• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

This is why I love books with stains (hammered unmercifully by CGC), books with a dot of glue or CT, and books with married covers/centerfolds. If my entire collection could be comprised of those I would jump for joy.

I'd get 99% of the happiness at 20% of the cost.

This is why I love books with stains (hammered unmercifully by CGC), books with a dot of glue or CT, and books with married covers/centerfolds. If my entire collection could be comprised of those I would jump for joy.

Me too.

(thumbs u

Me too.

(thumbs u

You can. You own (or at least you did at one time acquire it from me) this married cover copy. Lousy if graded by CGC, but phenomenal eye appeal. :cloud9:

JIM84tif.jpg

The reason why people don't want to call pressing restoration is because restoration is traditionally seen as a negative in comic collecting. People have been tricked into thinking that they don't have restored books in their collection because of those who decided to define restoration as being related to adding or taking away from a book.

I made this argument years ago about trimming, and got lambasted, but I stand by it. If trimming was as difficult to detect as pressing, micro-trimming would be on the menu at your friendly neighborhood presser, and this adding/taking away paradigm wouldn't be used. "Cleaned and pressed" used to be a notation on purple labels.

The reason why people don't want to call pressing restoration is because restoration is traditionally seen as a negative in comic collecting. People have been tricked into thinking that they don't have restored books in their collection because of those who decided to define restoration as being related to adding or taking away from a book.

I made this argument years ago about trimming, and got lambasted, but I stand by it. If trimming was as difficult to detect as pressing, micro-trimming would be on the menu at your friendly neighborhood presser, and this adding/taking away paradigm wouldn't be used. "Cleaned and pressed" used to be a notation on purple labels.

I strongly disagree. You'll never find me on here defending trimming. Not sure why you're trying to equate them, they're just not the same, and it's not even a matter of opinion.

I strongly disagree. You'll never find me on here defending trimming. Not sure why you're trying to equate them, they're just not the same, and it's not even a matter of opinion.

His point is hypothetical, and it addresses the "impossible to detect" aspect of why pressing is so hotly debated.

His point is hypothetical, and it addresses the "impossible to detect" aspect of why pressing is so hotly debated.

This.

What if other guys started putting 'book has been pressed' on slabs? Would this increase desirability of non pressed other guy books?

I think this is a great post. If CGC and/or the "other guys" that dry-clean/press and encapsulate added this to thier label where they know with 100% certainty this work has been done it would certainly change the dynamic in the market. The "anti-pressers" would flock to the virgin books thus increasing demand.

There are already many pressed books in collections and floating around in the market to make this a reality IMO and many pro-pressers would either call foul or adjust to not getting books pressed if the demand wanes.

I do find it interesting that in some other collectible hobbies using technology to "restore" or "improve" a collectible is not frowned upon and can actually increase the value of an item. I think restored comic books in general get a bad rap. Why not leverage technology to improve these works of art we cherish so much, even better when you can't detect any improvement was done.

I do find it interesting that in some other collectible hobbies using technology to "restore" or "improve" a collectible is not frowned upon and can actually increase the value of an item. I think restored comic books in general get a bad rap. Why not leverage technology to improve these works of art we cherish so much, even better when you can't detect any improvement was done.

That's because in comics, people are taking very common books (lower grade silver for example) and turning them into higher grade items that are also not necessarily rare, but slightly less common and way more valuable, not to mention that it was often done for deceptive purposes/without disclosure. There are a bajillion copies of ASM 28, so touching up the black cover is only really done to make the book look nicer and for profit, not preservation, because preservation isn't necessary for copies of ASM 28.

Pressing is similarly done to make the book look nicer and for profit, which are inextricably linked, but it's acceptable because 1) it's impossible to detect consistently and 2) money.

What if other guys started putting 'book has been pressed' on slabs? Would this increase desirability of non pressed other guy books?

I think this is a great post. If CGC and/or the "other guys" that dry-clean/press and encapsulate added this to thier label where they know with 100% certainty this work has been done it would certainly change the dynamic in the market. The "anti-pressers" would flock to the virgin books thus increasing demand.

They would never do it because all books that are evaluated need to be on as level a playing field as possible.

Labeling some books as pressed and some being a guess would be totally contrary to the idea of having a 3rd party, impartial opinion.

They would never do it because all books that are evaluated need to be on as level a playing field as possible.

Labeling some books as pressed and some being a guess would be totally contrary to the idea of having a 3rd party, impartial opinion.

They would never do it because they make a fortune off the CPR game, and labeling books as pressed de-incentivizes this process. Which is fine because they're a business, but it's not about the higher ethics of impartiality.

They would never do it because they make a fortune off the CPR game, and labeling books as pressed de-incentivizes this process. Which is fine because they're a business, but it's not about the higher ethics of impartiality.

It just happens to be a convenient coincidence that they need to stay impartial, that they can't detect it accurately the majority of the time AND that it helps fuel the CPR game.

It just happens to be a convenient coincidence that they need to stay impartial, that they can't detect it accurately the majority of the time AND that it helps fuel the CPR game.

Do they still CPR in house?

14g0b2.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

They do.

Technically, CCS provides a pressing service while CGC provides a grading service.

To my knowledge, they don't solicit one to the other.

hm

I like to sit back and read threads like this and get perspectives from much more knowledgeable people than I.

I've long questioned - what's the big deal with a small amount of color touch? (shrug)

I could collect so many more books and at a higher grade for a fraction of the cost and who cares about resale if you're really buying for PC. :idea:

They do.

Technically, CCS provides a pressing service while CGC provides a grading service.

To my knowledge, they don't solicit one to the other.

Damn those pesky Chinese walls. :sumo:

hm

I like to sit back and read threads like this and get perspectives from much more knowledgeable people than I.

I've long questioned - what's the big deal with a small amount of color touch? (shrug)

I could collect so many more books and at a higher grade for a fraction of the cost and who cares about resale if you're really buying for PC. :idea:

I think it comes down to the reasons you're collecting (shrug)

I never liked the fact that CGC provides a pressing service, despite the fact that I'm fine with pressing as a practice. I know I'm not alone in that, I remember some of those threads even if I was just a lurker at the time.