• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Platinum???

36 posts in this topic

Does anyone know which Batman or Detective Comics issues come in a Platinum edition? I know there's the Batman 492 platinum, but am wondering how DC decides to create a platinum edition, or if there's a way to find out if there are other platinum issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a list of all DC Plats:

Batman #492

Death: The High Cost of Living #1

Sandman #50 (this is called "platinum", but it's not really)

Black Orchid #1

Jonah Hex Two Gun Mojo #1

Swamp Thing #140

Action #700 (this is not a "platinum", it's a premium, but it's called gold/platinum)

Superman #75

Adevntures of Superman #500

Books of Magic #1

Extremist #1 (quite possibly the lamest "platinum" book ever printed.)

Witchcraft #1

World's Collide #1

You'll note that most of these are vertigo books.

There are also some Milestone issues that are premiums, like Xombi #1, Hardware #1, and Static #1.

Here's a 9.8 currently for sale on eBay. It says that there was a limited print run of 1,000 copies....

http://cgi.ebay.com/DETECTIVE-COMICS-675-PLATINUM-EDITION-CGC-9-8-BATMAN_W0QQitemZ400083396966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d26d42966

I actually looked at that book on eBay YESTERDAY night, and it was $59 instead of $99. :baiting:

I guess the seller reads this messageboard...

Here's a 9.8 currently for sale on eBay. It says that there was a limited print run of 1,000 copies....

http://cgi.ebay.com/DETECTIVE-COMICS-675-PLATINUM-EDITION-CGC-9-8-BATMAN_W0QQitemZ400083396966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d26d42966

!BbjglCQCGk~$(KGrHqMH-CsEquoIYNfSBKwkWS1cLQ~~_3.JPG

I don't believe they're limited to 1000 for a second. They are far too common. 10,000 is probably closer to the mark, remembering that this book was printed in 1994, near the very height of the variant craze.

Had they only been limited to 1,000, the book would have been far more "famous", and far more valuable at the time.

I actually looked looked at that book on eBay YESTERDAY night, and it was $59 instead of $99. :baiting:

I guess the seller reads this messageboard...

It also wasn't a promotional comic, it was a standard "order X copies this month, and get a free #675 Plat."

I always have to laugh at sellers who put things like "extremely rare" for items that were made in the thousands at the very height of the collecting craze.

lol

what makes that platinum? I've had a couple of copies of the Sandman 50, but I don't think I've ever seen any of those others in person... is that some kind of special ink on the cover?

It's an all-black cover with "50" printed in metallic ink - it looks like this:

sandman-50-plat-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

The Detective 675 says "Premium" on the cover, but the note on the CGC header card says "Platinum". Why the discrepancy? Does anyone know where this edition can be found in Overstreet? It's very confusing (to me anyhow!). Also, since there is no price on the cover, doesn't that qualify it as a promotional book? Just wondering.

what makes that platinum? I've had a couple of copies of the Sandman 50, but I don't think I've ever seen any of those others in person... is that some kind of special ink on the cover?

It's an all-black cover with "50" printed in metallic ink - it looks like this:

sandman-50-plat-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

thanks, but I was actually wondering about the other issues... I have the Sandman one, but I've never really cared about those other titles... the initial list marks Sandman as being different from the rest ("not really platinum," I think it said?) What's the different? What makes the other books Platinum and Sandman 50 different?

EDIT: nice freaking book, btw! I have a signed copy that I bought here on the boards that was supposed to be NM-ish, but the damned postalperson bent the thing, and now there are a million spine ticks up the side.

my apology to everyone but until I joined this forum, I never heard of the term TEC, what is the full definition of this acronym? thanks but it is finally bugging me enough to ask :P

TEC (or 'Tec) is the "Detective Comics" title.