• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New Issue "Can't Miss Investment" That Actually Panned Out

47 posts in this topic

I've said it before, but I love to regale all you noobs :preach: ....I had a stack of Magnus 0s with card at the 1992 Heroes show in Charlotte. Traded them for $100 each in Silver retail. Oh happy day. :whee:

I did something similar. I walked into my (at that time) LCS and the owner informed me that he had a buyer if I had any Valiants that I wanted to part with. Because he had a buyer he offered me a good store credit amount for the Valiants which I then turned around and spent on HG SA original owner Marvels that he had just acquired. :whee:

I was thinking about this the other day, as walking into the LCS in the 80's and 90's was to be hammered by the owner about X, Y and Z "hot investment", the vast majority of which were totally bogus.

As Stan Lee once noted, putting "Collector's Item" on a comic book cover ensured it never would be.

During the 80's and 90's, the only time I remember these LCS bozos ever being right was one day in 1987/88, when opening entering my LCS, I was assailed by the owner who literally forced me to buy a few of these.

"It's the FIRST fight between Wolverine and Hulk since 181! - it's a can't miss book!!"

hulk-340.jpg

And while not a true key, it's still done very well next to the cover price, especially compared to the other can't-miss specu-books of the 80's and 90's.

My LCS had these for cover price for 6 months after they came out.

I was thinking about this the other day, as walking into the LCS in the 80's and 90's was to be hammered by the owner about X, Y and Z "hot investment", the vast majority of which were totally bogus.

As Stan Lee once noted, putting "Collector's Item" on a comic book cover ensured it never would be.

During the 80's and 90's, the only time I remember these LCS bozos ever being right was one day in 1987/88, when opening entering my LCS, I was assailed by the owner who literally forced me to buy a few of these.

"It's the FIRST fight between Wolverine and Hulk since 181! - it's a can't miss book!!"

hulk-340.jpg

And while not a true key, it's still done very well next to the cover price, especially compared to the other can't-miss specu-books of the 80's and 90's.

My LCS had these for cover price for 6 months after they came out.

i've actually never bought a issue off the newsstand just like ASM 300. :ohnoez:

superman_75.jpg

for awhile did.

this never did.

bloodshot01.jpg

Print run too high on the BS1. But, BS1 sold gangbusters at retail because it was on the stands the same day as Supes 75. There were regional retail sellouts of BS1.

Of course, there were hundreds of thousands printed that went straight to speculators, and all those regional problems were very short lived.

I missed out on the Sups 75, but I bought 40-50 copies of BloodShot #1

And sold 90% of them at a show less then 2 weeks after they came out for up to $20.00 a pop. I even traded 3 for a 1981 Joe Montana RC , which I sold at the same show for $80.00

I've said it before, but I love to regale all you noobs :preach: ....I had a stack of Magnus 0s with card at the 1992 Heroes show in Charlotte. Traded them for $100 each in Silver retail. Oh happy day. :whee:

I did something similar. I walked into my (at that time) LCS and the owner informed me that he had a buyer if I had any Valiants that I wanted to part with. Because he had a buyer he offered me a good store credit amount for the Valiants which I then turned around and spent on HG SA original owner Marvels that he had just acquired. :whee:

I traded a Amazing Fantasy 15 for a box full of Valiants. I had carried the Fantasy 15 for nearly a year; sold all the valiants in 2 shows. :) There's the other side of the coin for ya. ;)

I traded a Amazing Fantasy 15 for a box full of Valiants. I had carried the Fantasy 15 for nearly a year; sold all the valiants in 2 shows. :) There's the other side of the coin for ya. ;)

Win!