• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New Issue "Can't Miss Investment" That Actually Panned Out

47 posts in this topic

I was thinking about this the other day, as walking into the LCS in the 80's and 90's was to be hammered by the owner about X, Y and Z "hot investment", the vast majority of which were totally bogus.

As Stan Lee once noted, putting "Collector's Item" on a comic book cover ensured it never would be.

During the 80's and 90's, the only time I remember these LCS bozos ever being right was one day in 1987/88, when opening entering my LCS, I was assailed by the owner who literally forced me to buy a few of these.

"It's the FIRST fight between Wolverine and Hulk since 181! - it's a can't miss book!!"

hulk-340.jpg

And while not a true key, it's still done very well next to the cover price, especially compared to the other can't-miss specu-books of the 80's and 90's.

I think I only bought like 3 copies or something, just to shut him up, as I never speculated on new comics. I'd much rather put that money towards back issues I needed than multiple buy Moderns.

Ultimate Spidey #1

That's a very interesting one, as that's the closest I ever got to speculating on a Modern - so close that I went to my LCS and asked what he could get me a case for and how many variants would be included, etc. I even had a check in my wallet at one point.

My brain was telling me to buy, and I'm very rarely wrong with that kind of feeling, but I ended up not going through with it.

X-Men #266

Ultimate Spidey #1

And, of course, Walking Dead and Invincible #1.

266 I'll give you. USM #1, I don't know. I was buying comics at the time and thought it was for little kids. WD and Invincible, I call BS because no one was pumping those books as "investments" in pre-orders or when they were on the shelves. Yes, they are "successes" if you bought multiples, but they were not touted as "can't miss investment issues."

Yes, they are "successes" if you bought multiples, but they were not touted as "can't miss investment issues."

You're right about that, no one was really pushing it as a "can't miss investment" at the time - I just had a "feeling" about USM 1 and thought the concept + movie gave it a real shot. I even posted about this on my old CI site, touting issues up to #5 as potential money-makers.

X-Men #266

Ultimate Spidey #1

And, of course, Walking Dead and Invincible #1.

266 I'll give you. USM #1, I don't know. I was buying comics at the time and thought it was for little kids. WD and Invincible, I call BS because no one was pumping those books as "investments" in pre-orders or when they were on the shelves. Yes, they are "successes" if you bought multiples, but they were not touted as "can't miss investment issues."

USM 1 may not have been right away, but it was VERY early on in the run a winner.

Anybody want some Man of Steel 1s? I've got a few of them. :cry:

I searched for, and couldn't find, the thread a boardie wrote about his LCS 'forcing' him to buy a TMNT #1. And of course he showed the scan of it coming back slabbed 9.8

That is Boardie "telerites." I remember because I hate him so.

Just kidding.

But I really do hate him.

shogun #1 and micronauts #1 were can't miss in my mind. how'd i do?

lol, whenever I see clueless newbies state that "if I'd been around the BA, then I'd own boxes of Hulk 181 and ASM 129", it makes me laugh, as these dorks would certainly have stocked up on the "hot issues" of the day like Micronauts 1. :roflmao:

shogun #1 and micronauts #1 were can't miss in my mind. how'd i do?

lol, whenever I see clueless newbies state that "if I'd been around the BA, then I'd own boxes of Hulk 181 and ASM 128", it makes me laugh, as these dorks would certainly have stocked up on the "hot issues" of the day like Micronauts 1. :roflmao:

Don't forget NFL SuperPro # 1..... doh!

I did VERY well with Lady Death #1 and Double Impact #1. Back when "Bad Girl" books were scorchin' hot, and of course what would come to be know as "Pre-Unity" Valiant :luhv: ....ahhh such fond memories of rediculous piles of cash paid for these beauties :grin:

I did VERY well with Lady Death #1 and Double Impact #1. Back when "Bad Girl" books were scorchin' hot, and of course what would come to be know as "Pre-Unity" Valiant :luhv: ....ahhh such fond memories of rediculous piles of cash paid for these beauties :grin:

I've said it before, but I love to regale all you noobs :preach: ....I had a stack of Magnus 0s with card at the 1992 Heroes show in Charlotte. Traded them for $100 each in Silver retail. Oh happy day. :whee: