It's the only policy that holds any relevance.

Jeff, this is actually the whole crux of the matter.

CGC policy, the attitude of the market, the changes in Overstreet...all of this has been done for simple gravy train expedience. Nothing else.

They haven't debated this issue as we have. They haven't viewed the ethical ramifications. They haven't taken into consideration the views of the buying public.

This is purely an exercise in making money. It's that simple and changing the argument to justify the end result is how it's been all along.

Ok. Have fun with that.

Thanks Brad, I will.

You're welcome, Dupcak.

That's the difference Brad, everyone knows who I am, but nobody knows who you are. You claim you're not Brad, but you are, so you just look stupid saying Dupcak. Unless of course you simply identify who you are, which you refuse to do.

Shall we settle on a specific dollar amount now?

Or are you just going to continue with the childish accusations?

CGC policy, the attitude of the market, the changes in Overstreet...all of this has been done for simple gravy train expedience. Nothing else.

They haven't debated this issue as we have. They haven't viewed the ethical ramifications. They haven't taken into consideration the views of the buying public.

This is purely an exercise in making money. It's that simple and changing the argument to justify the end result is how it's been all along.

Years ago when pressing became more public -- I think it was known that this was all part of the gravy train grab for money.

There's no doubt in my mind -- that while there are some people who press for the aesthetics, the vast majority are doing it purely for profit.

Ok. Have fun with that.

Thanks Brad, I will.

You're welcome, Dupcak.

I'm just going to continue Brad.

So, just to be clear, your post claiming that CGC can detect pressing but doesn't want to was based on something that hasn't been a part of their FAQ for years?

Ok. Have fun with that.

Thanks Brad, I will.

You're welcome, Dupcak.

I'm just going to continue Brad.

Works for me, Dupcak.

Brad,

Brad,

I'm a turd head when it comes to proper debate, but if memory serves,

from my high school days, that burden of proof must be demonstrated by those

forwarding the arguement counter to the standard accepted norm.

If you are saying, as 40+ pages continue, that pressing IS detrimental,

then, where is that proof ? Sorry, Susan's opinion or Brian's, or anyone

else's OPINION doesn't matter. Where is the physical evidence ?