• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Under-Valued Gold, Silver, Bronze, & Modern Age Comic Books?

27 posts in this topic

I still feel the Marvel Team Up run is quite under-rated. I realize the early books sell for a lot, but that's b/c there's a group of people fighting over them..not b/c everyone knows about them yet. The stores are awesome, the covers are pretty nice, and a lot of the covers have the frame look that shows wear pretty easily thus they're not plentiful in high grade.

I also think Ghost Rider 1 (73) is still a bit underrated..Marvel Spotlight 5 WAS but I think that's long since over.

The ASM annuals between 6-10 are pretty underrated, they usually go for minimum bid despite being some very good books.

Captain America between 120-130 are fairly underrated as well and feature some of the best Cap writing you'll see (other then ToS of course).

Brian

Most under-rated in what respect? Do we mean undervalued from a CGC pricing point of view? I'll have to pass as unqualified to judge. But if you view value as deriving from excellent stories and art not yet fully reflected in the price guides, I would point you to virtually everything Giordano personally edited at DC, first in the late 60's, including:

Teen Titans 19-30 (esp try to find a nice TT 25)

Aquaman 40-56

Beware the Creeper

Hawk & Dove (first series)

and then in the early 80's Batman line:

Batman 340-351 or so

Detective 511-520

Also, in general DCs are under-rated compared to Marvel, so you might want to check out the thread at

Best Bronze Runs

Finally, for a non-DC choice, I'd point out any of the various Nexus series and mini-series handled by creators Baron & Rude.

Cheers,

Z.

I always get a kick out of the replies to a question of this type. They generally consist of bronze and silver Marvel & DC titles.

I believe the most under-rated books are the ones that I nary hear metioned on these boards ie:

E-Man: - Joe Statton artwork with interesting stories. Talk about under-rated.

Thunder-Agents: - Come,on. Wally Wood in his prime. Daredevil #9 is much sought after because of his artwork why aren't these books more in demand.

Doctor Solar- Man of the Atom: - Check out the cover artwork on these babies The interior artwork was so-so but the stories were marvelous.

As far as the big two go I agree with Zonker on the Creeper series and one of the most under-rated Marvel IMHO is the Warlock. wink.gif

Breaking away from the Bronze Era, I feel that the most under-rated/undervalued comics of the Modern Age are the early Walt Simonson Thor issues (starting with #337). You can barely make back your slabbing costs on any CGC 9.8 issue from #340 on up. #339 is almost never seen on eBay (I've never seen anything higher than a 9.4 listed), #338 is only a little more common, and I think the low historical sale prices on #337 have discouraged people from listing the book.

The run was sheer genius, as good as anything that was being published in 1983-1984, and severely overlooked by collectors.

I would also like to see the indie comics from that era get the respect they deserve (American Flagg!, Jon Sable, Judge Dredd, Groo, Twisted Tales, Grim Jack, Starslayer, etc.) Awesome stuff that can usually be found in the dollar bins nowadays.

Gene

Have to agree that Wally Wood's Thunder Agent series is superb - also these were 25cent Giants in the mid 1960's - extremely rare due to lower print runs than the "mainstream" superhero books, and thus incredibly rare in high grade. Another series that is underrated is Marvel's "Astonishing Tales" up to issue 12 - featuring art by Wood, Kirby, Smith, etc.

Undervalued GOLD: Young Romance 1 . Sold a slabbed 4.5 for $300, which is the 9.4 price. A truly truly hard to find book, with the Simon/Kirby pedigree on it. Also Millie the Model 1 and Patsy Walker 1, both VERY hard to find, especially in grade, since Millie has that bright red cover and Patsy has the black cover.

most under-rated bronze age title is Master Of Kung Fu IMHO, not sure how well the current MAX title is doing, but the lack of cross-over into the regular super-hero universe always seemed to hurt its popularity.

not neccessarily under-valued though as i like buying them for cheap grin.gif

obviously hooked into the kung-fu craze of the 70's. but the writer/art team of moench & gulacy produced some of the best written stories & art of the period.

was different to iron fist in that it didn't involve shang chi going toe-to-toe with super-heroes, but was more of an espionage type deal.

sort of like bruce lee meets james bond i guess grin.gif